“get to know the "real" Governor of boquete”

Hostal Garden by Refugio del Rio
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Actually, we just wanted to spend one night in Boquete, but we enjoyed this hostel so much(so clean,quiet,nice People,great Kitchen for use, Garden,...) that we decided to stay one night longer. The owner is probably the most connected man in Central America and always happy to prove it to you!Every little Request we have-he had an Answer, made a Call, found a Solution,...we totally recommend this Place and we're sad to leave!!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 May 2012

Unbelievably beautiful, clean, and cheap - definitely a million times better than Mamallena, which we stayed it at our first 3 nights in Boquete. Then we found Refugio and never wanted to leave. Private room and bath with wifi, tv, great communal kitchen, beautiful outdoor seating and common areas for ~$27/night. The staff is very helpful and nice, the place is secure and safe, and the overall vibe is very relaxed. You won't regret staying here!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Okay, we've been running around all over Panama and this one is top of the line. Excellent in every way. Excellent price great people. You have to love them I am so picky and they meet all high marks.

Safety, near all the action, great service. It was truly a pleasure to stay there. I just happened upon this place. 85% of the places in Panama don't meet high marks for me. Take my word for it. These folks know their stuff.

Their new one is top of the line. Check it out. Pure bliss. No joke.!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are immaculate
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I am currently at the end of my five-night stay here at Hostal Refugio del Rio and all I can say is - what a pleasure to stay at this hostal! I did my research before I got here - read everything I could find on the web, TA and guide books. This hostal is definitely the best in town. Since I arrived, I also looked at the other ones in the area, which only confirm my review here.

I am an older woman traveling alone and this hostal works for everyone - young people and older ones alike.

Unlike many hostals all over the world (and I have traveled all over the world), this one has the feel of a charming small hotel. The furnishings are of very high quality and the kitchen is well appointed and even has granite counter tops!

The setting is sublime - right along a river whose sound melodiously brings me to sleep each night. There are private rooms and a dorm in the main house and private rooms outside the main house. I stayed in both the dorm and an outside room (Abril) and I especially loved the private room.

I came to Boquete to do some hiking and rafting but unfortunately sprained my ankle a few days before I arrived. So this changed my plans once I arrived and again, the hostal came through for me big time around this and in a way that lots of hostals miss the mark. This place has tons of comfortable and beautiful space for hanging out - especially outside along the river, in hammocks, very high quality chairs and chaise lounges and beautiful wooden rocking chairs. There's also a large dining and living room inside the main house with comfy furniture and plenty of room to read, rest, relax and talk with other guests. There are also four free computers for internet use.

Finally, I love the location of this hostal. It's less than a five-minute walk into town and yet far enough away so that there's none of the busy-ness and street noise that is present there. Many of the other hostels are right in town and I imagine that the noise there would be bothersome.

They offer laundry service at very reasonable rates and the women who work here are very friendly and busy keeping all the areas very clean and lovely. The beds are also of excellent quality.

I can't recommend this place enough - save yourself time by looking no further!

Room Tip: I think that Abril is the best room, but the Tree House is also a good choice, both of which are out...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 February 2012

On my recent travels in Panama, I stayed for two nights, on separate occasions, here. The location is amazing - it is directly on the river and that's what sings you to sleep at night. The setting is beautiful in that the property is meticulously maintained, huge mature trees, inviting seating areas outside and by the river and what looked to me like other very nice rooms I wish I could've had a look at. The locale is also great because it is within walking distance to most every service in Boquete: restaurants (high and low end), great coffee, super mercados, the central park, shops, adventure tour guides (Explora Ya) and a Spanish school I attended (Habla Ya).
I'm not sure if the woman who greeted me on both occasions is the owner, but she couldn't have been kinder and more accommodating despite my halting Spanish(she has very little English, just FYI). The first night, I stayed in cabin #3. It's spartan and neat as a pin with everything you need - including a balcony directly on the river with comfy chairs, good lighting, and a superb, huge shower. This cabin is a private with a private bath. The second time I stayed, I arrived very late and she offered me a spot in her men's dorm: comfy bed, a fine shared bathroom and shower and a very quiet vibe. The night I stayed there, only five other guys were in a dorm I believe sleeps twelve.
There's wi-fi, a fantastic communal kitchen, a separate bathroom off the lobby, a big dining room table she also has some bare necessity foods on hand for sale. This may be the owners home as well, I wasn't sure, and if feels very much like you are staying in a nice private home. I would return to this hostal, on my next visit to Boquete, without hesitating.

Room Tip: If cabin #3 is available, I loved it.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 January 2012

after a booking mix up on our first night, we stayed in one of the private room by the stream. It looked quite new and was very good value for money. Great spacious shared kitchen -cooking helped to save a bit of money.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2012

The hotel was a really good catch. The price was really valuable and they have a beautiful garden and you can walk to all the important places in town. They have a good kitchen and even providing cheap food in the hostal. Also they offer laundry service for just a few dollars.
One negative point was that they didnt clean our room at all in the 3 days we stayed there.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple