“Fantastic Find”

Ranked #2 of 28 Boquete B&B and Inns
Chicago, IL
“Fantastic Find”
Reviewed 7 September 2009

I LOVED this hotel - the room was beautiful, the grounds were lovely and the staff was amazing. I met both owners - they were fun and friendly and seemed really concerned with making my stay a good one. They had fantastic restaurant recommendations too. The manager Daniel was also really helpful - he make all reservations for my excursions - and even found me a private guide to do the crazy volcano hike with (BTW - the hike and guide were amazing, but it was a VERY difficult hike - definitely not for everyone!) Staying here was an absolute highlight of my trip.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank ChicagoQOF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
SC
Reviewed 30 August 2009

My only regret is not writing this review immediately upon our return!! The purpose of our trip was to explore potential retirement property (we are about 15 years out!) in the Boquete region. Our hosts were so pleasant and accommodating at Boquete Garden Inn we actually canceled our reservations at an "upscale" beach resort for the last 2 days of our stay in Panama. To be truthful, our host, Tom?, actually managed to cancel our reservations without penalty. Tom and Susanna (I have lost their business card so I may fail to get their names properly) were the best of hosts! Boquete Garden Inn was a treasure. The grounds were incredible. They have incorporated the local flora, historical momentos, and the best of comfortable, inviting environments.
The accommodations were the best throughout our stay. (We were in Panama for a total of 10n days.) Their investment in fine linens and mattresses put their Inn at the top of the multiple places we stayed during our trip. There were some water issues, but ample notices in our room, made it a "non-issue".
Meals are restricted to breakfast, but they were served fast, and were outstanding. Lunch may have been available, but we never took advantage of that service.
Each night a "reception" for guests was held along the riverside. This was a wonderful opportunity to get to know the fellow residents of the "compound". The privacy of our accommodations was outstanding, but the nightly reception allowed us the opportunity to interact at our leisure.
Our hosts took time from their personal schedules to show us property and a personal tour of the area. They were incredibly accommodating and interested in our personal interests.
Their recommendations for restaurants, etc. were absolutely outstanding....they recommended one of the finest meals we have ever had. (I had actually saved a cork from a fine bottle of wine recommended by the chef and the name of the restaurant...over time, I have lost both of these items--a regret of waiting so long!!) Come to find out, the chef of the restaurant recommended by our hosts is the same chef recommended by Frommer's in the 2007 Panama edition. His restaurant at that time was named Hibiscus. Do not let appearances fool you. Whatever the location of this chef....he and his staff are outstanding. We rave about this meal to this day. The service was outstanding, the wine I long for, the food and portions were simply unbelievable.
Parking at the Inn was a bit restricted since it was limited and you had to back out onto a curvy main road (it wasn't horrible) ...but all this aside...I cannot imagine staying anywhere else in Boquete. We fell in love with our hosts, the Inn and the location.
Outstanding...if we move to Boquete it will be because of "folks" like them.

I grew up in Balboa, and hope to return to Panama for a length stay. Whether I move there or just visit, Boquete Garden Inn is a place I hope to return.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GruffSC
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Stayed here a week with 3 families, 12 people. After the lousy service we got used to in Bocas Del Toro, this place was amazing. Great to mix with other travelers at happy hour and exchange stories. The hosts and Daniel at the front desk were extremely helpfull. We ended up arranging all of our excursions from the hotel. Zip lining, river rafting, coffee plantation touring, and finding Quetzals with Chaco. Most helpful and friendly staff I have encountered in a long long time. Other reviews say it all.

Make sure you have the hotel staff arrange a cab for dinner before they leave after happy hour at 7:00 pm. You will need a cab to get to a restaurant in town. Even though the Hotel Panamonte restaurant is close, the bridge is washed out so you have to go the long way to get to it. We paid $6 for 12 of us in a 15 passenger van. Sometimes $4 to $8 for 8 of us to get to town.

Wireless internet in all hotel rooms, and Sky TV.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Bizztravel
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 August 2009

The Boquete Garden Inn is the perfect blend of comfort, class, and value. Jason and Susan were fantastic hosts from pre-booking to our departure, providing information about the accommodation, the area, and suggestions for activities that suited our tastes and travel style. The Panamanian staff were extremely helpful in assisting with our plans for Boquete and for the rest of or stay in the country, helping us to book transportation and hotels, but most importantly were always friendly, sociable and professional.
The Inn itself is surrounded by stunning gardens that attract a slew of birds while you enjoy your coffee or breakfast (fresh fruit, cereal, and pancakes, sticky buns or other daily bread selection) on the patio in the morning. Rooms are clean, airconditioned and the beds are incredibly plush and comfy - almost didn't want to get up in the morning except for the delicious breakfast and birdwatching that beckoned out the door after sunrise!
All in all, a great getaway place to base yourself out of while in Boquete. Highly recommended for backpackers wanting a touch of luxury and comfort and high-end travelers, low key luxury!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KRIVERSTAR
ancon
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Not knowing what I was getting into going to a friend’s wedding I was very much surprised by how nice the entire staff, location and services giving by the Boquete garden Inn was. When you had a question or needed help there was always someone there to help you out. The breakfast was very nice and just right! This city boy plans to make Boquete and the Garden a regular vacation trip! Billy

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 2 July 2009

This hotel was an absolute find! The staff was fantastic, the room was clean and private, and the grounds were beautiful. Each room is more of a duplex apartment, rather than a hotel. There were tons of birds every morning feeding on the property. So much so that we started to bring a camera to breakfast. These folks were great with booking tours and arranging activities. It is a little bit outside of town, so be prepared to take taxis (cheap) or rent a car. The plus of this location is there is no noise at night. They even have cell phones to rent. We were very impressed and would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Swimwithsharks
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We booked here because it looked good from the guidebook. After staying for a week and checking out the other accomodations, this hotel will be my home away from home in Boquete now, because I definately want to come back. The hotel has everything that's really important to me - clean, quiet, safe, comfortable, beautiful setting, lovely rooms, helpful staff - at a reasonable price. I spent alot of my time at the hotel in the garden, using all the many hammocks and lounge chairs they had. The birds and flowers are amazing...I actually started sketching again after years - I was that inspired. Having experienced the effect of rain and humidity in other parts of Panama, I really appreciated the portable dehumidifiers that are placed in the room by the staff when needed. It made it very comfortable when I did stay indoors. The cocktail hour at the gazebo by the river is great fun...the first drink is on the house and all the guests attend and trade stories of their daily adventures. Breakast was excellent every day. And I found the staff's recommendations for restaurants were always good, and there are lots of good places to eat in Boquete.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple