“Top notch backpacking”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swakopmund
Desert Sky Backpackers
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Backpacking around Africa for 5 months with my girlfriend and stayed here in November 2011.
Absolutely wonderful after just having roughed it in Namibia's north.

A lovely relaxing garden with lounge chairs & wooden picnic tables to relax/eat, braai (bbq) sets we could use, big clean kitchens (one for the people staying in the double rooms, one for the people camping & using the dorm), clean showers, friendly staff.
We first stayed in one of the double rooms : fantastic, clean, relaxing.
Later we stayed a few nights in the 3-bed dorm : clean and comfy.

Highly recommended.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Desert Sky Backpackers

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Not a lot to criticse in the place itself - good standard of rooms, bathrooms, kitchen etc. Only criticism would be the price - which I think puts it a little out of the range of some backpackers, despite that being the main group its pitching for.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ed R
Swartr47, Manager at Desert Sky Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

HI
Very sorry that you feel we are over priced. We have clean rooms with very good matttresses, down douvettes and towels in the rooms. Ablution facilities are clean with plenty of hot water. Kitchens are fully equiped and there are barbeque facilities and safe parking. We also have tea, coffe, milk and sugar available in the kitchen all day. There is a lovely garden with space to sit outside in the sun. When compared to other places we are really not over priced. But thank-you for your respons. Safe travelling and hopefully we see you again.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed here after 4 nights in Etosha and it was great to have a place for a hot shower, clean bed, laundry service, and free coffee all day. There is secure parking and it's an easy walk to anywhere in central Swakop, including some good pubs and restaurants. Staff is helpful in finding things and will book activities for you.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eric r
Reviewed 3 August 2013

In May and June 2013, I spent 4 weekends at Desert Sky Backpacker (3 nights each time) and... I really enjoyed that place!

Its staff was always very friendly and can assist you with your bookings (dolphins + seals tours, sandboarding, skydiving, scenic flights, etc.). Otherwise, they seam busy all day round keeping the place clean!

Facilities include a kitchen, a nice garden with several braï (barbecue) areas and wooden tables + benches, as well as various plants, flowers and singing birds.

In the kitchen beside the garden I was happy to find all the instruments and electrical devices I needed to prepare my various meals. Note that tea, coffee, sugar etc are provided free of charge and available all day round.
The kitchen is also THE “strategic place” to socialise and listen to the thrilling travel stories of other guests.

Wifi also works in garden + kitchen, and I enjoyed working out there or skyping my family.
Note that, once you paid the ONE-OFF +/- 3 euros Wifi contribution, you can use the same code on all your e-devices, with no countdown as I experienced in other backpackers.

Desert Sky Backpacker is also ideally located:
- At 250 m of the regular shuttles' (Intercape, etc.) drop-off point (or a few meters if you take one of the local minibuses at Rhino Park in Windhoek and ask them to drop you in Swakop centre!).
- At 300/400m from town’s centre, its supermarkets, small shops, tourist info office, etc.
- At 500 m of Atlantic's waves + 100 more meters to reach Swakop’s famous (renovated) jetty,
- At 600 m of Swakop’s river usually dry bed, from where I started amazing sunrise joggings in the dune belt toward Walvis Bay.

In short: excellent quality/price ratio; I recommend to all backpackers!!
(I haven't experienced neither visited the single or double rooms).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank F-FlyingChris
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Overall we enjoyed our stay, but it seemed to be a bit pricey for what you get. The price was different than what was listed in the guidebook, although Desert Sky says that LP doesn't update the price for some reason and that they've had higher prices for awhile. There was no breakfast and no internet available, and the small kitchen was often crowded. However the staff was very friendly and helpful, we booked a boat tour and ATV tour through the reception, both were fantastic. Short walk to beach and downtown.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2013

My boyfriend and I, plus our travelling companion, stayed at Desert Sky Backpackers for 2 nights in March 2013. We decided to stay in a dorm room to save money, and checked into a small 4-bed dorm at the front of the house. The beds were clean and very comfy, and there was plenty of storage space in the lockable cupboards. The bathrooms were a walk down the garden path, which didn't particularly make me want to get up in the night to go to the loo, nevertheless the facilities were spotlessly clean and well maintained.
We used the braai pit and self-catering kitchen on one occasion and found it to be very clean and very well equipped - this can be a rarity in a backpacker hostel! There was also free tea and coffee available, which was a nice touch.
All in all, Desert Sky felt like a well-loved and well-looked after family home, with excellent security for our hire car, a lovely garden to relax in, and warm friendly staff who were very helpful in recommending trips and tours.

Room Tip: Some people have complained that campsites are quite expensive, but remember that you are also payin...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We found this guesthouse after driving all day from Etosha. The woman at reception was very helpful and recommended a seal/dolphin cruise, that I loved. The place was booked except for one room that slept four. My friend and I were given the large room for the price of a two person room. The location is very convenient, within a couple blocks without being directly in the mix. The kitchen facilities were nice and clean. There was WiFi available for purchase - one fee for the entire stay. My only complaint is that we were in a house with four rooms that slept up to 10 with just one bathroom. One morning I could not get into the bathroom before my 8am tour pick-up. Also, my friend used the laundry services and she had several articles of someone else's clothing in with her load. She could not remember if she was missing any of here things.

Overall, a great find for us. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends