“Don't you love the smell of fresh bread?”

Sugar & Spice Dulces Gourmet
Ranked #2 of 6 Dessert in Boquete
Price range: US$3 - US$6
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Sugar and Spice is a gourmet bakery/cafe located on Main Street in beautiful Downtown Boquete Panama. The smells of baking bread and fresh brewed coffee welcomes guests to Sugar & Spice.S&S specializes in European Artesian Hand Crafted Breads, Cakes, Pies, Gourmet Muffins, Brownies, Cookies, Empanadas and savory Enchiladas. Specialty cakes and pies made upon request. Breakfast and lunch served daily with counter service available. CLOSED WEDNESDAY.
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Not only do you have many selections of hard-crusted breads to take home each day, there are muffins, cookies, quiche, soups, and many quick breakfast and lunch items on the menu to enjoy there, too! We are so lucky to have Richard and his bread-baking talents in Boquete!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,061)

Reviewed 7 July 2014

They make all their food on site in an open kitchen, so you can see how its done! Their muffins are to die for, and their breakfast burrito is pretty darn good! They have excellent service and its not too pricey!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Only ate breakfast, but it was really good! Bought some bakery goods to carry with us on our explorations. Be warned, they are closed on Wednesdays.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We ended up eating here twice for lunch (during our three day visit) because the sandwiches and baked goods were so good. We tried four different sandwiches and two muffins and we liked each one better than the last. The staff was very friendly and the service is relatively quick.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I was staying in the hostel behind this bakery for 3 days before I realized the bakery was there! But the aroma of fresh baking bread filled the air constantly, and I knew I was close to something wonderful. I wasn't disappointed. Once discovered, it became a daily habit for the remainder of my 3-week stay.

Fresh everything, daily. Delicious, light and airy muffins in many many flavors (try the pineapple), empanadas, quiches, and a wide selection of artisan breads that rival the best of Europe's. Croissants easily as good as those in Paris. They only make them once a week though, Saturdays I think, and they go quickly (people buy a dozen at a time), but you can preorder if you like. The menu food was also delicious. This is easily one of the better bakeries I've ever been to, anywhere in the world. My waist line didn't appreciate the habitual delectable muffins and croissants, but my palate definitely did.

The crowd is almost entirely gringos, mostly expats but also travelers. The place is packed from about 8-12:30, especially on weekends. If you prefer a lighter crowd, there's still plenty of food at 1. They also bake throughout the day so it's not like all the goodies get put out at 7, and if you're late you're out of luck. Plenty of items come out of the oven later too, so you don't have to be there at the crack of dawn for the best selection. You can still get a warm muffin or croissant after 11.