“Disappointing Brunch”
Review of Ovelia

Ovelia
Reserve with OpenTable
Ovelia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 615 Restaurants in Astoria
Price range: US$14 - US$30
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 30th Ave. and 34th Street
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We were looking forward to Ovelia after hearing good things about the food, but were disappointed at the outcome. The service was poor. The staff seemed distracted and not concerned about providing adequate service. We were not in a rush, but had a long wait before anyone took our orders and again until the meal was served. A Bloody Mary ordered when we placed our meal orders, was not delivered until well after the meal was served after several reminders. Members of our party asked to substitute or change part of a menu item, and were told flatly, and rudely, that this could not be done. If it had only been my husband and me, we would have left at this point. When the meal was finally brought to the table, one of the omelettes was cold and had to be sent back. Lemon potatoes were flavorful, but greasy. The feta bread is not worth being charged extra for it as a substitute for the seven grain toast that comes with the brunch.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

everything on the menu I love
and would like to say I think i have tried
my favorite though is the greek coffee steak

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I've been here for brunch. They have good brunch hours in the sense that they are open before 10AM to serve the br- part of brunch at a decent time.

I had the chicken sandwich with feta bread. The feta bread was amazing. Typically I don't get chicken at restaurants, let a lone chicken sandwiches. If you are like me, I completely understand, but you should make an exception for Ovelia's chicken sandwich. The feta break is the deal maker.

My friends had the beet omelet and wasn't pleased. It was more like beet pureed with egg to make a purple omelet. Another friend had an apple waffle and said it was not sweet. It came drizzled with yogurt but nothing sweet or liquid to accompany the dense waffle.

Our service staff could have been more attentive. Our water glasses were empty at times and when our table asked for more cream for coffee, the cream became milk and returned in a much smaller container.

Because 2 out of 3 of the members at my table had a poor experience, I have to bring the review from 4- down to 3-stars.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Confused and inattentive service, but maybe with a purpose: 2 waiters lazily tended to our table of 2. As a result, we were served and billed a $21 dish instead of the $12 appetizer we asked for. We were told that one of our main courses came with 2 sides, but the second was billed separately. When I complained, one of the waiters (a very ill-mannered woman) did not even waste one second to explain the discrepancy, and just handed me the same bill. For the first time in my 18 years in NY, I did not add any tip.

The food was much worse than the fare you usually get at much cheaper Greek taverns in Astoria: Everything was dry but, still, very greasy, overcooked, and flavorless. The sausage was charred, not grilled, with an aftertaste of burnt rubber. The $21 kalamari tasted more decomposed than tender, and as if they had been marinated in artificial smoking sauce. The pork souvlaki tasted like drywall in cubes.

Horrible experience, and the bill was $85.47 for 2 appetizers, a salad, and a main course, with 2 beers.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

After reading tons of good reviews about this must go greek restaurant in Astoria, I convinced a friend to go there. Once arrived for lunch we needed to wait about 20 mins to get a table, but once in, the atmosphere was nice and the waitresses kind and friendly.
We order some classics (some grilled meat, pita, gyro etc.), the plates were served quite immediately but both quality and quantity were quite disappointing compared to what read on the reviews. However their presentation was in line with the cute location and the prices were quite ok (you can definitely find cheaper spots in Astoria or Queens).
Overall, I won't go there anymore for lunch/dinner, you can definitely find better greeks in Brooklyn or Manhattan.