“Tired hotel...”

Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Port Harcourt
Aberdeen, Scotland
“Tired hotel...”
Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

I had to stay here before joining a vessel in nearby Onne. After dealing with all the hassles of Port Harcourt airport i looked forward to a decent rest in a decent hotel. I was to be disappointed.

The room was defintitely past it's best. It looked as though it had been cleaned once. Bed sheets didn't look all that clean either. The best bit was when the porter asked me if I could do anything else, like get a girl for me. Just because I am white doesn't mean I want a hooker.

Anyway, went down to the bar after a meal in the Chinese Restaurant (very good, the highlight of the stay). Didn't get more than a mouthful of a beer before me and my two travelling companions were surrounded by hookers. This doesn't bother me muc as normally telling them you aren't interested is enough. Not this time. I hate being pawed by strangers and the management shouldn't let them into the hotel.

I can't say I would want to stay here again, but perhaps one of the refurbished rooms might be more worth the price tag. The only bright spot was the excellent Chinese restaurant.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank skottydog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Abakaliki, Ebonyi, Nigeria
Reviewed 8 May 2013

In a country where government property is treated with levity, it is a wonder that this hotel still has charm. The rooms are cosy, antique and surprisingly comfortable. The food is good with a wide variety of dishes. The elevators work well but is curiously located a distance from the reception area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back row are quiter and presents a view of the swimming pool area
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Chooks O
Hotel-Presidential, Manager at Hotel Presidential, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Sir,
We thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon at the Hotel.
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Maybe it was good once, but when I was there nothing worked and everything is dirty and old. Even the shower/bath was filthy. Cant get a drink in the bar due to lots of hookers harassing you at every chance. The pool was green. The room service was ok. I stayed there when working for Shell, who were nto any better organised.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tinhatter63
Hotel-Presidential, Manager at Hotel Presidential, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Dear sir, we thank you for your review. The hotel has drastically changed since you were here last. The pool is no more green for instance but a clear blue as you can see from the unedited pictures.
The majority of the rooms have been renovated.
The hotel is on a major renovation program.
However, this looks like a review based on your experience of many years back.
We would like you to experience the new and improved Hotel Presidential.
We thank you once more for your review and we hope to see you again soon in Nigeria and Hotel Presidential so you can give a review based on an recent experience.
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Nothing works and everything is dirty and old. Tons of hookers will harass you at every chance. The pool scene is rad. The room service sucks. The Lebanese restaurant is good. General all around terrible African service. But it's kinda cool.

• Stayed February 2013
Hotel-Presidential, Manager at Hotel Presidential, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear sir,
We thank you for the 3 stars you gave us.
We hope to serve you better next time you are around.
We appreciate you found something positive in the pool and the Lebanese Restaurant.
Best regards.
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Since Novotel again messed up with capacity planning we had to move to Presidential. This Hotel is not recommend by most of the international companies, since it is state owned (just a quote). But security at the gate etc. made a good impression. Check in was quick despite the circumstances. Lobby is huge is in ok condition. After leaving the elevator I was very much impressed in the aisle, but after entering the room I was not impressed anymore. I have never seen such a dirty carpet. My colleagues in his room told me the next day, that he did not remove his socks. Sorry, this looked unhealthy. Otherwise the room is in the typical condition for most of the hotel rooms in tropical countries. Bathrooms are always interesting to look at, since you can discover the hidden talents of the maintenance staff. You better don't touch the door to the balcony, since there are a lot of sharp aluminum edges. Surrounding of the hotel is noisy. The bar staff is friendly, but you are endangered to meet professional ladies here.
Breakfast had the lowest standard of all Nigerian Hotels I visited so far.
As a backpacker I would have been happy with the hotel, but for a reasonable price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank opack
Hotel-Presidential, Manager at Hotel Presidential, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Dear Sir,
We thank you for your review of Hotel Presidential.
We will take your comments into consideration and treat them immediately.
Presidential hotel is under a big renovation program. Rooms and public areas are being upgraded regularly.
Most of the carpets in the rooms have been changed and in some rooms carpet is being replaced with tiles and parquet flooring.
We just finished renovating and upgrading our pool area.
The reception will receive a face lift soon.
Our pipes are being completely changed.
We hope to see you again in the hotel and please next time you visit us, try asking for a room with a new carpet or with parquet flooring if you prefer.
We thank you once more for your time in writing your review and we assure that the next time you are at the hotel, you will notice the changes.
Best regards,

Travellers are raving about these Port Harcourt hotels

Reviewed 26 May 2012 via mobile

We use this hotel as a crew change and I can say that it is ok. The Chinese is a must and everyone I have dined with has rated it very highly. Staying there we are made to feel very welcome and the hotel is clean and homely.

• Stayed May 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I stayed in one of the newly remodeled single bedrooms at the Hotel Presidential and having travelled all over the nation, I can tell you I was very happy having chosen the Hotel Presidential. Clean and neat rooms with creative decorations was a nice change to what I usually get when I travel in Nigeria.

I think my favorite thing about this hotel though is the amenities. Theres a cool bar near the lobby, or out by the pool where there are always people hanging about for a drink and good conversation. Then the food, I love the choice. There's the Chinese which rivals most places I've been to around the world. The intercontinental restaurant also had a good amount of healthy choices. Lastly the buffet has a nice choice of local delights and deserts.

All in all, I had a decent stay, and going back to port hart court will actually be appealing.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business