“Nice Hostel”
Review of Hostel Mamallena

Hostel Mamallena
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed here with my friends back in April 2013 when I was studying abroad in Panama City. The staff is really nice and the hostel itself is really clean. They told us a lot about climbing Volcan Baru and we were very satisfied with the city and this hostel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights in mid-May, 2014. We had a private room, and it costs only $33 per night, The room was spotless, and in fact the whole hostel is clean and well-managed. The staff is very friendly and have great ideas for things to do in the Boquete area. The location is perfect, right in the middle of the town but the town is fairly quite so it's not loud. I particularly liked the little refrigerator at the front desk, which was stocked with cold beer that costs only $1.00 per bottle. If you like cheap beer (who doesn't?), that's a great touch. Plus pancakes every morning. Beer, pancakes, well this is a really nice place, that's all I can say.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank generalbuford
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I recently stayed a little while in this hostel and enjoyed it a lot. The staff is friendly, the hostel organizes excelent trips to the surroundings of Boquete, it is excellently situated on Boquete's main square and the kitchen and dorms are great. In addition, it has a nice garden and a very knowledgeable and friendly owner, Miquel who is very willing to help out. All in all, I wholeheartedly recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I am not a 100% sure, but I think this place has received a thorough renovation a while ago, which makes it a nice, clean and friendly place. (We peaked in 2 years ago, and I think it looked more chaotic...)
We stayed here in a private room with bathroom for 4 nights as a springboard for all activities around Boquete, and this Hostel delivery truely "all you need" for as little money as possible. Our clean and decent sized room for 33$/night included a Doublebed, an extra bed, hot showers and free "breakfast" (pancakes), and free Wifi. A huge sack of laundry was done for 5$ and ready&dried within 24h, that beats any hotel with any number of stars.
Staff is very friendly and casual, and always up for a good talk/chat.
The only downside would be the noise from a next door restaurant/bar, which however would be irrelevant if you dont go to bed before 11PM anyway.
Note: Some trips and transport advertised at this hostel are pretty expensive (which is partly justified as it may be private transport), it can be done way cheaper if you check elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hal9213
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Right on the main square as stated below. Slept in a privat double for 33$ a night. Always people around to meet / chill etc.
Free pancakes and coffee in the morning were good. WiFi is functioning well. They organize BBQ's for diner, and have a good tourist agency. On travel to Bocas del Toro? Take the direct shuttle (includes the boat) for 25$. U might wanna bring your earplugs beacause the walls are paperthin.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Solid hostel. Location couldn't be better -- just off the main plaza. They are really good with arranging tours and transportation, as they have their own travel agency. I didn't need any of that though. Breakfast is just pancakes, but it's better than nothing.

Have 2 complaints, but nothing huge: 1) Power was an issue while I was there. It was limited to the hostel because of bad wiring. They did a good job of setting up lights and fixing it relatively quickly, but it was still a hassle.

2) Service -- this was more significant to me. Staff were generally helpful when I had questions, but they got impatient with me once when I had questions around hiking Quetzal Trail. They tried to assume the path I wanted to take, instead of listening to my actual plans (hiking halfway to a lookout point and back) and adjusting from there. This caused confusion on both sides.

All in all, a good option.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was my first stay in a hostel (and it was with my husband and our 2 young kids). The front desk was super helpful. Since it was my first stay in a hostel, I didn't realize there wouldn't be any soap for handwashing so that required a little problem solving - but a small problem. They did some laundry for us and it was great. The price is hard to beat. Certainly, it was probably one of the most rustic places I've ever stayed - but the price was right and I think we got a great value.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family