“Don't stay here. Terrible.”
Review of Hotel Rex

Hotel Rex
Reviewed 29 December 2012

On our December 2012 road trip through Panama we chose this Hotel from our Fodors Panama travel book. While we have always had good luck picking a hotel like this, the Hotel Rex was a HUGE disappointment. We asked for a room with a King bed. We paid $55 which we considered very reasonable. However, when we brought our luggage to the room we discovered was a big water leak on the floor of the bathroom, no towels, dirty sheets, a very old and noisy room airconditioner, no windows that could be opened for any other ventilation and a very dirty room. We left and went down the road a couple of miles and stayed in a brand new beautiful hotel for $75, which included breakfast and a pool. We have done many road trips throughout Mexico and always enjoy staying in older local hotels on the town square. This was probably the worst hotel we have ever seen.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Since my last review things has changed quite a bit and perhaps not in a positive way. I would think that reviews where made so owners and management could be aware of not only the positive feedback, but also the negative ones and make the necessary changes. Well..the only changes I saw during this trip to Panama where the room prices! and nothing else. From approximately $30.00 per night a year or so ago...it boomed to about $44.00 per night! Are you serious? Are they trying to compete with the Azuero Hotel? Perhaps out of desperation people will stay at 44 per night...around the corner there are several (Pensiones) that have just about the same room quality for 15 per one person and 20 for two. If the owner increases the prices of the rooms, so should the quality of the rooms and add free breakfast at least.

Rex Hotel, instead of increasing the quality of customer service, value, service, sleep quality, cleanliness & Room quality, they decreased such services tremendously.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Lotus L
Reviewed 11 December 2011

. If you are expecting a Taj Mahal and pay $30 per night, well it is not going to be possible. The Rex hotel used to be considered a decent place to stay back in the days, however things has changed quite a bit. I did stay in this hotel last year for almost 2 weeks and I will be honest, customer service was excellent, I was always greeted with a smile and the front desk employees were always willing to assist me with almost anything I needed.

The room was just a room, nothing exciting about it, it was clean, and I had a TV, hot water, air conditioner and no one to bother me while I was there. Overall, this hotel is just average; do not expect an all-inclusive five star resort or the Taj Mahal. The town is not Vegas, yet for me this town does have a beautiful culture, rich fauna, and humble locals, especially in the country towns of Las Minas and Loma Del Ranchito.

This town is very small and it is now that I can see the town growing and newer hotels being built in the Azuero area. There are other options to choose from and while in this town if you are nice to the locals, they will be nice back. I think it is about respecting the country and the people while visiting. It is a plus to speak at least a little bit of Spanish.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floors!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Lotus L
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I am Panamanian. My standards are not very high I just need a clean room and a place that at least its being taken care.

The good:

1. The hotel is in front of the Chitre central park. This is a plus if you want to walk the city, which is nice.
2. They accept small pets. I have a miniature schnauzer and they accepted it, which I thing was very nice (and they were the only hotel to accept)
3. The staff is not rude. They are not customer experience experts, they may not speak English, but at least they are not rude they will try to accommodate you as much as possible.
4. The breakfast (which was not included) was ok. Just food nothing more, nothing less. I would rather adventure to the typical places for breakfast but if you are not adventurous type its ok.

The bad:

1. The place once you walk out of the lobby (sort of speaking, which is small and looks kind of nice) and up stairs to the rooms, the place just look kind of creepy. For example: Stairs were dark, the doors looked like they were forced several times, the colors of the wall looked very old.
2. The floor was not very clean, they where fairly clean but I didn´t walk on that floor without my sandals and I didn´t allowed my kids either.
3. The shower tiles were broken and the shower per se looked very rusty.
4. I am a tall person with big shoulders and I hitter twice the first aid mirror.
5. The walls in the room were also not well painted.

I try not to be picky. I have stayed at the Versalles (in the same city) which has the same price range and it was superior on all matters. I mean apples to apples, the Versalles wins.

I could stand only one night (I had reserved two), and went back to Panama City the next day morning.

If you are going to Chitre, go to Versalles, Gran Azuero, or (if you don´t find rooms there) go to Hong Kong (in front of Mc Donalds)

I don´t mean to be rude, or upset anyone, but I am trying to be as honest as possible, to help you have a good experience in my humble country. :)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Augusto_Cabrera
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I was planning to stay here at the hotel for 2 nights. Maybe more if I was going to stay in Chitre longer. I checked in and paid and when I arrived to the room there were two very small beds. I guess I assumed I would get a double or queen bed as I was only one person. Or they would have said the room had two beds. I went back down to front desk and asked for a room with a double bed and was told there were none available. I wish the manger would have let me know this before I checked it. I am not a big guy (6 foot, 200 pounds) but these beds were tiny. The second day I was going to ask for a room with a double bed.

My friend comes to visit me at the the hotel and is told by the lady at the front desk that she is not allowed to come to my room. They have a no guests policy that is not mentioned at check in or displayed in the lobby. Apparently I am suppose to know that somehow. The lady at the front desk was very rude about it according to my friend. I was not there. When I got back to the hotel the lady at the front desk called me over loudly and would not unlock the door to the rooms till I went over. She was rude about it to me as well.

The next morning I decided that I was not going to spend another night in the hotel. I went down to the front desk to get my money back as I prepaid. The owner said that I was being rude when I said I would post what had happened on the internet. I told her I was just unhappy and not satisfied with the hotel and was going to post the truth. I told her they should have posted signs saying no guests. SHe really did not seem to care. I asked why guests were not allowed to visit and the only quasi answer I was given was that they are not a motel. I do not know what that means.

Then another guy came wearing street clothes and a baseball cap. He started to be a translator for us. That was helpful. The manager then wanted me to sign a receipt, I wanted to read it first but the guy said to call the police because I would not sign. He then demanded to see my passport and I told him I did not have to show him my passport. He said to call the police again. I told him I do not know who you are, he was in the lobby and not behind the desk and no name tag. As it turns out he was the husband of the owner/manager I had been dealing with. It would have been nice if he would have identified himself as such before making demands.

This all could have been avoided with the hotel displaying in the lobby their "no guests policy" or informing me at check in.

In March, I was going to stay here and even checked in but left after an hour as my room did not have wifi even though I was told the rooms have wifi. I gave the hotel another chance because they actually do have wifi and it worked great. But that was a mistake. I should have never given the hotel another chance after this misled me once.

I advise everyone to stay here if they want. But be warned from what I have said above.

Chitre is a great place to visit and I hope you enjoy it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank panamaadam
Reviewed 5 March 2011

Clean hotel, air conditioned, tv, nice second floor balcony overlooking the square. The only complaint really was that it was $45/night, and you can get a comparable room in Panama City for $30. It did seem to cater to business travelers. STILL, we really enjoyed Chitre, go check out the baseball stadium to see if they're playing, and go eat at Nostra Terra Pizzeria by the ballpark, great family style Italian place.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KEFranks
Reviewed 24 December 2010

We traveled in Panama for 2 weeks. We spent one week in Chitre and while there stayed at Hotel Rex. It is by far the nicest hotel in the city center. We are not travelers who look for luxury, but a clean, business-class hotel. Hotel Rex was just what we were looking for. It is located one block from the cathedral and from our floor's large public balcony, we could look across the street at the beautiful city park.
Our room was not large, but had a king-sized bed, nice hot shower, and was super-clean. All of the rooms here either have been completely re-done or are in the process of being re-done. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. We arrived before check-in and they stored our luggage at the desk. When we returned it had all been carried upstairs to our room for us. Because we are retirees, we qualified for a cheaper room rate and week-day rates were even cheaper and included a big breakfast in the cafe downstairs.
Wi-fi is provided free by the gov't at "hot spots" around panama and one "hot spot" is located across the street in the park. Because our hotel is so close, we could use this wi-fi from our hotel room.
These rooms are basic. If you are looking for luxury, you can easily pay twice as much if you go out of town a few miles. We love being in the heart of a city and look for "clean, quiet, pleasant, and comfortable" when choosing a hotel. We'd go back here in a heart-beat.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple