Discover Namibia Private Day Tours and Safaris
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover Namibia is a Namibian Tourism Board registered company.We offer privately guided day tours in Windhoek and Swakopmund as well as a selection of longer tour options.Bookings can be made via telephone or e mail.
Austin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Just got back from our self-drive through Namibia last week and things could not have gone better! A beautiful country full of fantastic views and all the animals you can eat (oh, and see :p).
I gave Gemma our schedule, told her that keeping costs low was our priority and then left everything up to her. Our trip was perfectly balaced and spaced between driving, animal sighting and relaxing at the beautiful lodges - she could not have done a better job!
Staying in the lodges also allowed us to keep fuel costs low by driving a Toyota sedan - aside from a couple of "hairy" spots (which we made it through), I'd say that a 4wd would not be needed for the North-Central route. CABs car-hire did a fine job getting us started off and checking us out - recommended.
Thanks for everything Gemma and, everyone - don't worry about her relocating to SA as I'm quite confident that her expert services will lose nothing in the move.

Visited May 2011
4 Thank mrotsmit

Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fabulous trip organised with truly personalised service”
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We travelled to Namibia in April 2011 for 2 weeks organised through Discover Namibia - we found Gemma via Trip Advisor and everyone's fantastic comments and reviews were completely right. Driving ourselves and camping made the trip affordable (we booked our flights independently taking advantage of the South African Airlines sale) but the quality of the car hire and the campsites meant that at no point did we ever feel like we were saving money at the cost of not having an excellent trip. In fact I doubt you could have many of the fabulous experiences we had if you were not camping.

Gemma answered all of our questions by e-mail beforehand (and there were quite a few e-mails), made us welcome when we arrived with extra touches such as a phone, mossie repellent in the car and we got to have a drink with her in Swakopmund - which unfortunately will be less likely now as I think she has moved back to South Africa.

We only had 2 weeks so had to cram quite a bit in, Gemma advised excellently on our many thoughts on the itinerary about what was and was not possible/ best to do. She also changed bookings at the last minute due to the impact of late rains and provided us with alternative routes given the state of the roads. We stayed at Sesreim, Alte Brucke in Swakopmund, White Lady Lodge, Abu Huab, Palmwag Lodge and all 3 campsites in Etosha. All were great if very different - my favourite campsites were White Lady and Palmwag but obviously Etosha unmissable - particularly Namutomi.

I would definitely recommend Namibia to anyone and it is great for independent travelling - we were 2 women in our early thirties and felt comfortable throughout the trip. We would already love to go back - thinking Caprivi and Waterberg Plateau but also the Fishriver Canyon, I am sure if you have more than 2 weeks you would want to do all of these. Couldn't recommend Discover Namibia more highly - the sort of service I suspect you get with very expensive holidays but without the price tag and Gemma genuinely wants you to enjoy and see the best that Namibia has to offer.

Visited April 2011
1 Thank nicobobinus78
Beal100
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“The most PERSONALIZED service we have ever had!”
Reviewed 18 January 2011

My husband and I did a 2 week self-drive around Namibia and just returned yesterday. We had planned out most of the properties at which we wanted to stay, but needed help with booking/advice, etc. After talking to some people on Fodors that had used her, as well as seeing Gemma Dry as a regular responder on Tripadvisor and Fodors, I contacted her to see what kind of services she offered. WOW. Glad I did! Gemma is so knowledgeable about all the lodgings, the driving and road conditions of Namibia, the weather concerns about us going in January, dining out, activities, etc. She took care of all our bookings for us and had all our confirmations/itinerary arranged for when we arrived. She even met us at the airport in South Africa (where we were visiting for a week first), to give us our maps, vouchers, bug spray and converter. AND SHE LIVES IN NAMIBIA! Fortunately, she happened to be in SA when we arrived- would be tough to expect her to meet us in South Africa otherwise:)

Also, she carries a blackberry, so during the entire 2 week trip, every time we had a question for her, she would respond in minutes! I just emailed her to thank her for her wonderful service, as we are now back in NYC, and she still responded back within the hour!! She comes highly recommended and I am happy to speak to anyone personally if they have questions about using her services.

Lauren

Visited January 2011
3 Thank Beal100
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Gemma is the best!”
Reviewed 23 December 2010

Gemma of Discover-namibia-safari.net thought of everything, she met us with maps,bug spray and an electrical adapter. Then she took us to a bank so we could change money(we arrived by cruise ship), and led us in her car out of town to our first destination. I recommend her highly to anyone visiting Namibia. My only regret is not sending enough time in this fascinating and friendly country

2 Thank Lesleyontour
Toronto
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“Gemma of Discover Namibia MADE our trip to Namibia - highly recommended”
Reviewed 3 November 2010

We had planned to do a self drive and I had done a lot of research. Gemma was very comfortable working with an obsessive travel planner (like me). Upon my request, she outlined accommodation and suggestions for the itinerary I had sketched out, but what really distinguished her was she then took the initiative to offer an alternative itinerary that was far, far better and one I hadn't even thought of - the sign of a great travel planner!

She arranged all the accommodation and worked hard for great rates - plus was a terrific resource available to us while we were in Namibia....nice for your peace of mind as you travel through Namibia.

Here is a link to our (unfinished) blog - Namibia is a magnificent destination and Gemma/Discover Namibia contributed immeasurably to our wonderful holiday.

7 Thank ElizabethS