“Nice enough hostel”
Review of Hostal Palacios

Hostal Palacios
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Boquete
Hostal Palacios
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights and overall had a good time.
The hostel is located perfectly in the heart of town (right in front of the bus station).
The owner, Pancho, is a nice guy but can talk a bit much sometimes. We had a problem with the hot water as it only worked on the first night and not on the other two. This was apparently because of a water problem in town...

The bathrooms and bedrooms were pretty clean.

They also have a kitchen that isn't really as well equipped as it should be.

The prices are $10 per person in a dorm or $25 for two people in a private room with a bathroom. Singles pay $20 for a private room.

Overall, nice but basic.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelReviewer1983

Reviewed 19 February 2014

This is the first time I have felt moved to review a place, but I have to pass on the warning, especially after noting that other travelers have experienced this.....I was robbed of $45 while staying at Hostel Palacio. I arrived late at night, and in the morning when I was planning to pay the owner, I couldn't find my purse. I checked all over the room and then told the owner (Pancho) who told me it was in the kitchen. I found it there, with my passport untouched, but all the cash in the wallet gone. I told him I was missing the money, but he didn't seem too concerned.....I left immediately after that. Overall would skip this place if I were you!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2013

If you are looking for a great price on a Hostal, with very friendly management then this is your place. We stayed for 2 nights in a private room with 1 queen size bed and an ensuite private bathroom with shower for $40USD total for the 2 nights. A great value that included free wifi (though it only worked in the lobby)

The room was clean and the shower had hot water. Pancho the owner was very friendly and helpful with providing us information on attractions and things to do around the town.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and couldn't complain about the price!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Pancho was very charming and likable at first, however after hearing him and his wife screaming at each other all day we felt a little uneasy.

On top of that we had an army of ants marching through our room on two seperate occassions (but Pancho did get rid of them for us with spray).

The kitchen was pretty dirty as other guests hadn't cleaned up properly. It was obvious that they make no effort to keep the guest kitchen in any fit state for use.
Did have a nice hot shower and a comfy bed though. Wifi didn't work I the back rooms.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We got off the bus right in the city center and Pancho came to us to offer a private room. We accepted for a night and then decided to stay for 3 nights more paying everything in advance.
He was really kind and helpfull, giving us a lot of information and always asking us about our stay.
We noted there was something strange around, but since we'd been travelling around central america for 9 months it was quite common to note strange things.

The last morning we got up and went to the kitchen for 2 minutes, that's why we didn't lock the door. When we were going back to the room we met Pancho in the corridor and asking us weirdly how was the night; while speaking with him we saw her wife going out of our room and closing the door while he was trying to cover her putting his body in the middle.
We didn't say anything at the moment, we entered in our room and noted that our small pocket where we keep the money wasn't where it was before, we counted the money and 60$ were missed.

We immediately went to speak with them, Pancho's wife told us about a girl who came in the morning to see the room and that's why she entered in our room, though we didn't see any girl around that morning. Her story didn't coincide with what we had seen, and so she went to her room and close the door.

It's strange, because if any stranger had entered into the room and stolen our money he would have stolen everything and not only a small amount. That's why we think one of them could have been, though we don't have any material proof. Maybe they thought that by stealing us only 60$ we wouldn't have noted.

We felt really bad and left immediately.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marco_Tania
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We've visited this place back in July 2012. It feels like staying at a family. I don't get these bad two reviews beneath me, because this owner is the best you can wish in a hostel. He will give you good advice about visits in the area, draws everything on a map for you and bakes even bananas. He also likes to share a rum or two in the evening. The rooms are tiny and if you are traveling with a family it's not the best option. If you travel alone however, or with a friend like me, book this!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2013

This owner is crazy. The beds weren't cleaned and it smelled like the dog walking around. When we got up in the morning and told the owner we weren't staying for another night he got crazy and screamed at us to leave immediatly. Check out time was at 12 but we had to leave at 8 in the morning. Don't stay here! The owner may come across as charming and friendly in the beginning but that can change in a second!

• Stayed: January 2013