“One night was not enough!”

Hostal Garden by Refugio del Rio
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“One night was not enough!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

One night was not enough at this hostel in a private room (with bathroom) in the trees, we would have stayed for 1 week if possible and were sad to move. We didn't realise how full the hostels can be in low season so I recommend reserving this one in advance. The gardens are lush, with a stream out back and a hot tub under a tree by the creek that looked like a lot of fun while occupied by our neighbours (sadly we didn't have time in our short stay to use it.)
The staff were very helpful after my partner arrived having had a motorbike accident and showed a doctor who was staying at the hostel to our room - who was wonderful and gave us peace of mind. They also helped push start my partner's motorbike, and called me a taxi.

The bed was very comfortable and the bed linen crisp and clean. Our room was quite small, and very clean too. We had a tv, balcony, bathroom, and stream view for $38 per night. It is located very near to the town centre. When we moved out and looked at other accommodation we found nearby hostels to not be so lovely. We ended up staying in Hostal Boquete with a balcony and river view - a fair alternative if this place if full.

I would definitely come back!

Room Tip: I think we were in room #1, one of the private rooms facing the stream. Felt private, looked onto na...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Morriston, Florida
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We spent a single night at the hostal and would have enjoyed staying longer but they didn't have space available. We were lulled to sleep by the sound of the river alongside the "Tree House" apartment with private bath. The cabin design was fun and bed very comfortable. Happened to be there on a night when you could get pizza to enjoy in the patio. It was good and really enjoyed the music provided by a steel drummer. Very talented individual!
Made breakfast in the kitchen which was well equipped.
We met many really nice people and enjoyed great conversations.

Room Tip: Loved the Tree House and would definitely recommend it for couples. Delightful
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I ended up in a dorm for 1 night, then three in a private room (Ruiseñor 2 I think). The dorm was ok (no curtains on the windows, so it got light very early, and the bathroom was quite grotty), but the private room was wonderful! It was very secluded, with a pretty balcony overlooking the river. The room itself was small, but perfectly adequate. The bathroom was nicely done, and a world away from the dorm bathrooms. I’d highly recommend it – it had so much charm and character, it’s one of my favourite ever hotel rooms. The staff were generally quite helpful. The kitchen was always quite busy, and not too tidy. I only went in once to get a glass…there were none to be seen, either in cupboards, or dirty on the side. There was just 1 mug on the shelf, which I made do with.

Room Tip: Avoid the dorms, go for a private room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Great place! One of my favourite hostels. Dormitory with heaps of space, good kitchen, lots of common areas, amazing setting, lovely staff. If you want somewhere quiet and relaxed. You will still meet lots of people. I didn't want to leave.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in April for 2 nights and just enjoyed my time. It's a clean, safe and well situated hostel which is the best I stayed in while in Panama! The most notable thing is that the stuff is absolutely friendly, helpful and caring. Especially Luigini, the owner, is a nice mate. The rooms itself are clean, calm and you have great wifi connection everywhere. Also, the house and garden are lovely. I whish I stayed longer. If I return to Boquete I will stay there again, that's for sure. I love this place and I love Boquete.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 May 2014

An amazing and luxurious break from standard hostels! We had a private room (which could have slept 4) for only $30 a night which was on the river and you were woken by he birds and the water in the morning. Hot tub on the river is also great after a hike. Staff are very helpful. Kitchen was nice and clean, theres a super market five minutes away.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Florianopolis, SC
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Magic!

Amazing place, great energy, personal, kitchen, rooms, placement...peaceful way of interacting with such a beautiful region as Boquete.
Close from everything yet you feel away from it all.

Go for it!