“Lovely place to watch the sun go down..”
Review of Il mare

Il mare
Ranked #205 of 267 Restaurants in Essaouira
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I am quite surprized by the bad reviews... I went with a group of friends for dinner, quite early, and thought the staff were very good, accomodating, quick, attentive. I had lobster salad and some fries, sat leaning back on very comfy cushions in different colours, very relaxed...... Food was delicious! Or you could sit outside and listen to the waves crashing and watch the sun setting... Was a perfect end to a busy afternoon in the Medina.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We had a late lunch at this place, mainly because other places where you can also get a beer seem to stop doing lunch around 3 pm. The location is great but the restaurant looked a bit shabby and in need of a makeover. The waitress was helpful. My husband had a fried baby squid starter which he said was excellent. My own starter was a tomato salad and whilst it was nice it was grossly overpriced. I ordered seafood pasta for the main course which was slightly over cooked but the seafood tasted fresh. My husband had fish kebabs which were good. Overall we had a good meal but the price was steep for what it was and I went away feeling slightly ripped off.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We ate lunch at Il Mare on Friday, March 14. This place was recommended to us for the view, which was the only decent thing about the experience. We ate on the very top level under the "Berber tent" which had a view of the Portuguese fort and the sea. The food was only so-so -- I ordered the swordfish, which was a small, dry piece served with vegetables. My husband had the bream, which was also just so-so. Our daughters had the pasta with the cheese sauce which was bland and unmemorable. The prices were outrageous. To top off the day, I learned shortly after our visit that the waiter had stolen our credit card information. I know this because Il Mare was the first and only place where I attempted to use my card (I had read advice that discouraged using credit cards much in Morocco). I assumed it would be safe, thinking we were at a respectable establishment, and because the waiter brought the machine to the table, rather than walking away with my card. Luckily, my credit card company has a very good fraud protection department, and I received an e-mail alert the next day saying there was a suspicion of fraudulent activity and my card had been suspended. When I called, sure enough, the first attempt was on the exact same day -- March 14. And if that wasn't evidence enough, when my daughter overheard us discussing the situation, she told us that she had seen the waiter writing on his hand while we were completing the transaction tableside. At the time, she hadn't thought anything of it -- she just assumed he was "tallying the bill". Luckily, this was the only blot on an otherwise wonderful trip to Morocco. Hopefully the management at Il Mare will do something about this terrible practice taking place at their restaurant.

1  Thank connecticuttraveler6
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We were enticed by having a gorgeous view of the ramparts and the Atlantic Ocean. My partner had the common sole which he thought was excellent--tasty and very fresh. I think it didn't hurt that he could drink a beer with it. I had the shrimp soup which was just okay and it was expensive. The waiter was sweet, accommodating and helpful.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We love to come here and watch the sunset over the ramparts. Great view. Beer/wine/cocktail for adults, and pizza for the kids. We've come later for dinner as well, but the food is a bit overpriced in my opinion. Prefer to go for sundowners.