“A good choice in Boquete”

La Casa de la Abuela
Ranked #10 of 28 Boquete B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“A good choice in Boquete”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I was very pleased with the look and quality of this hotel. At first arrival in Boquete, I was not certain how far up the road from the main town center it would be, but it was actually within an easy five minute stroll, so no problem at all. There are several very good restaurants in town and along the road to and from the hotel.

This facility is fairly new and has a clean, modern feel to it with some stylish décor. My corner upstairs room looked out to a nice view of the tropical hills.

I did have some communication issues with the staff before I left from the U.S. I requested the special they offered of a room for $44 a night if you indicate that you saw them on TripAdvisor. They replied with a quote for 158/night, then as I responded, they dropped it to 88/night, but indicated that meant the 44/night for two nights. I would pay one night at their regular rate, then get the discount on arrival. So, I paid 57.45 for one night up front. I took a photocopy of the deal advertisement just in case. However, they still got me, saying the deal was only good for one night (I stayed two). This limitation is not mentioned in the ad, and I told them that was not good policy, but at least I got the one night’s discount with a bit of work and insistence. If you go, be sure to get it all spelled out and take photos of any deals like that so you can claim them.
That said, the staff was reasonably friendly, but not especially so. Less able to deal with me in English or my bad Spanish, but that is no fault of theirs.

I plan to return to Boquete in the next year or two, and I would definitely return to this hotel. Even without the online promotional pricing, the cost was reasonable for the quality. Also, it was nice to be next to town but not right in it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JaguarFeather
LaCasa2011, Gerente at La Casa de la Abuela, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Thank you for your opinion!

We appreciate this great review. We are pleased that you received the best service from our staff and that you enjoyed your visit to Boquete. We hope you choose us again when you come back to Boquete in the future. Once again, thank you for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Big Bear Lake, California
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I was expecting more based on reviews, but apparently people have a much higher tolerance for noise (among other things) than I do. It is very sterile feeling-no personality or character. Most of the staff does not seem to know much English. Rooms are small, walls are paper thin, breakfast left much to be desired. Traffic noise was the worst though-between that, dogs barking, and no insulation between rooms, I left feeling exhausted from sleep deprivation after 2 nights. I also don't understand why hotels don't have transportation information readily available. It is in close proximity to town, however, and I was happy to have a washcloth for a change. And the price was one of the more reasonable I had in the many places I stayed in Costa Rica and Panama.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear Customers, thank you for taking the time to send us your review.

We are sorry to know that we were not able to fulfill your expectations; we are proud to receive great reviews from our customers; please accept your apologies for not providing you a better experience. We are taking your recommendations to improve our customer´s experience. We hope you enjoyed your visit to Boquete and we hope you visit our gorgeous mountain town in the future.

Kind Regards,
Hassleholm, Sweden
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I stayed five nights at "La Casa de la Abuela". The room was clean and comfortable with two large beds. The staff was service minded and friendly, happy to help you if they can. My friend and I really felt at home on the terrass in the afternoons with a cup of tea discussing our latest excursion in the beautiful surrondings of Boquete. I truly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a large doble or twin room, some rooms are very small.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Helen, we appreciate your wonderful review.

We are glad that you choose us during your recent visit to Boquete; we are happy to hear that you got the best service from our staff and that you enjoyed your visit to Boquete. We hope to host you in a near future. Once again, thank you for staying with us.

Best Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2013

A good little hotel just outside the town but a two minute walk in.
The hotel is modern looking but the rooms (my room at least) were quite small.
Breakfast is provided and is ok but not great. My coffee was rewarmed which is regarded as a no no by coffee drinkers. Given that the area is known for its coffee the hotel should provide a focus on providing fresh well made coffee. Selling packets of coffee from a local grower would potentially be a small sideline for the hotel.
The staff try hard with their English.
Providing more advice on local attractions via the front desk or a notice board would be good.

Room Tip: The hotel is right on a road so rooms at the rear are a little quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dear Customer, thank you for taking the time to send your review.

We are sorry to hear that we were not able to provide you a better experience; we are taking your recommendations into account to improve our customer´s experience. We hope you enjoyed your visit to Boquete and that you choose Boquete as a future destination.

Best Regards,
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The pictures look cozy and nice, and the reviews are quite high, so it was a no brainer to book. Fastforward to me arriving at the property and in the room, and I was blown away on how bad it was. It truly looked like a mulilevel motel in its quality and vibe. The walls are paper thin and would hear constant noise from bordering rooms and the hallway. The bathroom had industrial soap dispensers and toiler paper rolls that you would find in a gas station.

The place was awful. The breakfast was a joke, and laughable.

Hostal Refugio del Rio has cabin rooms for $33 a night that are 50 times better in quality and location.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Courtney, we appreciate your review. Thank you for taking the time to send us your opinion.

We are disappointed to know that you were not pleased during your stay with us. We usually receive the best ratings from our customers; we are sorry that we were not able to provide you a better experience. We are glad that you continued enjoying Boquete and that you were able to find accommodations to suit your needs. We hope you come back to our gorgeous mountain time to enjoy our weather and surroundings.

Kind Regards,
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

Great place w/ a great low season rate of $44 dbl. Room was clean, nice view. However breakfasts could use alot of improvement, coffee was terrible and the food was not much better. At the regular rates they post I am not sure if this place would be such a good value.

• Stayed April 2013
LaCasa2011, Manager at La Casa de la Abuela, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Dear Customer, thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We appreciate that you took the time to send us your recommendations. We hope we can be your host again and that we´ll be able to meet your expectations.

We appreciate your business!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Very clean and nice hotel. Comfortable beds and lots of very hot water. Very friendly and helpful staff. We came back here on our second visit to Boquete. It is a short walk to town and all the action, but there is a very good restaurant Posada Boquete a 2 min walk away.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
LaCasa2011, Manager at La Casa de la Abuela, responded to this review, 28 April 2013
Hello, thank you for your response. We appreciate the great review that you wrote about us. We are thrilled that you enjoyed La Casa de la Abuela and that yo u got the best service from our staff.

We are glad that you came back to Boquete! we hope to see you again soon!

We appreciate your business,