Desert Sky Backpackers
US$146
Agoda.com
US$200
US$185
Hotel Pension A la Mer(Swakopmund)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$75
All reviewsbed dormwell equipped kitchenfree tea and coffeeshared kitchenlovely garden to sitown bathroomsand boardingfree wifisecure parkinghostelgrasscampfacilitiesswakopaccommodationnamibialounge
Reviewed 3 August 2013

In May and June 2013, I spent 4 weekends at Desert Sky Backpacker (3 nights each time) and... I really enjoyed that place!

Its staff was always very friendly and can assist you with your bookings (dolphins + seals tours, sandboarding, skydiving, scenic flights, etc.). Otherwise, they seam busy all day round keeping the place clean!

Facilities include a kitchen, a nice garden with several braï (barbecue) areas and wooden tables + benches, as well as various plants, flowers and singing birds.

In the kitchen beside the garden I was happy to find all the instruments and electrical devices I needed to prepare my various meals. Note that tea, coffee, sugar etc are provided free of charge and available all day round.
The kitchen is also THE “strategic place” to socialise and listen to the thrilling travel stories of other guests.

Wifi also works in garden + kitchen, and I enjoyed working out there or skyping my family.
Note that, once you paid the ONE-OFF +/- 3 euros Wifi contribution, you can use the same code on all your e-devices, with no countdown as I experienced in other backpackers.

Desert Sky Backpacker is also ideally located:
- At 250 m of the regular shuttles' (Intercape, etc.) drop-off point (or a few meters if you take one of the local minibuses at Rhino Park in Windhoek and ask them to drop you in Swakop centre!).
- At 300/400m from town’s centre, its supermarkets, small shops, tourist info office, etc.
- At 500 m of Atlantic's waves + 100 more meters to reach Swakop’s famous (renovated) jetty,
- At 600 m of Swakop’s river usually dry bed, from where I started amazing sunrise joggings in the dune belt toward Walvis Bay.

In short: excellent quality/price ratio; I recommend to all backpackers!!
(I haven't experienced neither visited the single or double rooms).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank F-FlyingChris
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Overall we enjoyed our stay, but it seemed to be a bit pricey for what you get. The price was different than what was listed in the guidebook, although Desert Sky says that LP doesn't update the price for some reason and that they've had higher prices for awhile. There was no breakfast and no internet available, and the small kitchen was often crowded. However the staff was very friendly and helpful, we booked a boat tour and ATV tour through the reception, both were fantastic. Short walk to beach and downtown.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2013

My boyfriend and I, plus our travelling companion, stayed at Desert Sky Backpackers for 2 nights in March 2013. We decided to stay in a dorm room to save money, and checked into a small 4-bed dorm at the front of the house. The beds were clean and very comfy, and there was plenty of storage space in the lockable cupboards. The bathrooms were a walk down the garden path, which didn't particularly make me want to get up in the night to go to the loo, nevertheless the facilities were spotlessly clean and well maintained.
We used the braai pit and self-catering kitchen on one occasion and found it to be very clean and very well equipped - this can be a rarity in a backpacker hostel! There was also free tea and coffee available, which was a nice touch.
All in all, Desert Sky felt like a well-loved and well-looked after family home, with excellent security for our hire car, a lovely garden to relax in, and warm friendly staff who were very helpful in recommending trips and tours.

Room Tip: Some people have complained that campsites are quite expensive, but remember that you are also paying for the very well kept facilities!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We found this guesthouse after driving all day from Etosha. The woman at reception was very helpful and recommended a seal/dolphin cruise, that I loved. The place was booked except for one room that slept four. My friend and I were given the large room for the price of a two person room. The location is very convenient, within a couple blocks without being directly in the mix. The kitchen facilities were nice and clean. There was WiFi available for purchase - one fee for the entire stay. My only complaint is that we were in a house with four rooms that slept up to 10 with just one bathroom. One morning I could not get into the bathroom before my 8am tour pick-up. Also, my friend used the laundry services and she had several articles of someone else's clothing in with her load. She could not remember if she was missing any of here things.

Overall, a great find for us. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Good location, only 5-10 minutes walk into town centre with restaurants and bars.
The hostel consists of several buildings with a green garden. There are also showers outside which are really nice.
Stayed in a 4 bed dorm which was a small room, but beds are comfortable etc.
Toilets were clean.

Unfortunately the camping sites (camping in the garden) cost almost as much as staying in a dorm room. Therefore we changed hostel when arriving with a camping equipped car.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Swartr47, Owner at Desert Sky Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2012

Thanks for the very nice write-up you gave of Desert Sky. If you camp you do not pay for your car, tent or bed, you pay for the facilities. Both camping and dorms use, water, electricity, toiletpaper, free coffee and tea, TV etc. and all the cleaning. That is why there is only N$20.00 differance between camping and dorm beds. Hope this info will help? Warm Regards, Betsy