Ranked #6 of 44 things to do in Boquete
More attraction details
Owner description: Trail is open
Reviewed 20 December 2013

A 4 km sample of the trail to see birds and visit a waterfall was a gentle uphill walk that was more strenuous that we realised. It was very wet and cold when we did it in November but we enjoyed the experience and very varied countryside

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Everything I've read about the Sendero Los Quetzales recommends starting in Cerro Punta and hiking east to Boquete, but our group decided to do things a little differently. Our group hiked west from Boquete to Cerro Punta, stayed the night in Guadalupe (a town over from Cerro Punta), and did some more hiking the next day.

The hike was challenging, not least because we went during rainy season and the rain made things a little slippery (some of us...not saying who but might've been me...fell once or twice). There were also several steep stairs built into the path at various points, which is taxing on the old thigh muscles. That said, if you're in generally decent shape it shouldn't be a problem because you can go at your own pace and there's lots of leisurely nature watching to be done.

Couple logistical things:

-We took a taxi from Bajo Boquete to the trail head, which cost a couple bucks per person. I wouldn't recommend trying to walk to the trail head because it's pretty far and would add a good chunk of time (not to mention sore legs) to your trip.

-You have to pay at entrance fee at the trail head - I'm a bad reviewer because I can't remember how much it cost but I think it was $4.

-To be safe I'd start early in the morning so that you arrive at your destination during daylight. We had some non-morning people in our group so we didn't leave Boquete until after 10am. we reached the end of the trail during daylight, but then we walked to our hotel which was another 5k or so and it got dark before we got there.

-If you want feel like making a couple days trip out of it, I'd highly recommend staying at Los Quetzales in Guadalupe (see my review).

-We originally planned to hike back to Boquete along the Sendero Los Quetzales trail the next day, but most of us were pretty tired from the first hike. Two people in our group did do that, but most of us decided to hike for just a couple hours the next day in nearby Parque Internacional La Amistad and then we squished into a taxi to drive back to Boquete (six of us paid $10 each for a cramped but much-faster-than-the-bus taxi).

3  Thank Shannon L
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Unfortunately this turned out to be a lot longer than expected. We started at Cerro Punta which involved about an hour and a half walk from where the bus dropped us off to the start of the trail.

The trail is nice at the top and there are some good views, but not very many viewpoints overall. The trail is pretty well-maintained considering how long it is but I didn't find it to be very diverse. After being used to hiking in the open countryside, I found it quite repetitive and it seemed to take a long time to get back to Boquete and there's no indication as to how far away you are from the end of the trail, despite numerous sign posts (without the most useful info!)

Perhaps experienced animal watchers would benefit highly from this trail, but without a trained eye or a guide, it's quite difficult to spot the animals.

Overall we left Boquete at 8am and returned to Boquete around 6pm (which was incredibly long considering we had a total of about an hour break all day).

I think all the great reviews had perhaps given me very high hopes that it just didn't live up to. The length of the trail meant that it became monotonous for me after the first 3 hours, so the last 3 weren't so enjoyable.

Luckily when we finished the trail at Boquete a bus arrived near the entrance (though apparently this doesn't usually happen) otherwise we'd have had to walk almost another hour to the next bus stop to get back to Boquete town.

If you're great at spotting animals and really into the jungle, this is the hike for you. If, like me, you like the jungle but prefer hikes with open views, just do the trail to the three waterfalls (cascada misteriosa) as it's shorter and more adventurous which made it a lot more fun for me overall!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

This hike through the mountains of Boquete was quite fun, and not very difficult. It had great scenery and at the end there was a beautiful waterfall with fresh water to enjoy.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I hiked this trail with a group of 9 on a Saturday in November. We had varying levels of physical fitness so our hike did take a little longer than what others have posted. We took a taxi from Boquete to the park entrance. We were charged $2 a person. As others have said it will cost $5 to enter the park. There was a ranger there to describe the trail and answer questions. The trail itself is beautiful and for a novice hiker it has some challenges- there are some steep climbs with large steps. It was very wet on our hike so we were also challenged with some slippery terrain. Hiking from the Boquete side is more of an up hill climb. The trail has a few suspension bridges. There are also some picnic tables and one shelter area to stop for snacks. Our group took about 4-5 hours to complete the trail because we took some food breaks and the youth in our group accommodated the elders with several more breaks! I agree with another post that you must complete the entire trail as the scenery at the end is just breathtaking and so peaceful! Our group continued on to Guadalupe, Panama to stay at the Los Quetzales Lodge and Spa for the night. This added another 1-2 hours to our hike. The next day we were able to hire a taxi back to Boquete and this saved us LOTS of time as we didn't have to go through David. Our trip back to Boquete was about an hour and half. There were 6 of us sharing the cab and we were charged $10 a piece- worth the price with the time we saved!

1  Thank Di K