“Excellent Hotel, Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Oasis Hotel & Restaurant

El Oasis Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Boquete
Tucson, Arizona
“Excellent Hotel, Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2009

The El Oasis Hotel/B&B in Boquete is a true gem. Their website does not do it justice as they have added an entire upstairs wing with suites and a downstairs restaurant and bar. We stayed in the original building and were very happy with it. The rooms are not large but they are quite adequate unless you plan on spending a great deal of time in them. There is no tub in the bathroom, only a 4X4 shower stall. My only comment about the shower is the water would go from hot to cold a couple of times each shower. Our room had a small TV mounted in the corner that had about 5 channels in english, including CNN. The hotel provides 2 computers for its customers in the lobby area. The staff were very friendly and thier attention to the cleanliness of the hotel was evident. The free breakfast was served on the patio of the adjoining home and was delicious every time. Omelets, scrambled eggs with ham, pancakes and waffles are a few of the offerings. Fresh fruit, juice and plenty of coffee are also served. The view from the back patio of Volcan Baru was awesome and the sound of the river running along the back was very calming and relaxing. Another great asset is its proximity to town. Walk across the bridge a block over and you're there. Very convienent!!! I strongly reccommend this wonderful B&B!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2009

In early March 2009, I stayed at the El Oasis in Boquete after seeing its #1 rating on Trip Advisor for hotels in Boquete. I was disappointed, and I don't understand how it got the rating unless friends were rating it.

The room I had was small (#4) and located right by the common area where people can sit out at a table or in a hammock (I tried the hammock and liked it). I asked to change and the owner said no.

The room smelled musty and had a ceiling fan but no air conditioning or telephone. The room had a queen bed, a small table, a patio chair, a very small folding wooden chair and a nightstand beside the bed that stank when you opened the drawer. The bathroom was REALLY small. You step in through a small door and are at the pedestal sink, which has the toilet beside it, which is next to the walk-in shower. I had to hop past the toilet (no shower mat) and out into the room to dry off after a shower as there was no room in the bathroom.

Also, the toilet paper dispenser is the large round type you find in airport bathrooms with a continuous roll, and the soap dispensers, at both the sink and in the shower, were the kind where you pull the lever and liquid soap comes out, again like those you find at the airport and in public bathrooms.

The real problem was that there was no hot water. I spoke the night workman and he was very nice. (Everyone who works there is very pleasant and tries to be helpful.) He told me to turn on the shower and I did and finally got warm water in the sink. He left and when I turned on the sink water again, no hot water. So basically, I had no hot water to wash my hands. In the morning I showered and the water was barely warm.

This hotel is very well located as you can walk 2 minutes over a scenic little bridge and you are in the downtown. Boquete is very small. Just a little town with a central park where you can sit and watch people. Not much to do except tours of Volcan Baru. In fact, I cut my stay short and only stayed one night and returned to Panama City.

The El Oasis owner was not happy about me leaving early but didn't charge me for the second night (after kind of taking me to task), and she did call for me to rearrange my afternoon plane flight to a day earlier. However, she then demanded immediate payment for the room for the night I was staying and told me I had to check out at 8 a.m. when I was leaving for a morning tour. I did, but when my tour was over, I had 3 hours before leaving for the plane, so I went downtown for lunch and then hung out in the hotel's common areas. They also held my luggage for me, so that was good.

The hotel has a common room where you can sit inside and the common terrace. There is a pay phone in the common room and a TV that is not on cable. There are also 2 computers hooked up to the Internet in the hallway that you can use for free.

They have started a restaurant at the hotel and I checked it out for lunch. There were two waiters dressed up and nice tables inside and out, but the menu was really what I would consider a dinner menu. No burgers, fries, chicken fingers. Just full meals. The Panamanians eat big lunches, so it seemed to me the menu was tailored for that. I thought it should be more casual for lunch as most guests seems to be Americans and Europeans. That's why I went downtown for a burger for lunch at Bistro Boquete.

The El Oasis Hotel is cheap, $50 a night for a single room. But I would try someplace else if I ever go back to Boquete. The guides told me the El Oasis and Isle Verde are the best intown hotels, but I think I'd stay somewhere more in the mountains and take a taxi into town. There are many taxis available.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lrwnh
christchurch, new zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2009

I stayed at El Oasis in Boquete, for 3 nights in February 2009, the breakfast was superb, the restaurant was top notch, the manager and other staff provided exceptional service, and the location was ideal. I had the most enjoyable stay in the most beautiful, and pleasant surroundings, with the nicest people running this hotel.

Fairfax, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights. We were getting desperate trying to book a hotel for the weekend in Bocas del Toro during Carnival. The owner called around and got a room for us. I felt as if she had saved my life. The hotel itself is basic, very clean with a good breakfast served in a garden where we saw many tropical birds feeding at the bird table.It is family -run and the staff are very friendly. The best rooms are #s 1,2,4,5,11 & 12. The others are rather dark. It is walking distance to town, which is why we chose it. Overall, it is very good value, and I would definitely recommend it.

Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2009

We stqyed in this bnb for two nights and we enjoyed it a lot. First the price is vvery attractive and the room are confortable. The staff is very friendly and the hotel very well maintained. The breakfst is served close to a charming garden and the food is good. Nothing to complain about but a lot of good reason to come again.

1 Thank Cambridge783
canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2009

El Oasis is a great place to stay. The staff and owner are incredibly helpful and friendly. I was sick for a couple of days during my stay and the cook made me some custom made soup. El Oasis is immaculately clean. Its in a great location and the breakfast in the garden is a great way to start the day. We wish we had spent more time here rather than Bocas. El Oasis has some great deals on monthly rental apartments. We would definitely recommend El Oasis.

1 Thank eyesCanada
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2009

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. The breakfast that is included is VERY good!!!! The entire hotel is very clean and the restaurant is very good! The staff is also very great.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo