“Not my best impression of a hotel of Le Meridien standard”

Le Meridien Ogeyi Place
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Port Harcourt
Lagos, Nigeria
“Not my best impression of a hotel of Le Meridien standard”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I had made an advance paid reservation at this hotel a few days before my check-in. As a photographer, I booked for a room with a great view of the golf course behind the hotel premises. But on the day of my check-in, I was deeply disappointed on how I was treated. First, I was asked to wait in the lobby for almost 2hrs after I had given my booking details; to make it worse my 3 yr old son was cranky after the long drive from the neighbouring state of Akwa ibom . After what seems to be an eternity,and repeated inquiries by me, we were eventually ushered into a room- a room with a dingy smell of tobacco. I had almost choked from the smell and immediately requested we were relocated. We were given another room with no view of the golf course I had originally wanted. They promised to relocate when there is an available room, but that never happened. Besides, it was already stressful for my family, so we stayed for our two nights and left. Not my best impression of a hotel of Le Meridien standard

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tuzare M
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear TuzareTuz,
Thank you for leaving a feedback regarding your last stay with us. We regret every inconvenience this might have caused you and your family. Be rest assured that your complains has been noted and will be handled accordingly. likewise your preference of a non smoking room.
However, we advice that, if check in is earlier than the normal check in time which is 2pm, we should be pre informed to avoid this situation from reoccurring.
Once again we regret the inconvenience caused and hope we have the chance to serve you better.
Warmest Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Abuja
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I stayed at the hotel from 8th to 10th May 2013 and made the mistake of handing in clothes for laundry.

I handed in 7 items for laundry with duly completed laundry form. When the clothes were returned late on 9th May only 6 items were returned. When I asked for the 7th item, a chinos trousers, I was shocked to be told that the laundry pick up man said he never collected it. So I asked for the form which I completed and when it was produced it was clearly indicated that a trouser was amongst the items. I asked to see the laundry man but he was never produced until I went to bed. I left the next morning with the hotel promising to investigate and revert.

I later discovered that I had left the sum of 140 Pounds in the trouser's pocket as I had arrived from London the week before. Obviously the laundry man found the money and decided to steal it along with the trouser and had to guts to state that he never collected the trouser even when it was filled on the form he collected with the laundry and he never mentioned this to his supervisor until I started raising alarm. Clearly there is a culture of stealing and impunity at this hotel as the Duty manager never really took any serious steps to address the issue.

I am still waiting to hear from the hotel on the outcome of their investigation .

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Patrick O
Dunblane, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I stayed in this hotel when it first opened and it really improved the hotel choice in Port Harcourt. Eight years on and it is still the best option in town - the price has now dropped to a sensible level. Security is first class - rooms have lasted well and are still in good nick - really comfy bed and free wireless.

The staff were all really helpful and friendly - checkin and checkout was seamless.

Ask for a room looking out onto the Polo pitch - pool a wee bit small but it all works and a nice terrace for a STAR beer in the evening.

Food is OK and is fairly similar to other West African hotels of the same standard. More of a small boutique feel - which works for me!

My choice in Port Harcourt!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room looking over the polo pitch away from the road!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Dear Renniealdo

Thank you for the feedback. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and consider us as the best in Port Harcourt.

We will continue to raise the standard and make your every trip a memorable one.

Thanks once more and have a great day.
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

I had eaten in the restaurant on a number of occasions but last weekend I finally got to stay. The hotel is of good quality and our room was of a good size, clean and tidy. Although the bed was somewhat firm it was the usual huge Nigerian size. It was very comfortable and the bedding was clean and modern. Our room had a great view over the local Polo Club. The air conditioning was effective and silent.

The TV was large and modern but the usual hotel problems of poor picture quality were a disappointment, I expected better for the cost.

Unusually there is no free Internet in rooms or the bar. However plug-in and wireless were available at a price.

The bathroom was large and well designed. However why does the shower head have a life of its own and make it almost impossible to use. For me this is symptomatic of a hotel that doesn't really care about its clients.

Although the hotel has clearly had some modernisation it suffers from the usual power issues with the change over from local power to generator being very slow at times!

The outdoor swimming pool looked inviting and clean before the clouds of ash were blown all around us from a neighbouring bonfire.

The bar/reception area is a little lacking in atmosphere which seems great during the day when going for lunch and a quick drink. However when staying over night it takes on a soulless feel. The constant sound of running water from the water feature becomes a little wearing after a few hours. The local art/statues etc are very good and give an African feel. The disjointed seating areas and silent TV stop it feeling comfortable.

The evening menu was very good with loads of choice including European and Nigerian cuisines. Once again I ate from the buffet and my wife had the fish and chips. We both enjoyed our meals greatly. The sweets were excellent with creme caramel and chocolate custard to die for.

Breakfast was standard fare for a Nigerian Hotel however the fresh milk in the tea was a treat.

The service was very good and all staff were very attentive.

All in all we will be only to pleased to stay at this hotel again in the future.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Dear Phil_the _head
Thank you for your detailed Review.
We are indeed glad that you finally got to stay in our Hotel and that you and your wife enjoyed our Meals and Services.
We will be delighted to have you again and these time no shower head problems as it has been directed to the department concerned and they are looking into it.
Once again, thank you for choosing and staying with us as we look forward to welcoming you soon.
Do have a great day ahead.
Warmest Regards
Reviewed 4 February 2013 via mobile

The food is terrible. I'm boycotting breakfast as I type. The service is the worst except this one dude in a sick colorful leprechaun/elf outfit. Joseph, he's rad. The pool is ice cold which is weird. Oh and they've got an AC blowing right on the buffet making all the bacon cold. The mattresses are that dense foam which I like and the butterfly prawns are super good, but they're definitely not worth the 50 dollars they surprisingly cost. Anyway, you won't find anything better so whatever I guess.

• Stayed January 2013
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Good Afternoon Dear Jakesterb and thank you for leaving a feedback.
We are glad you enjoyed the Butterfly Prawns and like the Mattress.
We apologize for the discomfort you experienced during your stay; we assure you this is not our usual practice as we are dedicated to ensure Guest Satisfaction. However, all complaints have been noted and attended to.
Concerning the pool, perhaps the weather was cold as at time of use. Notwithstanding, the Pool attendant will always be there to guide and give further assistance in further.
Once again, we apologize as we look forward to serving you better.
Thank you and Have Productive Day ahead.
Accra, Greater Accra, Ghana
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The rooms are okay, the service so poor. From a hotel with that name i expected better.
The rooms were very clean and the mini bar was functional. The food was just average.
The management team needs to be reshuffled. I stayed there for 10 days and left just before Christmas. One of the days there was a reunion party and it was held at the restaurant, the pool side was booked for another party while the guests were served dinner at a make shift restaurants in one of the halls. That was the most unwise decision made by a hotel.

Parking is always an issue there which means that people were forced to park outside most of the time.

Gym was ok, most of the machines worked which was a plus.

Room Tip: Always get a room with a view of the polo court so you can get some greenery.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Johannesburg
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Checking In- The one receptionist was busy, but once she had completed attending the other guest check-in, I was promptly attended to. My SPG and other details was reflected correctly on my checking card, as my company representative had pre- arranged my bookings early the week. The concierge took our luggage to the room, and showed how everything works. At the pool service was rather slow, or non-existent, as I was forced to get my own beers at the bar. Watched an enjoyable polo game through the fence.
The dinners on Friday and Saturday nights were both total disasters!!!!!!!!!!. Friday night. We sat down without being shown by where to sit. Inquired to a passing by waitress how the eating arrangements work, either buffet or allecarte. We proceeded to place our orders. DID WE WAIT – from 20h30 until 21h30; eventually we walked out of the hotels restaurant, without any dinner. Waitering and Reception staff arranged that our food to be sent to the room, which arrived15 minutes later in our room. On Saturday night we opted to eat in the room thinking that service would be faster. No such luck. I can only concluded in my own opinion; is that there is something major wrong in the kitchen of the hotel, either with the chef or supervision of the restaurant.
Breakfast Saturday morning. We were the first to arrive, due business commitments earlier in the morning. FB staffs were rather on the scares side, but later picked-up when there was movement in the restaurant. Sunday morning we arrived much later, and the service was far better than Saturday morning.
Breakfast food selection. A wide selection of food, which was more than adequate. Fruits were fresh. Only compliant is that the food was not warm in the food warmers.
Dinner selection- No comment!!!!
Rooms were clean and well presented. Bathroom clean, beds smelt fresh and so did the linen.
TV worked.
Aircon cooled the room adequately.
My son made use of the swimming pool on Saturday afternoon. The pool was clean, and he really enjoyed it. We did use of the facility after the allotted time frame of 18h00. The gent pointed that out very politely. No offense was taken.The area around the pool needs a bit of attention, such as the water sproutes and painted surface. Normal maintenance issues.
Maintenance of the property- Painting is being done to the exterior of the building, but a second coat is required, as some spots are showing from underneath.
The interior of reception was clean, but on the warm side. Water feature was working. Common areas toilets were clean and smelt clean. All amenities were working!!!
Checking out was a breeze with no problems.
Wi Fi worked.
Did not make use of the other facilities as mentioned by the staff when we checked in, such gym ect.
Security was effective.
If the dinners are improved in better service and not we do not have it. The hotel would have received a much better rating.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Thank you for your observations and the time you put in to give us a feedback.
We appreciate it as it gives us the room to improve and serve you better.
We are glad we met some of your expectation, and will work on areas of improvement, as we have
noted your concerns and will address them accordingly.
Once again we say thank you while hoping to welcome you back.
Do have a Pleasant Day.