“Lovely & informative”

Ranked #1 of 9 Food & Drink in Boquete
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Boquete Coffee Tour at Finca Dos Jefes offers the only personalized, hands-on tour and roasting experience in Boquete. Guests can walk through the fields, learn about traditional organic farming and roast coffee beans to enjoy at home.
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Simply said, Great. Rich (owner) is a passionate for coffee. It is so obvious he does these tours to share his passion, not as commerce. He takes all the time of the world to answer questions. The roasting experience is the cherry on the cake. A pity he doesn't offer espressos ;-)
Ps: we went with our 2yr old. No problem.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

I loved my tour that was given by the owner Rich. Our group was only 5 people but mind you it was Semana Santa (busy Holy Week) I liked every aspect of our tour. Rich is warm and easygoing. He answered many of my weird gardening questions (about the types of fertilizer, organic methods etc) He gives you a frank overview of the history of coffee, the development of the industry, what's going on, and the labor conditions in Panama. It comes through that Rich cares about his workers and takes care of them. They also support a school up in the Comarca for indigenous students. That speaks volumes about the culture he is trying to create.

We tasted, roasted, and chatted overlooking the fields and the GORGEOUS views down the side of a cloud-touched volcano. I loved it.

As part of your $30 tour fee you do get a small bag of beans to return home with. Most likely it will be the batch you helped to roast yourself!

If you like, fun, low-key tours without any sales pressure or a fast pace then this is the tour for you! You will get way more time and attention on this tour than many others. Also, the drive up to his farm is gorgeous as well!

Enjoy your time here - definitely worth it (and I'm cheap!)

1  Thank thetravelbeagle
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Rich was so knowable, I had no idea that it took so may steps to make coffee.

Thanks Rich for being a great tour guide.

We came away will such a better understanding of the process of coffee making.

If you are going to take a coffee farm tour this is the one to take.

Reviewed 7 March 2012

My friend Ron told me about this tour. He said it was an "absolute must" that I visit "Finca Dos Jefes". So, on our first full day in Boquette, I spent an afternoon on the farm with Ron and my wife. We tasted coffee, walked the beautiful grounds and even had the opportunity to roast our own beans. Pretty standard stuff when touring a coffee farm, right?

So why choose "Finca Dos Jefes"? In a word....Passion! Look...Rich owns a coffee farm so of course he has a passion for farming and for great coffee. But Rich also has an unrelenting passion for Panama, for Boquete, for the environment and for the folks that work for him. Because of this passion, the afternoon evolved into a wonderfully enjoyable session covering everything from the history of Panama to the history of coffee. Our engaging host discussed his farming methods and even provided us his keen insight regarding Boquete and the surrounding area. I don't think Rich left one question unanswered! But lets get back to the coffee...

"Finca dos Jefes" is one of the very few Coffee Farms that utilize organic farming methods. I asked Rich if he thought these organic principles make his coffee taste better... His answer.... NO! In fact, Rich explained that organic farming results in about 50% less fruit than standard farming and processiong methods. I about fell over. So why does he farm with these methods? Well, I'm not about to give you all the answers here. Do yourself a favor, take ride into the hills above Boquette and ask him directly. Then take a step back to make room for a river of passion

Reviewed 22 February 2012

We typically do not go on organized tours, but this one was recommended by friends.
Carlos the tour guide was wonderful and explained the coffee process very well.He had a great sense of humor and his English was excellent.He took us on a tour of the coffee plantation, the packing plant and then back to the plant.We then got to taste different blends of their coffee.All in all it was a great experience

1  Thank denise4946