“Just what I needed ...”

Boquete River Inn
Kelowna, Canada
“Just what I needed ...”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I spent 10 days at this B&B and I have to honestly say that it exceeded my expectations. First of all it was my first time staying at a B&B and I have already tentatively made arrangements to return the middle of April.
The owner/operator, Ken and housekeeper ensured my needs were met. My room was spacious, plenty of closet space, TV and private bath with walk in shower. Breakfast of my choice was prepared each and every morning. Fantastic music collection.
Great pool. Scenic trail throughout property, great for walking or jogging. Car recommended however cab fare into Boquete 5 - 7 dollars each way. For 60 cents each way one could also travel by bus. Another great experience.
Ken was very kind to offer a ride if he were travelling into town, which was greatly appreciated.
I had the opportunity to check out the cabins on the property and they were quite large.
I will definitely explore more B&B on future travel rather than the hotel, for it gives one the opportunity to meet other like minded people that are exploring areas suitable for retirement as I am. Once again, it was just what I needed ...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Colleen-Kenny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I recently spent three weeks in Boquete, having booked and paid in advance for four nights here. Once in Boquete, I was going to expand my time at this B&B, one of the rooms inside not a cabin. Upon arrival, the owner, in what I believe he felt was a friendly sharing of info, proceeded to regale me with stories of how difficult it was to find good help from the local Panamanians, tell me quite personal stories of his past, ask me quite personal questions, all peppered with jokes of a sexual connotation and toilet humor. He offered me liquor (this was at about 11 a.m.), sat on his countertop with his legs spread while wearing shorts (after he moved the landscaping equipment off the kitchen counter -- not the cleanest of places), and all in all, made me quite uncomfortable. He showed me my room, which, yes, was sparsely decorated as reviewed earlier, but I didn't care about that as much as the fact that it was ungodly hot in there because of the front of the house being floor-to-ceiling glass, which was beautiful for the views but made the place uncomfortably hot, and the loud fan placed in the room didn't help since there was no cross breeze.

Another couple stopped by to visit, there were more inappropriate jokes and chat, but when I decided to leave was when I asked for my room key and was told there was none, that I was not permitted to lock the door as this was his house, as in, "This is MY house." I thought it was a joke, but he repeated it again in a kind of aggressive manner. I decided to leave at that point and did so, later requesting a return of at least a portion of the $200 I had paid in advance for the four days booked at the end of my trip, which was still ten days away at that point. I took up maybe an hour of this facility's time, gave ten days' notice of cancellation, and was not returned any portion of my $200, an expensive lesson to learn to not pay in advance. It was worth it to me to not stay there.

I get the impression the cabins would be comfortable -- I imagine the guests are allowed to lock them. They would not have landscaping equipment in their kitchen or be put in such close quarters with someone with such unprofessional behavior. If I had dealt with the woman referred to in other reviews, this may have turned out differently. In the end, it is what it is, and it has turned into fodder for quite a few laughs with my friends :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank JerseyTraveler461
Zipolite, Mexico
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Very nice Boquete hotel with a good ambience, 10 mins out of town in the quiet nature with great views of the volcano and surrounding valley. Nice pool and Gym and reasonable Wifi.
There is a river hike just from the property, 15 mins walk downhill to the river.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Cleveland GA
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This friendly dwelling is only exceeded by the gracious hostess. The breakfast next door is best enjoyed outside in ear shod of the river.
You will be glad you stayed in the country within reach of the city.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back face the river. Not that you can see it from downstairs but with windows open...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Navarre, Florida, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We recently stayed in cabin #2 at Boquete River Inn. Sammy was very helpful and responsive when we made the reservation, and also once we arrived. Getting there is a little daunting. The road is not paved, and there is a very steep hill just before entering the grounds of the facility. It looks much worse than it is, and with proper precaution, and slow speed, it is quite doable. The cabin was modestly furnished, but certainly adequate and accommodating. It was clean, the WIFI was great, the kitchenette really came in handy, and the shower was piping hot. The view from the cabin is incredible. Unobstructed view of Volcan Baru, and located next to a swift flowing river. No light pollution, and the night sky was spectacular. Definitely would recommend if you are an outdoorsy type who is looking for solitude and space.

Room Tip: Cabin #2...best views, best location!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Elizabeth T
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 11 July 2013

we appreciated the kitchenette. we were able to cook many meals here and saved time and money. the grounds are beautiful and the overlook to the river below is gorgeous. the pool is nice. we were able to do a few loads of laundry after having been in bocas del toro.

i definitely recommend having a car as it is a bit of a ways from town and believe we wouldn't have been able to see all that we did without the car.

there are definitely bugs. also some rude roosters and dogs. :)

thanks, ken!

Room Tip: cabana #2 had a BRUTAL driveway--wouldn't recommend if you are driving.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank michelle_travels_702
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We recently spent 5 nights at Boquete River Inn. It is located just a short drive from town (7 minutes' drive). The grounds are beautiful and the cabin we rented was large, clean and very accommodating for a family of 5 (3 children aged 6, 8 and 10). We would wake up in the morning to a symphony of bird song and we had a great view of the volcano form the front porch. We enjoyed having the pool for an afternoon dip after action packed days with hikes, bird and animal watching and zip lining. What makes this place unique is the very warm and welcoming owner, Ken, who truly went out of his way to ensure that we had a great time. I would very highly recommend this destination especially to families traveling with young children.

Room Tip: if you have kids you may ask for a cabin closer to the pool
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family