“Yum!”

Ranked #12 of 594 Restaurants in Astoria
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Turkish, Healthy
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Mysterious, adventurous, and decadent, savor our signature eclectic cuisine.
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Very small place, cozy, with friendly service. Very good beer and wine selections. Loved the red lentil dish! My husband is not as crazy about this place as I am.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

While it has a Broadway address the Mundo Cafe is actually on 32 St just a few steps south of Broadway, in Astoria, Queens, one block from the "N" & "Q" lines Broadway station (10-15 minutes from midtown Manhattan on the train), Mundo, a small, family run, friendly and unpretentious cafe, is a wildly eclectic dining place, offering original spins on traditional fare from Turkey, Argentina, Peru, Eastern Europe, the Near East and beyond. We've eaten here many times. What we like most? For starters, the Red Sonja, a red lentil patty, is a must; also the Peruvian Causa, a layered cake like concoction of yellow potatoes, mushrooms, beets, avocado & red onions. For mains: the Ottoman dumplings (ground beef or spinach), lobster ravioli, the veggie wrap al pesto or the mundo burger with frites (great frites - by all means get a side of the frites!). And the desserts are sinfully scrumptious - save room for at least one! Many veggie dishes are on offer and one can do tapas too. There are specials that change daily or by season. There is a good selection of reasonably priced wine and beer, but no hard liquor. A complete meal for two, including two starters, two mains, two desserts and a bottle of house wine will run around $100, minus the tip.
We're life long New Yorkers and Mundo is further proof of what we've said here before: in NYC the borough of Queens has the best food! Even if you're staying, or living in Manhattan, Mundo Cafe is very much worth the short subway ride out to Queens.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

I've eaten here several times, most recently with two friends visiting from out of town. This is the kind of place you will want to bring people to, to impress them with the atmosphere, food, amazing staff who make you feel at home, and with the fact that you know about it! It is small but comfortable, and beautifully decorated as if to make you feel you were perhaps in a sophisticated cafe on a narrow lane in Istanbul, even though you're on a quiet Astoria sidestreet just off of the N train. The owners are from Turkey and Argentina, and the food reflects on these cuisines but also, as the name of the restaurant suggests, takes elements from all over the world. The lentil ball appetizer is absolutely worth all the hype, and their house wine is a great Argentinian blend, especially good after breathing a few minutes. The food is fresh, fresh, fresh, and they take extra steps to make sure to cater to vegetarians and vegans, and that all their ingredients are top quality and natural. The Turkish manti are the best and most authentic I've had anywhere outside of Turkey. Everything else has been fantastic too. Go, and you will be happy that you did!

Reviewed 7 November 2010

Mundo is small, cozy, friendly, and romantic. My friend and I didn't have a reservation, but Willie took our number and said he would call when a table opened...while we looked for another restaurant closeby. Before we even made it one block, he called and said they would fit us in. Everyone working there was so friendly. Unfortunately, I didn't get the lady's name who took our order, but she was great. John checked on us often and we met a very nice couple sitting beside us. We tried the empanadas, the falafal, the dip, and barely had room for our dinner (which was also good). The sangria was great and my friend loved the warm, spiced red wine. I would have loved to try the chocolate cake, but there was no room in my belly. I will definitely go back. Jen

1  Thank HoosierJen
Reviewed 24 January 2010

Service was excellent in this restaurant that was tried because of other TripAdvisor reviews. The restaurant is also Zagat and Michelin Guide rated. The restaurant is small, but that did not affect the quality of service. The waitstaff was very pleasant and friendly. The atmosphere is nice with original art on the walls. I tried the Red Sonja signature dish, and it was my favorite. I also had the Turkish dumplings, and my dining companion had an empanada and the Falafel. The portions were a nice size, too. We also tried the deserts: souffle and creme brule. Everything was execellent. They also have a delivery service.