“Awful treatment”

L'Etoile de Mogador
Ranked #88 of 173 Essaouira B&B and Inns
“Awful treatment”
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I arrived at the Riad L'Etoile de Mogador at 10pm after arriving from Marrakech on the Supratours bus. I had emailed the Riad a few days before to let them know that I would be late and to ensure that there would be someone there to let me in. They replied to say this would be fine.

Unfortunately when I turned up the man at reception told me that there was a problem and that the riad was fully booked. He didn't offer an explanation for how or why this had happend but said that he would take me to his friend's riad instead. I'm a female solo traveller and really didn't want to have to follow this guy to another riad but given it was then after 10:30pm and I didn't know where else to stay I went with him.

The riad he took me to was OK and I said I would stay there for one night (I was due to stay at L'Etolie de Mogador for two nights) and then I would move back to L'Etoile de Mogador for the second night but he said that they were also full the second night. I have no idea how this happens when I had booked, paid a deposit and also confirmed via email that I would be arriving.

He also gave me reassurances that despite having to move to a different riad I would only pay the same price I was due to pay for L'Etoile de Mogador.

I checked out the next morning and surprise surprise the guy from L'Etoile de Mogador hadn't communicated to the other riad that I had an agreed price for the night. After much arguing this resulted in me being overcharged and very angry with L'Etoile de Mogador.

I accept that this may have been a one off however my experience with this riad was terrible and I will definitely never be booking with them again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Summertime83

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 12 July 2011

This place certainly exeeded our initial expectations. Located just inside the walled town, in easy walking distance of the bus station. Loads of character and charming, easy going members of staff.

The guest rooms are arranged around a beautiful central atrium with communal lounge areas. Our room was quite long and deep with just one small window to the street, but remained cool and well ventilated from the sea breezes flowing through the narrow streets. Our en suite bathroom was surprisingly ornate and spotlessly clean,The only critisism I'd have regarding the room was that the bed wasn't particularly comfortable and sheets kept slipping off the mattress.

Probably the best feature of the hotel is atmospheric roof terrace - really quiet with great views over the rooftops of the walled town, the harbour and along the coast. It's possible to take breakfast up there and although this was of a fairly average quality, the location more than made up for this.

In conclusion, this place gave us a unique and memorable impression of our time in Essaouira and proved excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Although our room positioned just above the entrance was relatively quiet, we did experience some oc...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Samoens, France
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Staff were lovely and friendly. Yummy fresh breakfast every morning!
Great value for money in a good location. The room was very pretty and traditional, nice rose petals on the bed and cute finishing touches.

The kitchen was good and fully equipped. Nice little lounge area to watch television and use wifi.
Great outdoor and roof top patio with sun loungers.
Cute riad, would stay again! Downside can be very hard to find, even after asking and paying a few locals it took us a good hour to find in the medina.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank miasmith9
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Beautiful and spacious rooms, with beautiful bathrooms too. The best place I stayed in in Morroco. In the heart of the medina, very helpful staff, free internet access, nice roof terrace where you can have breakfast. Good value for the money. I think we paid something like 60€ per night for a room that could have 4 people in it!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank anajuly
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 August 2010

This was a nice basic place to stay. The location was convenient and the building itself nice. Things seemed a bit more worn down than other places we stayed.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Northampton
Reviewed 13 May 2010

I think we only paid 37 euros for a double room with en-suite, but the hotel didn't disappoint. The room and bathroom were both spacious and though not decorated to my personal taste, they had paid attention to detail when they did it. There was supposed to be free internet access, but it wasn't working when we were there. Internet cafes are so cheap in Morocco anyway. The hotel was quiet enough and we didn't have a problem being let back in. Staff were friendly and let us leave our luggage with them the day we were leaving. The best part was the roof terrace with sea view, where I could have stayed all day.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Felic84
Reviewed 12 April 2010

This lovley riad was so easy to find in the medina from the bus stop, when we arrived we had to wait a minute till they made our room ready, on the roof, with a view on the ocean, wanderfull. The staff was as warm as the Moroccan sun! Very very sweet! Free Internet, spotless, comfortable and very affordable! I will defenetly go back there again, these people has made me love essuira ven more.

• Stayed April 2010