“Best common areas, amazing garden”

Hostal Garden by Refugio del Rio
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed in a private room there last month. Room was good though the ot water in the shower could have been warmer.
The best part though was the beautiful common area, especially th garden which is really beatiful with the stream passing there and even a jaccuzi. It really gives a sense of luxury in a price of a hostel.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed in a private room with bathroom, TV, no hot water. There are a few different options for privates, some of them have balcony, others don't and the noise level might be different as well due to their location regarding the common areas and the thickness of the walls between rooms. The close by river soothes and offers the opportunity to sit in the garden and relax, even though you are in the center of the town you might not realize it at times. The room I stayed in had a small balcony with two chairs and a table and direct access to the garden. It was just outside the main building next to the common area on the outside where at night people usually gathered which did elevated the noise and light level in the room and did not let me get to rest early. On the other hand the 11 p.m. quiet hour was very well adhered to and if guests did 'forget' about it they were reminded of it. The common area and kitchen are clean and there is a little pizza restaurant open at night. Even though there were signs in the kitchen to please wash and put your dishes away after using them, fellow travelers seemed to ignore this most of the time, but employees made sure it never became a problem and the kitchen was always clean and ready to use. The hostel sells some snacks and drinks on site and offers laundry service, tours and excursions and a friendly atmosphere where travelers of all ages come together. I can definitely recommend the hostel and would stay there again. There is a jacuzzi open to all guests between 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. in the garden, right next o the river which is comfortable and relaxing after a day of hiking if you feel like it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This hostel was better than most hotels I've stayed at for twice the price. The rooms are spacious and light, very clean and the common areas are very nice. There are several computers, games and books for use, a big, clean kitchen with tons of storage space and even a jacuzzi in the back! It is close to the centre but still very quiet, and all in all extremely cheap considering how much you get for your money. Will definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I booked a 20km hike with these guys - received an email, confirming my trip and directing me to them from the beach, where I was staying. Up at 4:30, out the door by 5 to get there on time. They never showed nor responded to my emails asking what happened. Didn't get any money from me, but it cost me 5hours of my time and hindered me from having what I had hoped would be an amazing jungle experience. There are a lot of guides in Panama, or in this case people pretending to be guides. I'd use any one of them before I hired these people again.
Use a Panamanian guide or a company owned by Panamanians, if you want a true Panamanian experience.
The place was really cool looking, though... I had 2 hours to soak in the view, while I was being stood up/having a very unprofessional experience. If you or I performed like this at work, we'd be out of a job. Don't get swindles or let down - it's too beautiful of a place to have this happen.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The staff is super friendly and accommodating. I was able to secure a private room with bathroom and to my delight, it is located on a stream surrounded by trees, flowers, lawns and some wildlife. One wall of my room is 100% window which allows me to enjoy the stream view. I have travelled the world and stayed in many hostels so I feel safe to say this is one of the nicest I have encountered. The kitchen has two fridges and a special pizza making station. There is an interior LR with computers as well as a covered patio for gatherings. You will find Koi swimming in the pond by the entrance. The private rooms are in detached buildings, giving you more privacy and stillness. There is also a hot tub by the stream which they open in the evenings. There are many spots for tents around back. The staff is very available to assist you. For example, they loaned me a private cell phone to call a doctor, came to my room at night to carry out a large spider, spent a bunch of time describing places to stay in Panama City and more. I highly recommend hostel Refugio Del Rio.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the stream!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My wife and I and our 3 and 6 y/o daughters stayed a couple nights at this hostel in late June 2014. We made arrangements quickly while leaving Bocas Del Toro, and luckily we were able to secure the last room available, an upstairs room with bunkbeds and a single. Plenty of space with a nice view of the creek and the town from the two windows. One of the few negatives I have to share about the hostel is that the glass louvered windows were missing some glass louvers, and some broken, and one window had no screen... so even though the temperature wasn't too hot we didn't need A/C as long as the windows were open, but that meant the mosquitoes got in. Shared bathroom was very clean and had soap and shampoo dispensers and a very large shower. There was wireless which worked well except in the room. There were computers too but we had our own tablets, which we used to plan out the rest of our trip. The kitchen was very large and had ample fridge space, and two sets of stoves, though only one set was working, so it called for a bit of planning with a full house wanting to cook. We all worked it out of course, that's what hostels are all about anyway. I would have hoped there was more shared spices available, but not a big deal. Our stay was during World Cup so it was fun to talk with travelers and fans from all around the world, but that also meant it got kind of loud at times; there was a large group from Argentina that was enthusiastic, even at dinner, but all in good fun. The outdoor gathering area was very nice, especially during the WC so many could watch comfortably. My only other negative was that kids weren't allowed in the hot tub, which wasn't that hot, and my daughters are very responsible/respectful but those were the rules. The garden next to the creek (not the main river) was nice for them to play in though.

So other than the windows and the hot tub, I'd have given this place 5 stars! Definitely worth a stay during your visit to Boquete.

Room Tip: Check the windows to ensure there are screens, otherwise it seemed all the rooms were very nice insi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Had a really lovely stay at this hostal. Our first few nights we stayed in the tree house - very romantic, quiet, away from everyone with river running right in front. Staff is super helpful and rooms were ready early. Gave us choice of room we wanted for last few nights. Spacious, clean just beautiful all around. Within walking distance to main street. Can't beat this place for the price!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple