“A good value Riad”

Ranked #44 of 74 Hotels in Essaouira
London, United Kingdom
“A good value Riad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2009

When you start looking for guidance on Riads on Trip Advisor, what you find is a mirage of reviews written by users who pop up once and once only, leaving you in somewhat of a quandry as to whether to believe them or not. You start looking for the slight criticisms which make the the review more real, but it is still very difficult to tell. so it was with some trepidation that we entered the first Riad we stayed at in Morocco - Riad Nakhla.

We were very pleased to find a scrupulously clean Riad which was in the process of having the walls and woodwork repainted in time for the summer season. Unfortunately my photos are taken a couple of days into our stay there and do not reflect the state in which we found the room.

Our room was the smallest of the three Riad rooms we stayed in whilst in Morocco, but the price very much reflected this and I thought the Riad was good value for money. There was enough storage space and we didn't feel cramped in the room which was very airy.

The Riad terrace had great views of the sea and a glassed in area for days when the famous Essaourian wind was just too much. We had breakfast up here a couple of days (typical breakfast - Moroccan pancakes, bread, jam, orange juice and tea/coffee - 30 dirhams - not included in room rate).

The location of the Riad was great - just off the main Medina street (Ave de l'Istiqlal), easy to find and handy for the town, beach and harbour. The staff were very helpful and arranged a traditional hamman for us. Unlike the 2 more expensive Riads we stayed in, Nakhla had locks on the doors.

I would definitely recommend this Riad.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bucharest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2008

I stayed there with my wife for one night, coming from Marrakesh and going to Agadir. The place is quite nice comparing with what we got in a riad in Marrakesh. It has a nice fountain inside and the birds singing in the house was a sign of good feng-shui :)).
It's true that the room has a window only to inside of the house, but I was expected this as it was inside the medina.
The stuff was friendly and the breakfast for 30 Dirham on the terrace was delicious.
The bathroom wasn't very nice, but it didn't seem to be uncleaned.
For the money we paid, it was more than OK.

• Liked — it seemed very professional
  • Disliked — may be the bathroom
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Rotterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2008

Stayed here one night

Pro's:
Great location: right on the main street of Essaouira
Nice rooftop terrace: you could see the sea and beach
Perfect value for money: 360 MAD double room including a good breakfast!

Cons:
small rooms, but for this price I can't complain

Stayed August 2008
saint aubin sur mer
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2008

I am quite surprised to read some rather disparaging remarks concerning this hotel as i just returned from there and was totally delighted with my stay.
Although the rooms are small, it IS a charming Riad (that traditionally do not have windows looking out but rather onto the inside courtyard). I found it to be a lovely little hotel with a management that does all it can to please. The decor and ambiance are in tone with the country and quiet a treat. Clean and quiet too. All in all a great place to stay for a reasonable rate with comfort and esthetics a plus.
I was not expecting a luxury hotel at the budget price but i was really pleased with the above average accommodations.

Stayed April 2008
Chiang Mai, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2008

After reading about this place in Lonely Planet, I decided to give it a try. I was thoroughly disappointed. I was told all of the singles have no window to the outside, just on the coutyard. If I wanted to put more money I could pay more than TWICE the price or just leave. The room was VERY small and dingey. with an old faded green cover. I wondered if the sheets had been changed. The entrance is through a dark alley even at two in the afternoon...lots of garbage on the ground which several stray cats were eating.. it smelled of cat urine and the entrance to the hotel was not much better. The man at the reception was just plain rude. This is SO unusual for Morocco. I love the reception here in Morocco. When I asked if there might be another room, since I had reserved by telephone, he answered basically take it or leave I really don't care.

I am French fluent and even speak a bit of Arabic.. I left it and walked arund the corner to Hotel Souiri. They were delightful. For approximately the same price I got a room with a large window, nice bathroom and clean as can be. The reception people were typically delightful. Maybe at some point this place was nice but no more . Loved Essaouira

• Liked — convenient location, not far from entrance to town
  • Disliked — everything else... smells, reception was terrible
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Essaouira hotels

Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2008

I've stayed in some pretty terrible places, but this is at or near the top of the list. Filthy rooms, inattentive (nonexistent) staff, hair on the floor, blankets that are way too heavy, mirrors that haven't been Windexed in years, unscrubbed toilets, damp, humid, just an overall terrible place. Lonely Planet made the dreadful mistake of listing Riad Nakhla as its "author's choice." I don't know how or why--it's incredibly misleading. I wouldn't even let my dog stay here. I was supposed to stay three nights and ended up staying one--found significantly nicer accommodation at Hotel Lalla Mira, an eco-hotel around the corner, for just 15 more euros a night. Even if it's your only option, don't stay here--head back on the night bus to Marrakech if that's the case.

• Stayed March 2008
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2008

Booked the day before on a recommendation from a book. it was the cheaper end of the market so we thought it would not be luxurious but clean would have been nice. Arrived at 11.00 to be shown into an unmade poky room. The bathroom was basically a cupboard and would have had to sit on the loo to brush you teeth!We realised we were checking in before noon so we dumped our bag so they could get on with cleaning the room. We returned to our room at 6.00pm to find it was still not made up We complained and the owner seemed totally uninterested so we left immediately. Dont stay here you must be able to find better.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple