Le Meridien Ogeyi Place
Novotel Port Harcourt(Port Harcourt)
US$118
Travelocity
US$37
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
The Elkan Terrace(Port Harcourt)
Hotels.com
Juanita Hotel(Port Harcourt)
TripAdvisor
All reviewspolo clubpolo viewsmall hotelcrepesexcellent staypolite staffhotel restaurantworld classnice foodbusiness tripnigeriasecuritycomfortelevatorhenrybtwdelicacies
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I had eaten in the restaurant on a number of occasions but last weekend I finally got to stay. The hotel is of good quality and our room was of a good size, clean and tidy. Although the bed was somewhat firm it was the usual huge Nigerian size. It was very comfortable and the bedding was clean and modern. Our room had a great view over the local Polo Club. The air conditioning was effective and silent.

The TV was large and modern but the usual hotel problems of poor picture quality were a disappointment, I expected better for the cost.

Unusually there is no free Internet in rooms or the bar. However plug-in and wireless were available at a price.

The bathroom was large and well designed. However why does the shower head have a life of its own and make it almost impossible to use. For me this is symptomatic of a hotel that doesn't really care about its clients.

Although the hotel has clearly had some modernisation it suffers from the usual power issues with the change over from local power to generator being very slow at times!

The outdoor swimming pool looked inviting and clean before the clouds of ash were blown all around us from a neighbouring bonfire.

The bar/reception area is a little lacking in atmosphere which seems great during the day when going for lunch and a quick drink. However when staying over night it takes on a soulless feel. The constant sound of running water from the water feature becomes a little wearing after a few hours. The local art/statues etc are very good and give an African feel. The disjointed seating areas and silent TV stop it feeling comfortable.

The evening menu was very good with loads of choice including European and Nigerian cuisines. Once again I ate from the buffet and my wife had the fish and chips. We both enjoyed our meals greatly. The sweets were excellent with creme caramel and chocolate custard to die for.

Breakfast was standard fare for a Nigerian Hotel however the fresh milk in the tea was a treat.

The service was very good and all staff were very attentive.

All in all we will be only to pleased to stay at this hotel again in the future.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Dear Phil_the _head
Thank you for your detailed Review.
We are indeed glad that you finally got to stay in our Hotel and that you and your wife enjoyed our Meals and Services.
We will be delighted to have you again and these time no shower head problems as it has been directed to the department concerned and they are looking into it.
Once again, thank you for choosing and staying with us as we look forward to welcoming you soon.
Do have a great day ahead.
Warmest Regards

Reviewed 4 February 2013 via mobile

The food is terrible. I'm boycotting breakfast as I type. The service is the worst except this one dude in a sick colorful leprechaun/elf outfit. Joseph, he's rad. The pool is ice cold which is weird. Oh and they've got an AC blowing right on the buffet making all the bacon cold. The mattresses are that dense foam which I like and the butterfly prawns are super good, but they're definitely not worth the 50 dollars they surprisingly cost. Anyway, you won't find anything better so whatever I guess.

• Stayed: January 2013
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Good Afternoon Dear Jakesterb and thank you for leaving a feedback.
We are glad you enjoyed the Butterfly Prawns and like the Mattress.
We apologize for the discomfort you experienced during your stay; we assure you this is not our usual practice as we are dedicated to ensure Guest Satisfaction. However, all complaints have been noted and attended to.
Concerning the pool, perhaps the weather was cold as at time of use. Notwithstanding, the Pool attendant will always be there to guide and give further assistance in further.
Once again, we apologize as we look forward to serving you better.
Thank you and Have Productive Day ahead.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

The rooms are okay, the service so poor. From a hotel with that name i expected better.
The rooms were very clean and the mini bar was functional. The food was just average.
The management team needs to be reshuffled. I stayed there for 10 days and left just before Christmas. One of the days there was a reunion party and it was held at the restaurant, the pool side was booked for another party while the guests were served dinner at a make shift restaurants in one of the halls. That was the most unwise decision made by a hotel.

Parking is always an issue there which means that people were forced to park outside most of the time.

Gym was ok, most of the machines worked which was a plus.

Room Tip: Always get a room with a view of the polo court so you can get some greenery.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Checking In- The one receptionist was busy, but once she had completed attending the other guest check-in, I was promptly attended to. My SPG and other details was reflected correctly on my checking card, as my company representative had pre- arranged my bookings early the week. The concierge took our luggage to the room, and showed how everything works. At the pool service was rather slow, or non-existent, as I was forced to get my own beers at the bar. Watched an enjoyable polo game through the fence.
The dinners on Friday and Saturday nights were both total disasters!!!!!!!!!!. Friday night. We sat down without being shown by where to sit. Inquired to a passing by waitress how the eating arrangements work, either buffet or allecarte. We proceeded to place our orders. DID WE WAIT – from 20h30 until 21h30; eventually we walked out of the hotels restaurant, without any dinner. Waitering and Reception staff arranged that our food to be sent to the room, which arrived15 minutes later in our room. On Saturday night we opted to eat in the room thinking that service would be faster. No such luck. I can only concluded in my own opinion; is that there is something major wrong in the kitchen of the hotel, either with the chef or supervision of the restaurant.
Breakfast Saturday morning. We were the first to arrive, due business commitments earlier in the morning. FB staffs were rather on the scares side, but later picked-up when there was movement in the restaurant. Sunday morning we arrived much later, and the service was far better than Saturday morning.
Breakfast food selection. A wide selection of food, which was more than adequate. Fruits were fresh. Only compliant is that the food was not warm in the food warmers.
Dinner selection- No comment!!!!
Rooms were clean and well presented. Bathroom clean, beds smelt fresh and so did the linen.
TV worked.
Aircon cooled the room adequately.
My son made use of the swimming pool on Saturday afternoon. The pool was clean, and he really enjoyed it. We did use of the facility after the allotted time frame of 18h00. The gent pointed that out very politely. No offense was taken.The area around the pool needs a bit of attention, such as the water sproutes and painted surface. Normal maintenance issues.
Maintenance of the property- Painting is being done to the exterior of the building, but a second coat is required, as some spots are showing from underneath.
The interior of reception was clean, but on the warm side. Water feature was working. Common areas toilets were clean and smelt clean. All amenities were working!!!
Checking out was a breeze with no problems.
Wi Fi worked.
Did not make use of the other facilities as mentioned by the staff when we checked in, such gym ect.
Security was effective.
If the dinners are improved in better service and not we do not have it. The hotel would have received a much better rating.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

Thank you for your observations and the time you put in to give us a feedback.
We appreciate it as it gives us the room to improve and serve you better.
We are glad we met some of your expectation, and will work on areas of improvement, as we have
noted your concerns and will address them accordingly.
Once again we say thank you while hoping to welcome you back.
Do have a Pleasant Day.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

After staying at this establishment several times now. The last stay out did the rest for the absolute lackluster performance of staff. Their willingness to deceive and the general disdain shown towards guests staying in the hotel. Upon Arrival the two front counter staff were happily engaged in a conversation and ignored my presence for several minutes. When they finally did attend to me the process was very poorly handled, I got the feeling that they were doing me a favor by giving me a room.
For Dinner I decided to select from the menu and was informed that there was no beef so I was not able to have a burger or a steak and on further inquiry, the beef special chalked up at the restaurant entrance was not available either. So after trawling through several other selections I settled on chicken breast. The outcome was not unexpected, having seen the service and efficiency of the rest of the place. Unceremoniously dumped in front of me, by a gentleman who clearly was more interested in talking to other staff, made me realize that customer satisfaction is not the order of the day. Contrary to what I was expecting the serving staff dropped off ( Literally shoved down) a plate containing a scrawny chicken leg, Hacked up in Lagos street style and some rice.
After asking to see the manager I was told :
1) there is no manager
2) the manager has traveled
Finally the waiting staff tried to pass off one of the kitchen or cleaning staff as "the manager". A novel concept, but having stayed in this hotel before these tricks were no longer working.
So after a long wait a nice gentleman appeared who was clearly dressing the role, and offered to make amends. But seeing his staff and their approach to work, I think he will have a hard time.

The tale of customer disdain continues at breakfast. As usual the omelette station was unmanned, no coffee was ready and staff were not seen, but could be heard debating in the kitchen. So after calling, and some banging on the kitchen door a surly waitress came out to explain that as a guest I was not allowed in the kitchen and they would be with me soon. However, I should avail myself of the buffet in the interim. Old, dry bacon, no name meat sausages and baked beans, a breakfast do not make. The fruit was acceptable however and eventually someone made an appearance with coffee and the omelette station guy came out. After some haggling two eggs were produced on a slice of toasted white bread. It was explained to me that my request for brown bread toast was now satisfied, as the white bread had been turned brown in the toasting process...

Room Tip: Don't get rooms close to the auto closing doors. Whenever the power goes of the slamming will wake you up.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank fred f
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Thank you for your posting and bringing to our attention the lapses in our service standard during your last stay.
Please accept my most sincere apologies, this is certainly not the high service standard we are known for and I am extremely disappointed to learn of your negative experience. I have personally investigated this matter and have discussed this occurrence with the concerned department.
I would like to inform you that we have taken immediate corrective action and please be rest assured that we will take all the necessary measures to ensure that there is no reoccurrence of this nature in future.
Mr. Fred, once again please accept my sincere apologies.