All reviewsone nightnice terracelight sleeperorange juiceplenty of hot watershowerwifiriadmedinajam
Reviewed 13 August 2010

The Riad Le Grand Large is well located at the centre of the Medina in Essaouira. When we arrived, the woman on the reception told us that the riad was full. We informed her that we have booked a double room. At the end and after a discussion, she recognized that she had an empty room for us.

It has a cheap price (around 37€), so you cannot expect something extraordinary. The size of the room (double room) is OK but it is not very clean. There was only one towel (dirty) in the toilet even though we were two people. The bed was ok but the pillow was too big and hard and the shroud had a blood stain.

The woman on the reception left us a computer to connect to Internet and inform us about the availability for the Supratours buses.

Conclusion: it is ok for the price

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2010

My partner and I stayed for three nights at this riad as part of our week long holiday to morocco.We arrived from the chaos of Marrakech to a haven of relaxation.The Riad is on one of the main streets in Essaouira.Everything is within a five min walk.The staff where very friendly even offering us the chance to join them for lunch,which was the tastiest looking tagine I'd seen .
breakfast on the terrace was lovely,a perfect way to start our day.There are many places to eat near by .The whole town has a very relaxed vibe about it.We were very sad leave .Next time I visit Morocco I'll make sure it's Essaouira I spend my time in and this riad to stay in....just lovely

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2010

In one of the main pedestrian (plus cycles, donkeys) very narrow shopping streets running across the town to the sea, with main entrances to the town at each end. Riad on three floors (plus roof terrace) with rooms around a central large square inner light air well. Roof terrace pleasant and small, nice for breakfast. We had demi-pension which was a mistake given the choice of nearby places to eat out elsewhere. Room fine, bright with view along the street., but only one upright chair. Beds a bit too firm for us. Bathroom fine. Staff friendly but 'learning'. Had to be prompted for a receipt. Visa system was down. Pay the night before you leave! Essaouira is about 3.3 hours by coach from Makkesch. Scenery en route not absorbing. Interesting place for a two night visit if you're not windsurfing. Very atmospheric in places well off the main shopping routes. You need to enjoy haggling and 'engaging' with hard-selling trades-folk.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2009

This riad is in the medina and right in the heart of the souks (shops), so it is well placed if you like to be in the middle of the action, and handy for a variety of restaurants, cafes etc! Also, it is only a couple of metres off a main street - which was especially beneficial at night - there being no need to walk down alleyways to reach your riad, as can be the case with some. The staff on reception were all very welcoming, friendly and helpful, some speaking English well, but also being tolerant of my limited French! This kindness has extended beyond our stay with their liaising with the restaurant where we left our camera on our last night (we realized once over an hour away, en route to the airport), collecting it, then sending it back to us in England! Our room was quite small but we were offered the choice between this and two bigger ones - however ours had a larger shower, and a window - unusual for some riads I understand - so we chose that one. The room was clean, and had nicely decorated bathroom and wardrobe doors. Breakfast was simple - french bread toasted, jam, marmalade, and honey, but delicious and generous portions of freshly squeezed orange juice, and a choice of tea, coffee or hot chocolate - which was great for me as I much prefer the latter. The entrance area downstairs and the first and second floors were lovely, with nice dark wooden doors and plants. If I had to offer an area for improvement it would be the roof terrace - where breakfast was served - this is not to the standard of the rest of the hotel. We paid 45 euros a night, and we felt this was good value for money, and friendly, helpful staff can't be underestimated!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2007

It's a really nice hotel, very friendly staff. Beautiful decoration, perfect location.
double room with private bathroom and nice views, very clean, for 49€ per night. I know it's a lot for being Marroco, but you would be surprised how much the prizes have raised, and it was absolutely worthwile.
you can have breakfast on their nice top roof, sunbathing.
I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Mineskrutable