“Quiet, relaxing lovely terrace specialy during the sunset”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Smara

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Essaouira
Hotel Smara
Ranked #65 of 74 Hotels in Essaouira
Barcelona
“Quiet, relaxing lovely terrace specialy during the sunset”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

I think it's very good option quality/price ratio
Rooms were simple but enough for me and the space was clean and tidy. I enjoyed the sound of the waves across my window and of course the sunset in the terrace, unforgeatable!

Very well situated "Scala" among antiquares and hand-made shops and near big square

Staff was kind and correct with me

Room Tip: Double room has a more space and the prize worth it. The 11th was the mine ;)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sergi E

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Our first night there we killed 7 bed bugs in room #12. Unfortunately, our stay coincided with the gnaoua music festival and other places in our price range were booked. We told the front desk and one person said the climate is too cool for bed bugs. As a person with a Masters of Science in Public Health (parisitology focus), I would like to state that he is incorrect. We switched the room to #3, on a separate floor level, slept in out own gear, and still killed a couple of bed bugs, although the infestation was not as bad. Stay away at all costs or you risk bringing the bugs with you on your travels!

• Stayed June 2012

Travellers are raving about these Essaouira hotels

Deventer, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed in the quatro room on the top floor.
I'm not a demanding traveler so in my oppion it's quite ok.
though the rooms were really not clean, a lot of dirt on the floor and the bathrooms were dirty even as the toilets.
A bit anoying, there were no poweroutlets in the room to charge a phone or camera.
though the sheets were clean and the beds ok, and the view in the morning was very nice.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Whatever you do....don't stay here. It was damp in mid summer. It was NOT clean at all and the bathrooms gave your gag reflex a good work out. I arrived and pulled back the covers to inspect the bed only to find bits of wall in my bed. Yes, bits of wall - the plaster was falling off into the beds. But i thought 'hey it's budget, ill brush it off n it'll be fine'. Then my friend spotted the first of the bed bugs! Now I don't mind one or two, it's to be expected in a cheapy hotel. However I awoke at 2:30pm along with my 2 travel companions only to find another one on my pillow and my friend to find 2 and my sister to find 3/4 as well. We swiftly killed them and turned the pillows over to return to our somewhat disturbed sleep. WOAH! A further 8 crawled on the other side and a further 4 scurried across the bedding. It was at this point we decided we wouldn't sleep in our room and made the move to the damp internal room (courtyard) - There was no one on reception to complain to or ask to be moved rooms so our only option was to set up camp in the courtyard, a deck of cards and ipod in hand.

After 3 hours sleep across the whole night, we were not impressed that noone came onto reception until almost 8am! By this time we were dressed and ready to leave. The only matter now was the pay! The man was outrageously rude! We had merely stated that we had not actually slept in our rooms due to the number of bed bugs and that we didn't really want to pay the full amount - hoping for a 10% discount or similar. The man went on to call us liars and that there was nothing wrong with the beds. We offered to show him the evidence but he told us we would have to wait for his manager who would be there in 20 mins. He then proceeded to call up to the cleaners - i can only assume he was telling them to clean our room to remove the evidence. He told us we should have said something to him, so we pointed out that noone was there to talk to at 2:30am! In the end we just wanted to get out and find a nice hotel so we paid our money and left! (it was only just over £15 for the 3 of us for the night, but it was the principle of it really)

We did manage to find a nice hotel for our second night, the Bleue Rivage, just off the main square. This was also listed in the lonely planet guide and was really lovely. It was 150dhr each, so roughy £10 a night. The rooms were clean and tidy and the bathroom was clean and didn't smell. The huge bonus was the balcony!!! overlooking the square and harbour. Just lovely, I would recommend this hotel for sure!

Essouira is the most peaceful and beautiful town. The residents are very chilled out and it was a welcome retreat from the manic nature of Marrakech (which was equally awesome in it's own way).

I will definitely be returning to Morocco. But not the Hotel Smara!!!

Room Tip: dirty, bits of wall in the bed, bed bugs galore!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank rjwl1989
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

My two girlfriends and I recently stayed just one night at Hotel Smara, while it is in a good area, close to the ramparts and the sea, this hardly makes up for the severe bed bug infestation!!! After just one night my friends and I have literally hundreds of itchy bites between us! We quickly checked out and ran around the corner to an affordable hotel and were happy to spend a few dirham more to escape the bugs. Please do yourself a favour and DO NOT even think about staying here.

Ps I do not understand how this place is listed with 3 stars!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank odessa1981
Krakow, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

Located in the heart of medina just behind Essaouira ramparts it is very good choice to stay. You can listen to the sounds of seagulls and ocean waves. Walking distance to the center square, port and beach. Friendly staff.
One hint - it could be great to see little ordinary rug on the concrete floor.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kasia_TA
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2010

We stayed there only 1 night and found the mattress covered with black little stains. Since we never dealt with bed bugs before we didn't know this was a sign of bed bug infestation. We saw some bed bugs just before going to bed kind of late so we put some essential oil
(lavender and clover) in the bed linen to protect us from bites, knowing we were only staying one night. We didn't get any bites but unfortunately we brought back some home with us, probably from leaving our baggage on the bed before we noticed anything.
We were staying in room No 12... beware!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends