Jungla de Panama Wildlife Refuge
Ranked #17 of 45 things to do in Boquete
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Jungla de Panama is a wildlife sanctuary that cares for and rehabilitates dozens of indigenous animals in a visitor-friendly, educational environment. Open daily from 10am-3pm. Located 10 minutes outside Boquete in the cloud forest of Palmira. ***AND DON'T FORGET*** You can also stay with us! Accommodations and on site restaurant available.
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

When we arrived at this place it looked run down and closed. We pushed in the gate and there was no one around. We spotted a spider monkey in a relatively small cage for the size of the animal and went over for a look. The cage had no facilities and not much to entertain a bored looking animal. After two minutes some kids arrived from the big house on site to show us around. The kids were friendly but frankly the depressed animals with lack facilities and not much space upset me. There was one parrot, one sad owl in a small cage, two goats, a goose with no pond, and two snakes in a cardboard box in cage. I would not recommend this place. It does not seem like a legitimate refuge for animals and I left feeling disappointed, upset and concerned for the animals

12  Thank Rosie080979
in 20 reviews
in 16 reviews
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was my favorite place in my month-long stay in Panamá. The wildlife was abundant and the waterfalls were beautiful. I was even lucky enough to see a male Quetzal, the most iconic bird of Central America. I loved Boquetes, especially getting away from the city.

2  Thank Robert P
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Seeing the + reviews I was interested in visiting. We were shown around by a young girl (daughter) who seemed bored. The 2 monkeys that were ex pets, seemed stressed. We were told they had been here 3 years. Other animals included 4 green parrots, a heard of goats, the girls pet rabbit & 3 boas.
We didn't get any information re rehabilitation work .. it feels like a children's petting zoo.

All in all, it feels like the owner prefers to focus on her restaurant/bar business. I hope the $10 pp entrance fee goes to the animals as I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

3  Thank ourfeedback
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We were looking for a place to stay in overbooked Boquete and came across La Jungla on Lonely Planet's website. Trusting that as a good reference, we called and they said they had apartments for two for 30$. That was a good deal, so we took a bus that left us in the middle of nowhere, at this kind of poor zoo with few animals in cages and goats. The so called apartment was a cube with a single bed; in change they offered a casita for 100$ or a room in their house where obviously the dogs used to sleep...you could say from the smell.
They also have dorms, about 20 beds in one room!
Topping this all, the same monkey that you see on the web so cutely embracing a guy bite me to bleed !
No reasons to go there, unless you like sleeping in a zoo !

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I learned about Jungla de Panama Wildlife Refuge from a friend who had lived in Panama for over 20 years who found this attraction through TripAdvisor. Although there are mixed reviews, I enjoyed spending my day at he refuge. The animals who are unable to be re-introduced to the wild, who have become permanent residents of this sanctuary, are well-loved and cared for.

Dorothy, the owner, was gracious and took us on an educational tour and allowed us to mingle with the animals. Although I did not eat at the restaurant, the daily special smelled delicious! The Hostel was very clean, with all beds made. I m looking forward to my trip back to Boquete, Panama an two weeks. I will be staying in the Hostel and will report back on my stay experience again.

Please know that this is not a zoo, rather an interactive experience with native animals. All proceeds go to the care and maintenance of the animals and their on-site habitats. The owner is always improving the property incorporating the efforts of dedicated and passionate volunteers. They also encourage therapy groups and private parties to take advantage of this unique place.

To learn more, their website is: http://jungladepanama.org/