“Le Meridien Ogeyi place - "struggle for space"”

Le Meridien Ogeyi Place
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Port Harcourt
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Le Meridien Ogeyi place - "struggle for space"”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Just about does it for Port-Harcourt but definitely shy of a 5 star hotel standard. In my opinion and to be fair, this should be flagged as a 3 star hotel with 4.5 star room quality. Bath tub is small, half glass mediocre shower curtain sham which leaves you with pool of water all over the flower post shower, parking lot just enough for 10 cars in the real sense, fitness centre with too much obsolete gym equipment packed into a tight cubicle with very low ceiling (obviously not for the claustrophobic), elevator which barely fits 3 people leaving you with a feeling of packed sardines in a tin, ororo restaurant/bar in a constant toss with the lobby for right of space, which btw also gets mobile to an even smaller room/hall on certain days for whatever events/functions, etc....and the list goes on and on...
If you're going to be in a hospitality business floating brand names like Le Meridien and Starwood luxury chain, better be sure you get it right otherwise you're only doing these brand names disservice.

Room Tip: If anything, polo view rooms on the higher floors are always better and I'd still recommend this...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Uyo, Nigeria
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Spent three nights in the hotel and room stay was comfortable. Good hotel if you are on a business visit; the hotel is constrained with space for car parking. Local and international cuisine were below expectations in room service and need to be improved .Front desk responded promptly to enquiries.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Nigeria
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I am a starwood preferred guest. I used 16,000 starwood starpoints to stay or redeem a night in this hotel on 28th November, 2013. On getting to the hotel, I was told their systerm is down. I waited for over 3 hours before I was assigned a room-room number 302 facing the Polo club. The room met the starwood standard and the furniture are relatively new and modern, but the bathroom has serious defect: (1) no shower curtain; (2) the bath tub is small so water from the sprinkler spills all over the floor of the bathroom and flows to the room. Inspite of the delay in my checking-in and the issue with their bathroom. Le Meridien Odeyi Place Port Harcourt remains my hotel of first choice in Port Harcourt and I sincerely recommend it to others.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear MWD,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a feedback.

We are happy to hear that we remain your first choice of hotel in Port Harcourt and will recommend it to others.

We sincerely apologies for the long wait at check-in which was due to system interface.

Thank you for your patience and for choosing us.

Wishing you a Happy Holiday in advance, as we look forward to welcoming you soon.

Best Regards.
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I spent three nights in Le Meridien in Port Harcourt, and can only, at best, muster an average rating. I guess expectations play a big role, and as a Le Meridien hotel, this one clearly does not meet standards. However, for a hotel in Port Harcourt, Nigeria, there are things I can overlook.

Overall, I found the room and bed pretty comfortable. Aircon worked well, bed was quite decent, and facilities were just fine. The bathroom, while rundown and needing a major refresh, was all right (though the shower sprayed all over the floor, and why only one bar of soap?). Food seemed to be pretty decent, though I stayed away from the buffet and tended to order ala carte (or room service). This meant longer waits, but hopefully fresher food.

Where this hotel is abysmal is in service - I booked a massage in my room earlier in the day, and the masseuse never showed up - even after 4 - 5 calls trying to get things straightened out. Also, I sent in laundry one morning, and even though I called the front desk to tell them it was there, it seems it wasn't picked up until the afternoon. The hotel did try and make things right by arranging an express service the next day for my laundry, and did extend my checkout, but the whole experience was uncomfortable and poorly handled (I even had someone at the front desk tell me I should have submitted my laundry before 7 am, when the cut off time clearly was written as 9 am). Additionally, I would have thought they would have offered the service as complimentary, but I guess that was expecting too much.

Overall, expect poor, slow service and mediocre facilities (for what is ostensibly a 5 star hotel), and you'll be just fine at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the polo field. Avoid being placed on the side near the generator.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tourismspecialist88
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Tourismspecialist88,

Thank you very much for taking your time to send us a feedback of your experience whilst in our hotel.

We appreciate your sincere and candid comment and the area of concerns well noted. Although the SPA is outsourced, we will ensure that such service doesn't reoccur.

We will be happy to recover this services and hope we get another chance to make your stay memorable.

Look forward to hosting you soon.

Best Regards.
lagos
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I had about the hotel from a friend, but i was not really expecting much, but i got much more than i expected. The lady receptionist was all smily, and welcome me as if we had we had met before or if i had stayed there before, but obviously my first. Checkin was do interesting, fun, professional. Room ead well laid out and room smelt nice. Must say till i checked out, was a great experience. But the little thing is that, the food was not too impressive, though good, but was expecting more, for one to explore. Best in port Harcourt in my opinion.

• Stayed October 2013
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Kekematic,

Thank you for your wonderful comment.

We are glad that you like our hotel and rate us the best in Port Harcourt.

We are committed to ensuring your every stay is a pleasant experience, and will ensure that you enjoy variety at the buffet on your next trip.

Thanks also to your friend who introduced our hotel to you.

We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Best Wishes.
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This hotel fails to leave up to the standard of an SPG hotel. The buffet breakfast had too little options. The bathrooms have old and archaic tiles. The design seems to leave out thoughts on ergonomics and comfort. The staff at the reception seem confused with the system, pricing, software or perhaps just fail to communicate the clear and exact cost of a room.

The lady I met at the reception was aggressive, had poor customer service skills and was very annoying. I asked to change my room before we paid and she made a huge fuss about it, her reason was that my fiancee who had remained in the room after we saw it, may have been on the bed. Finally she gave us room 307 which had hot water issues and weak air conditioning. Or maybe all the rooms are that way ...

Except for the door man I found and perhaps because of the reception experience I found the service very very poor. I will not recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Spillhate
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear Spillhate,

Thank you for posting a review. We appreciate your feedback and patronage.

We sincerely apologize for your experience during your last stay. Please be assured that all complains has been noted and will be handled accordingly as we are committed to serving you better.

Kindly accept assurance of our most sincere apologies as we look forward to an opportunity to welcome you again.

Please feel free to leave your preferences at the Front Desk for future use.

Warmest Regards.

Travellers are raving about these Port Harcourt hotels

Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I had made an advance paid reservation at this hotel a few days before my check-in. As a photographer, I booked for a room with a great view of the golf course behind the hotel premises. But on the day of my check-in, I was deeply disappointed on how I was treated. First, I was asked to wait in the lobby for almost 2hrs after I had given my booking details; to make it worse my 3 yr old son was cranky after the long drive from the neighbouring state of Akwa ibom . After what seems to be an eternity,and repeated inquiries by me, we were eventually ushered into a room- a room with a dingy smell of tobacco. I had almost choked from the smell and immediately requested we were relocated. We were given another room with no view of the golf course I had originally wanted. They promised to relocate when there is an available room, but that never happened. Besides, it was already stressful for my family, so we stayed for our two nights and left. Not my best impression of a hotel of Le Meridien standard

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tuzare M
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear TuzareTuz,
Thank you for leaving a feedback regarding your last stay with us. We regret every inconvenience this might have caused you and your family. Be rest assured that your complains has been noted and will be handled accordingly. likewise your preference of a non smoking room.
However, we advice that, if check in is earlier than the normal check in time which is 2pm, we should be pre informed to avoid this situation from reoccurring.
Once again we regret the inconvenience caused and hope we have the chance to serve you better.
Warmest Regards.