“fine hotel in Port Harcourt”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Juanita Hotel

Juanita Hotel
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Port Harcourt
Treia, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
“fine hotel in Port Harcourt”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed 3 days in this hotel, with a good service and nice african buffet which can be recommended if you like spicy food, The oxtail pepper soup is exellent. The Pizza bar serves good pizzas and burgers if you don't like the spicy african food.
The rooms are nice and clean and the pool is nice in the evening

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Port Harcourt, Nigeria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

Had my wedding reception party here on January 19, 2013, beautiful place to have a garden/poolside wedding reception. The hotel rooms are equally very good as i benefited from the weekend rates. When you place order for food and drinks particularly for your occasions please make sure it is properly documented as in "Bottles" or "Cans" and their quantities.

Room Tip: The rooms are generally quite.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Lagos, Nigeria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

Was at the Juanita Hotel for 5 days on a business trip in November 2013.

I hadn't been to Port-Harcourt in almost 13 years so I really looked forward to visiting. The Hotel makes a good attempt at professionalism. It is well located in the Amadi Flats area of Port-Harcourt which is one of the few remaining serene environments in the city.

It provides easy access to most parts of town but note that Port-Harcourt has a depressing traffic problem almost all through the day. Just make sure you stay near where you have business.

Rooms are spacious and well equipped with a TV, not very stocked mini-bar and good water pressure in the bathrooms. There is also a very nice sit out by the pool, a small indoor bar and then a gym and restaurant

A few downsides are that there are no elevators, so you have to walkup the steps even though there are only 3 floors in the hotel. The breakfast menu is poor. Very little option and then not quite tasty honestly.

Overall, I hear it is one of the best hotels to stay in in PH. I will recommend it to anyone having business in that part of town

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

I would have given it more stars because it really is a nice hotel but the following were big downsides for me:

1. no lift faciities
2. there was no hot water
3. the mini bar wasn't properly stocked.

To their credit once a complaint was made about 2 and 3, someone was sent up right away to fix it. But these things should have been checked before checking anyone into the room.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Port Harcourt, Nigeria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

I have been a guest at this hotel since Nov 2012,and I am still here.From the first night we arrived here the staff and management went out their to make our stay pleasant.My wife and daughter was here with me and returned beginning April back home.The rooms are in great condition ,and if there is a problem,it is resolved very quickly.The breakfasr which is included in the price varies from cereals,lots of fresh fruit,bacon,sausages ,eggs to order depends what you want and nice fresh juices and quality Nescafe coffee.Lunches and supper is excelent which gives you a taste of local food,as well as international food.They also have a menu to oreder from,like pizzas,burgers ect.All of a very good quality and taste.

The pool area is also very nice with live music on Friday and Saturday nights.Nice to chill have a drink and listen to good music.

A few times we needed to get to a shop,and as we do not have a driver with us the whole time,the GM offered the hotel driver to take us to the shop ect.Now this is customer service.

For some people that complain about everything,maybe they are not use to such high standars as this hotel offers.

I am still going to be here for a long time and know that the service I get is of good value.

To all staff at the hotel.KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Leonard W
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

Government invited us for an event and put us up in the Juanita Hotel, near Government House and the Parliamentary Assembly.
First impression was fine, we arrived after a work day, checked in, I took a walk and wanted to take a shower. There was conditioner and body lotion in the bathroom, I called house keeping, no answer, I called reception and they promised me to bring a shampoo immediately. That was at 18h. I didn't hear anything and called again, first house keeping (no-one picked up the phone) then reception, at 18:15h. I was told the shampoo would come immediately. Same calls at 18:30h, when reception told me that house keeping is not picking up their calls. I informed them that I know that, as I have been trying myself, and that is why I called reception. I asked if they might have a shampoo in an non-occupied room that they could give me and tI was told they would send somebody immediately to bring me shampoo. Shortly after someone knocked and brought me conditioner, soap and body lotion. I told him that I have all that and that I need shampoo. He said he would get the key to the depot and bring me the same.
When I heard nothing for further 40 minutes, I called reception at 19:10h and was informed that the guy just came back and he cant find shampoo. I showered without.
The point is that I was kept waiting for 1h15min for some shampoo in a hotel where the cheapest room is 45.000 Naira (220 Euro or $300) and nobody called me. In fact people were lying from the first minute.

After my shower I had dinner, the buffet, which is poor, very poor, compared to other buffets I recently had (Meridien Ibom, 5000 N, and Tinapa on Friday evenings, 2500 N for >30 different dishes). The chicken pepper soup was good, the salad bar a joke (and not a good one) with 'salad with chicken sausage' which means processed whatever. There was a fish dish and some swallows; there was a creme caramel and 2 different dry cakes. There was watermelon, no other fruit. There was no cheese. At one point the waiter came and brought me the bill, 5500 N for the buffet and water, and I signed it to the room.
A while later a waitress came and asked when I would pay. I informed her that I leave Friday morning, after 2 nights, and I would settle my bill then. She informed me that, since the room is paid by the Rivers State Government and there is no deposit, I could not run a bill and had to pay immediately. Embarrassed, as I was in a discussion with 2 colleagues from client organisations, I asked to settle the bill when I leave for my room as I had not finished dinner and my cards are in the room. She informed me that she wanted to close her register as her shift ended and go home. I asked her to transfer my bill to the next shift, not possible, or to wait as I was not going to my room that moment to get my cards.
She must have complained to her supervisor as a very nice woman appeared and, after hearing the story from my side, instead of 'there is a guy who doesn't want to pay', of course agreed that I could pay once I finish dinner. I made a compromise and paid cash, as I didn't want to go through more trouble with CC readers that dont work and 'bad connections'. I told the nice lady (restaurant supervisor) that I am actually still upset with the 1:15h that I waited for shampoo that never came, with the toilet that moves and is not properly fixed, with the missing shower head holder (there is only a BIG hole in the tiles, where it used to be) and that I didn't mean to get upset with her staff.

Suddenly she came back and offered that they change my room. I agreed, moved to another room after 10pm, noticed that there were even tiles missing in the bathroom, that there was mold in the shower and on the ceiling. I took pictures, downloaded them to my iPad and went back to show them at the reception. After a while I was showed 4 or 5 other rooms, one must have been just left by a smoker and was not aired out, one was strongly smelling like mold (the guy who showed me the rooms used the word 'suffocating') etc. and I asked to move back to my initial room, without shower head holder and a shaking toilet bowl. I was asked what time I would leave the hotel in the morning and that a team of people would fix everything from 9am on. I told them to include the chair with a broken arm rest, the broken fridge, to clean whatever brown stuff is leaking under the fridge. All things I found out once I actually used the room.

Despite being a vivid eater of pepper soups, bush meat and other Nigerian delicacies, I spent the night on the toilet, with heavy d..... So much to the buffet!

Breakfast was ok, except that there were still no fruits and I dont consider Nescafe as coffee. Breakfast was therefore bacon & eggs only.

I left some laundry and asked to have it back in the evening, as I was leaving the following morning.

When I returned to the hotel around 1 pm to change from a suit to field clothes, nothing had been done in the room. I reminded the people at the reception when I left again after 10 minutes and when I returned in the evening the arm rest was fixed and the brown sauce was cleaned.

This time I didn't take a chance and had dinner outside. When I returned I saw the nice lady from the restaurant and told her about the laundry and that I dont have it back yet. She checked, somebody knocked 10 minutes later and there was my laundry! Very happy I looked at the bill and saw that I was charged for 3 silk shirts, instead of undershirts (half the price). The guy went away to prepare a new bill, which dropped now from over 4000 N to under 3600 N. I paid, looked at the bill again and noticed that I was charged for a kaftan, 1100 N, instead of some pants and matching shirt. A 2-piece suit (800 N) was the closest I could find. I went to the nice lady and asked her for impartial advise. She agreed that this was definitely not a kaftan and consulted with the night shift manager, who also agreed. He went to the laundry and the laundry guy came and brought me my 330 N. Now we are down to N 3280. He tried to cheat me for almost a N 1000!

At 23:07h, while I am writing this, the phone rings and someone asks if I want to extend my stay. I tell him, as friendly as I can, CERTAINLY NOT!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank artalmon

Travellers are raving about these Port Harcourt hotels

Alabama, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

We are quick to pin-point problems but I have a wonderful stay at the hotel, been their for almost 11 days.
Food: There are always a good variety of continental and national food available. Salad bar is good, but maybe more salads will be good. But in general the variety offered I had no problems with
Rooms: The rooms are perfectly clean and since my last trip to the hotel, all interior and exterior walls of the hotel including room are re-painted and looks great. A few changes are noticed and maintenance in the rooms are minimum.
Management: I have met the GM on several occasions, he is always around from morning and till into the evening, but also noticed the duty managers around every day. GM and staff always helpful with questions or guidance given..
Restaurant: Staff very helpful, noticed on or two not always friendly but have adopt that Africans sometimes not having a good sense of humour. But in general they did well when it comes to service.
General: There are a couple of other international hotels in Port Harcourt I stayed at but when it comes to cleanliness, attention to detail and value for money Juanita Hotel is by far the best. Location is good and peaceful.

Room Tip: The executive deluxe rooms are good but the executive suites are spacious and big
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo