“very good hotel”

Riad Le Grand Large
Ranked #42 of 75 Hotels in Essaouira
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Hotel is located in Medina, very easy to find. Pleasant staff. Hotel is beautifully decorated, especially the corridors. Tasty breakfasts.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 October 2011

Good location, middle of souks and near medina and the beach plus it was easy to find. My room was comfortable, double for one person and the water pressure in the shower was good.

Breakfast was served up on the roof terrace which was also a nice place to relax during the day and early evening. The riad was quite busy/full when I stayed there and some people had to wait for others to leave before getting an available table at breakfast time. I was usually the first one up there thus it didn’t bother me ;)

Fellow travellers were also friendly and I had lovely chats with many of them throughout my stay. Having my own bottle of wine was no problem at all. In fact, the staff were happy to borrow a bottle opener and a glass for me. The reception had a computer with Internet access for guest to use for free.

Would definitely stay there again and would recommend this riad to all my friends

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank finn-chick
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Fantastic location within the medina. Step outside the door and you're in the centre of the action, yet no noise issues. Our room was perhaps not the most luxurious we stayed in during our time in Morocco, but it was clean, functional and represented fantastic value for money. Breakfast on the terrace was freshly cooked and a real delight, and the lovely staff couldn't do enough to help. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maccers145
Reviewed 13 August 2011

This riad was ok. I cannot say much more than that. The best part is the roof terrace where breakfast is served every morning; it is very pretty and you can look down into the street below. The breakfast itself was a little disappointing, fruit juice, bread and jam, sometimes with some boiled eggs. The staff were very quiet but polite. The room and bed clothes were dirty - the decor is very dated which would not have bothered me at all if it had been clean! The bathroom lights were broken so we had to leave the door open when taking a shower. The shower was ok but a bit temperamental temperature wise! The riad is in a good location but it is extremely noisy all night - take ear plugs if you are a light sleeper!

Room Tip: I would not recommend staying in room 7 - I do not know what the other rooms are like!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Beautiful riad, very friendly, helpful staff (most spoke minimal English, one spoke English very well but this wasn't really a problem). Good location and easy to find. When we arrived we went to the rooftop to see the view. Wonderful smells were coming from kitchen. We were invited in where Jasmina was cooking lunch for the staff. We commented on how good it looked and smelled and were asked if we would like some. We asked for just one order and were given stuffed sardines, fish tagine, tea, salad, bread, a large bottle of water and fresh melon, Plenty for two people and all for 120 dh (12euros)! It was so delicious we asked to have lunch again the next day. Our lunch was made to our order and was again delicious. All in all a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eep619
Reviewed 5 June 2011

I traveled in Morocco for 3 1/2 weeks and visited Essaouira toward the end of my trip. I booked in advance and ended up getting a much better rate that the posted rate. Riad Le Grand Large wasn't exactly large, the room was a little cramped, but the location was great and the room was cleaned daily. The staff is French speaking, but you can get by with English. "Yemena" the lady who served breakfast was the sweetest women I encountered while in Morocco. While our communication was basically nonexistent it was great to sit with her at breakfast and she was great at the coffee refills! She repeatedly said what sounded like "internet" so hopefully she'll be happy to know I posted her picture below. If you stay here don't miss the opportunity to meet Yemena!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Welcomed with mint tea, clean rooms, comfortable bed, although pillows a bit firm for my liking. Lovely traditional interior design and the best shower I had in Morocco. Usual breakfast on lovely comfortable Roof terrace - also a good place for a quiet read. Not a 'smart' hotel but a comfortable one-apart from the pillows. I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: ask to see what rooms are available
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple