“Horrible”

Al Jabal Hotel
Al Jabal Hotel
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Salalah
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I always try to give write good about a hotel and usually refrain from giving basd reviews. But this one is an exception.

The room was spacious. And that was the only good thing about it. The hotel had no wi-fi. When I enquired, I was told to go to the hallway and use wi-fi.

The bathroom stank. The TV had limited channels and even those had a very bad reception. The food was equally abysmal.

I have never seen a worse hotel ever and I would recommend everyone to refrain from going there

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank ayan_bhattacharyya

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I visited this hotel last year the swimming pool was under maintenance poor services bad smell in the room the prices is higher like 3 starts and noises from air condition and disco but the staff was good this is only the good point in the hotel and his location

Room Tip: bad smell, noises in the room
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank warid_abde
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I grew to like some of the staff at this hotel but from the onset it was clear that I'd fallen right into not so much misleading advertising but fraudulent claims.

I came to Salalah for a teaching job and as my agency was not helpful in getting someone to meet me, identify where the college was or to help finding accommodation, I came a week before the contract start to search.

After a 48 hour journey was less than impressed that the receptionist giggled at the fact I had a heavy bag and no car.The room was utterly filthy, especially the hair covered bathroom and there were no towels.Due to the khareef /monsoon season, electrical plugs were live wires and the place was incredibly noisy. The pool was-well actually there is no pool.

I stayed for my expensive pre-booked two nights and left on the long distance bus to Muscat (7 Rial) before the third night as potential clients were haggling over prices up to and well over 100 Omani Rial.

Another rather uncomfortable addition to my unease was that visiting men, mainly from Saudi, were very keen to let me stay in the room but with with them in the bed, for only the price I had originally paid.I am not a prostitute and certainly not one who pays to be harassed.

Before checking out I asked the hotel's tourist office if they could help to phone Oman Air to see if I could fly to Muscat (as have friends I can stay with there) but as I was not fiscally able to join one of their tours, was told to go to Haffa House, which at the time I had no idea of. I was offered a map but at a ridiculous cost, so asked to use the wi-fi connection in the restaurant but as it was approaching check out time, was informed that I'd have to prepay another night's cost.
As the latter was rapidly escalating, I was unable to do so.

I have informed my travel agency, who booked my stay at Al Jabal Hotel and they have since marked its website and advertising as dubious. The Flight Centre travel agencies of New Zealand and Australia do not support false advertising.

Overall I strongly feel that the Al Jabal Hotel is a most disgusting place to showcase the Omani tourist industry. Fortunately i had happily lived and worked in Oman a year prior so knew that this hotel was right off the mark.

The hotel is far from the sea so don't be fooled by the advertising. If you are indeed on a budget during the khareef season, as i was, I would suggest looking at similarly uninteresting neighbourhoods such as Al Saada. In the latter there is the Al Nile Hotel.

Better yet-avoid visiting Salalah as a tourist during the khareef season unless you have are a self-punitive millionaire. It is humid, misty, dirty and full of road accidents.Definitely not worth it just to see a minuscule few metres of grass.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Fiona J
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I am fairly certain that the hotel may have once looked like the pictures on the hotel website-but it must have been a long time ago!! With only one gentleman at reception trying to sort things out (fortunately I think we were one of only two visitors) and struggling a little bit we were directed to our third floor room on the second floor?? With three walls a vibrant blue and the remaining one maroon it made for an interesting combination. The bathroom was less colourful but smelled so strongly of airfresheners that you couldnt miss the damp. The other thing missing was the seaview we had booked- that would be because it is nowhere near the sea. (The 'under construction' pool is still a hole at the back of the carpark). After a change of rooms - never before been so glad to see a magnolia wall and our request for some towels -well we got one between us- we decided to grin and bear it. We were asked to pay the night before we left as the clerk said the morning man didnt know how to work the card machine-just as well as in the morning the clerk was asleep out the back at 7.30 and we couldnt wake him up to check out anyway! The hotel is clean-ish but everything looks very tired and worn. We stayed for a second night but would not recommend this hotel for the prices they charge and it is definately nowhere near a 3 star.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank carolineaDubai
Reviewed 26 July 2009

I was already not expecting much from this hotel based on some reviews I have read but one night stay in it turned out to be worse than what I could imagine. First and foremost, it could not provide me and my partner with a good night of rest. Why? Because it has arabic disco music blasting away all night till 3am every day. When I went down to the reception at 2am complaining about it, the staff just told me to wait for just another hour more. After the music stopped, I still was woken up a few times by doors banging along the corridor. The doors were banging because every time you get in and out of the room, it was hard to shut it properly and there was no carpet to provide any acoustics.

The bathroom was pretty basic, the stinking smell was tolerable, floor constantly wet from lack of shower screen and there was no toilet paper! We asked for it the first time but the staff did not seem to understand much English. The second time we asked for it again, we had to wait for more than half an hour and that is after going down to the reception to remind the only guy at the reception.

The location requires you to have your own private transport or hail a cab if you want to go to town. One staff helped us to flag down a cab but got into the cab himself too to get to his destination first. When he got down, he did not pay a single cent and did not even bother to say thank you to us! We had a surprise at our breakfast to realise that they serve HOT diluted milk for bowls of cornflakes and of course, apart from that, the selection of breakfast was pretty limited.

Guess how much we had to pay for this 2 star hotel? It was a whopping 50 Rials!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2009

The Al Jabal Hotel is located on Sultan Qaboos Street in West Salalah, 5 minutes away by car to the souk and frankincense market. The rooms are spacious, television with international channels like BBC, but don´t expect western standard. The refrigerator stunk, the bathroom was dirty, no water pressure, a shower without curtain, corrosive armatures, all over mould, and beetles. Towels are old, no hair dryer in the hotel. This is an islamic hotel, so alcohol will not be served, and breakfast is no value for prize.
I will not stay there again, but it might be an alternative for low budget travellers instead of staying in the overprized Hilton or Crowne Plaza. We payed for a double room included taxes 30 OR per night.

• Stayed: March 2009
3  Thank ozeki68
Reviewed 17 January 2008

Very nice and clean hotel. Rooms are modern, very nice bed. Bathrooms needs some refreshment but still very clean.

This hotel is ideal for business travelling and is a good alternative to the overprized Crown Plaza and Hilton

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank greektravellerAthens