“Great place to stay”

Ranked #42 of 74 Hotels in Essaouira
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I stayed here with a friend for a week a couple of years ago for the music festival and a few days to chill. It was quite hard to find and it is worth paying a porter to help you with your bags etc. We were given a room on the top floor of the terrace and seemed to have the terrace to ourselves for a few days. It is in the middle of the medina and close to the main squares and sea. We were greeted with tea and biscuits each afternoon and breakfast was served daily on the veranda by the two most friendly ladies. On a couple of occasions we chose to eat dinner at the hotel and the food was all fresh and good. Our room was of a good size and very clean. We loved our stay and I am only sorry to the owners and their wonderful staff that I have not got around to posting this review until now.

Room Tip: The room on the top, opening onto the terrace was excellent.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank L D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rabat, Morocco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

this has some bad points, but the kindness of the staff compensate, for example the room was not ready by 14h30, but the man in the reception cooked us moroccan tea to apologize, which we really appreciated. the standard rooms are so small that I felt I would lack oxygen during the night, and the sunlight enters the room unavoidably at the morning due to the light curtains, so I, like many other previewers here, woke up many times since dawn. Overall, it is a good place for the price and for the location.

Room Tip: standard double rooms are too small sunlight enters the rooms very early
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

I had the large room to myself. 1 single bed and 1 queen.
In the heart of Medina. Just below my window where I can witness all the happening of the medina at my own comfort. Though it can get noisy but it was a my company since I traveled solo. Love the decor. Love the cleanliness. Love everything about this riad. A few steps away from the public hamma (public hot bath).
Pictures paint a thousand word.
MUST STAY!

Room Tip: If you enjoy to view the hustle and bustle of the medina asked for the room right above the street.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank NurAkmar
Poole, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

Chose this partly due to price as we are a family of six, and it was very reasonable especially as breakfast was included. Staff were friendly and we communicated well spite no English being spoken. All our rooms were clean and well presented, although ours (no1) was the smallest and smelt slightly damp. Beds were clean and made daily by the lovely female staff, breakfast was wonderful, made fresh for us each morning by the same and served on the roof terrace. We really enjoyed watching the hustle and bustle down below from the roof terrace both morning and evening. Was a little bit noisy at times in the evening/night but so conveniently located in the heart of the Medina that this was only to be expected and not that much of a negative. Would recommend this Riad.

Room Tip: Room 1 is a double and rather small, room 3 sleeps 4 people and looks out over the busy street and...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kathryn A
The Nehterlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

We booked here last minute because the Riad where we had originally booked wouldnt bring our booking fwd by one night without adding a hefty charge. The riad was within easy walking distance from the bus station, and nestled in a labyrinth of streets right in the heart of the medina. The staff were so very welcoming, by far the friendliest we have encountered in Morocco, they made us feel like family. We had a really nice room with a window out onto a small street. The room was comfortable and clean, the bathroom was the cleanest hotel bathroom we have come across in Morocco and everything was working perfectly. I loved the terrace, clean and attractive and a lovely place to eat breakfast.I did find the breakfast a little boring, though I loved the coffee and juice, and again the friendly helpful staff. It would have been better if they had wifi in the terrace as well as the rooms. The location was brilliant so near to everything, regardless of the labyrinth of alleyways it was always easy to find my way back to the riad, and each time I did I felt I had come home. We we definately return to this riad next year. We did not experience any bad smells or humidity in this hotel.

Room Tip: Even though we went as a couple this riad would be also a great location for single travellers. Ask...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Arad, Romania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

I stayed one night at this riad.
The room (no 4) was clean but smell was terrible.
High humidity, probably because of proximity to the ocean.
Good location in the heart of Medina, easy to find.
Breakfast was ok on rooftop.
Very friendly staff.
Wifi only available at reception area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Andover, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for a couple nights towards the end of our trip to Morocco. It was ok, purely as a place to stay. I'm not overly fussy where I stay as long as its clean as I'm only there to sleep, but my boyfriend can be quite the opposite.
The location is really good and easy to find, the breakfasts were really good and our room was clean, however did smell like damp - but after research prior to booking I did expect this as it seems to be something I have read often in reviews of many riads in Essaouira, but this damp smell may also be because the shower curtain didn't actually reach the floor so provided no purpose whatsoever as it didn't stop the water splashing everywhere, and flooding the bathroom haha! The riad was not as nice and staff were not as welcoming compared to the riad we stayed in Marrakech and the price difference was fairly big - being almost double to what we paid in Marrakech and from what we got compared to each you would think the opposite! But again, Essaouira being a tourist beach spot, prices would be expected to be a bit higher.

I would recommend as its a place to stay at a reasonable price, my boyfriend would probably say otherwise.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple