“Excellent place to unwind”
Review of Melia Panama Canal

Melia Panama Canal
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Colon
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is a great place to unwind. The hotel is exceptional. The staff is exceptional. The rooms are spotless and so are the grounds. The pool is amazing. If you are looking for a very quiet place to spend some time I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: All of the food is served buffet. Purchase the meal plan when booking or it becomes quite expensive...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank jlg07
MeliaPanamaCanal, Director General at Melia Panama Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear Jlg07,

Thanks for your kind review concerning to your experience among us. Specially thanks for chosing us.

On behalf of the entire staff I'd appreciate your comments and I agree with you about this special and magical place to unwind, due to our facilities and landscapes.

General Manager Meliá Panamá Canal

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Awful!! I got there after 4 pm. At the check in time the reservarion agent told me rhat rhe disco had been closed for almost 8 years!! I asked about that at the time of thereservation and was told that they would have a band. That never happened.
Second, when I went up to the room and open the qater faucet, the water came out brown. I let it run for about 2-3 minutes abd they it cleared.
And the last thing happened when I decided to go to the swimming pool aroiund 9 pm and the manager came oer to let us know that the pool was under maintenance at that time!!! On a holiday weekend !!!! For God's sake...
No disco, brown water, horrible customer service and No swimming pool available!!!!
Around 10 pm I left and asked for my refund and rand they refused to do so

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Sorhay
MeliaPanamaCanal, Director General at Melia Panama Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Sorhay,

I'd like to thanks for your comments which we respect and consider as others really helpful.
Nevertheless I'd like to explain several points:

First, it's not undestable that any travel agent informed you about we'd open any disco, when it's not open since many time.

On the other side we didn't receive any comment about brown water. So anyway we'd appreciate if you colud write us to explain us your room number and reach any problema there, but anyway no other comments has been told us since or after your stay about iy.

Thirdly, our Guest Experience manager, tried to explain to you that at 9pm our pool is not opened for guest because at that time we're in process with the cleaning with chemical products for cleaning the pool and could cause you any injury. Besides there's an advise at the entrance of the pool in which is clearly visible the timetable for pool.

General Manager Hotel Panama Canal

Reviewed 21 March 2014

we had a very pleasant 2 nite stay, good service, very nice pool, only negative is that the hotel is a little quiet. we donot understand the negative reviews, we didnot experience any of it. the hotel is close to the gatun locks, portobello is another nice half day trip

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Henk001
MeliaPanamaCanal, Director General at Melia Panama Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear Henk001,

Thanks for your kind review.
It's an honour you've stayed among us and chosen us for your holidays.
We're considering your comments concerning as a quiet hotel, despite being located in an absolutely amazing area for relax and enjoy about eco-activites (such as canopy, kayac, boat trip round Gatun Lake, etc) or visit cities as Portobello, San Lorenzo, besides visit the Gatun locks of Panama Canal.

Please don't hesitate to contact me in your next visit to Panama. We'll be so proud to welcome you back again.

"Spoedig!!"

General Manager Hotel Melia Panamá Canal

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I don't know where to begin...when my husband and I first arrived at Melia with our birding group, we were very impressed. Knowing the building's interesting history as the School of Americas was exciting and our first impression was positive. We pulled up in front of the hotel and were very pleased with the opulent appeal and friendly greeting from staff. We checked in without a hitch and were more than satisfied when we first arrived in our room. We dropped off our things and went to the sports bar for drinks. That was a fiasco. We needed about $10 change from our bill and they had NO money at the bar. The bartender was not very friendly when we said we couldn't charge to our room (our guide paid for the rooms) and said, "I'll be back." About 20 minutes later, she returned with the change. We left the bar confused and headed to the pool which was excellent (it took me a little while to realize that you have to request towels from the front desk though; I finally asked another guest since I couldn't find staff). We left the premises later that afternoon and unfortunately returned to our room that evening to find that the AC quit working. This is where it gets interesting. We called the front desk and within about 20 minutes, a maintenance employee showed up. He tinkered with the control panel and told us he'd be back in a few minutes. Over an hour later, we called the front desk asking what was going on. They said he left for the night! We asked about our AC and they said they'd move us to another room. The second room was like daylight when we walked in (it was about 11pm) from the the security light outside our window. I tried to pull the curtains closed when they collapsed to the floor- tracks and all. A moment later, my husband announced that the AC wasn't working in this room either. So, we called the manager again who came to our room and agreed to move us for a second time. We arrived in our 3rd room only to discover that the curtains wouldn't close in there either and the AC was only slightly working. We had only 4 hours left to sleep before we had to leave the hotel, so we submitted to the fact it was a losing battle and went to bed. AT 3AM, HOTEL GUESTS ENTERED OUR ROOM!!!!!! Greg and I failed to bolt the door and guests who checked into the hotel late, were assigned to the room we were in!!!!!!!!! We woke to them walking into our room and I don't know who was more terrified- them or us. They shouted apologies and darted out. NO PHONE CALL OR VISIT FROM ANY STAFF AFTER THIS OUTRAGEOUS SCENARIO. We got up and visited the front desk to confront them about the horrible experience. The response? "Sorry, we messed up." We asked for a manager, but no one was available until 8am (it was 6:30am). We went to breakfast in the restaurant- food was awful and the coffee maker was not working. When our guide arrived at 7am, we told him the story. He immediately went to the front desk and demanded a call from the manager asap. No response as of that afternoon. We departed our guide a few days later and he was still trying to work out a refund for our room. I haven't heard if he was successful. On a side note, we were in the country for 3 weeks, staying at several different hotels along the way. This is the ONLY negative experience we had our entire vacation. Had Melia attempted to repair the situation at all, even with something small like a free breakfast, we would have relaxed at least a little. We understand that things go wrong sometimes and that certain experiences are out of their control (like the broken AC). With that said, they offered NOTHING to ensure we were satisfied customers when we left. Please save yourself from such an awful experience and stay anywhere else but here.

Room Tip: Beware of rooms on the front of building; security lights are great for their purpose but not for ro...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jitterbugjamey52
MeliaPanamaCanal, Director General at Melia Panama Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Jitterbugjamey52,

Thanks for your comments concerning to your experience among us.

After reading with interest your review I'm so ashamed about all those incidents and I apologize for not being able to give you an appropiate service as we usual make under Meliá's standards.

In fact I urgently had an interview with my assistants and responsibles in detailed departments.

Be sure your comment will be very usable to correct inmediately this situation!

On the other side, I'm so upset I couldn't get your information on time in order to, firstly, contact you during your stay, and secondly get you any inmediately solution or compensation.

That's why I'd like you to send me an email to explain me with all details (room number, days of stay, name and surname, travel agency, etc) and I'll reply you directly to offer you any solution.

Please take note of my email as follows: alberto.jerez@meliapanamacanal.com.pa

I'm looking forward to receive your email.

One more time I apologize for all those incidents and be sure in Melia, main reason is get 100% satisfied guests and in this opportunity we didn't get, due to a fact of coordination and check.

On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for your kind review and give my best wishes to you and your husband.

Best regards

General Manager Meliá Panamá Canal

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We flew from Virginia and stayed 2 nights at Melia seeking quiet and relaxation from the hectic Carnaval activities in Panama City. We are familiar with the Melia brand from our trips to Europe. My wife and I are seasoned travelers and have been to the Melia Panama Canal many times over the years. The hotel is truly a unique and wonderful experience. It is true that it "had" been neglected from its former grandeur but in the past 9 months Melia brought in a new General Manager (Alberto Ruiz-Larrea) and a new Food Service Manager from their assignments in Spain and Cuba and things are now back on track making it a great vacation for us and our son and daughter in-law. I would not give much weight to negative comments older than say 4 months since so many improvements have taken place since then. The 2-level pool with swim-up bar is very large and relaxing. We all got suntanned and sunburned. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. The hot shower was wonderful with lots of flow and pressure. The setting overseeing Gatun Lake and the jungle is stunning. We took advantage of the free salsa lessons at the pool area and the free kayaks on Gatun Lake. They had a nice variety of breakfast food with an omelet station, warm plates, and all well presented. The dining room was very nice and our plates were removed promptly. We did not go to Colon, but did drive to the Observation Platform & Restaurant at Gatun to see the Panama Canal expansion project (don't miss it), then the viewing stand at Gatun Locks, then Fort San Lorenzo, then veering off into a jungle trail to the small Playa Tortuguilla beach where few locals go, and finally stopping for a bite at Shelter Bay marina in Ft. Sherman before returning to our retreat at Melia. We decided to hang at the Melia the next day because it was so relaxing. Went jogging outside the hotel complex in the adjacent residential area in the morning; looks if-fy at first but other than barking dogs it was pretty safe. The staff was friendly and attentive and Alberto was greeting guests on the grounds asking if everything was to their satisfaction. We plan to go back later this year and are looking forward to seeing the new on-going improvements. Panama is a Spanish speaking country with a million visitors from all over, so don't expect them to speak your language, it helps to brush up on your Spanish that's part of the fun. The Melia was certainly worth it and we highly recommend it. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Joseph M
MeliaPanamaCanal, Director General at Melia Panama Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear JosephM,

Thanks for your kind comments...just one point. I wish I stayed here since 9 months, but it's only since January.

Anyway, I agree with you about beautiness for the lake, gardens, pools, etc.

But JosephM, be sure we're keep working to improve and update rest of areas.
Our best reward is knowing about feedback from our guests are becoming better.

And for sure, personally I'm so thankful about these opportunities to be in touch with guest (meeting directly or Reading all reviews: good and bad....which definitely give us an opportunity to solve any fault).

Finally, thanks for your tips and recommendations to any traveller about what to do in the área.

I'll be proudly glad to meet you in your next visit to Panamá if you decide to come here.

Kind regards from Panamá.

General Manager Hotel Meliá Panamá Canal

Reviewed 4 March 2014

As did another reviewer here, I stayed a night with a Road Scholar tour. I wish we could have stayed longer as I liked everything about this hotel. The grounds are beautiful and the interior is lovely. My room was large and comfortable, overlooking the garden and swimming pool. The buffets - dinner, breakfast, lunch - provided a variety of very good food. This is not a place to stay if you are trying to lose weight! The staff were friendly and helpful.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BillfromGuelph

Dear Billfromguelp,

Thanks for your kind comments.

It's a pity you've only just one night in our hotel. At last, you could enjoyed about our sightseeings, buffet, garden and the mistic ambience!

Your comments about our staff will motivate them for sure. So I'll let them know.

Please don't hesitate to contact us in your next visit to Panamá....

Definitely, this is your home away home!

General Manager Hotel Meliá Panamá Canal

Reviewed 3 March 2014

The hotel is located in the former Escuela de las Americas, where the military groups from Central and South America were trained in the "anti comunist" tactics, torture and contra insurgency... So their ghosts are around in the hotel...the building is nice, the views of Gatun Lake are beautiful, is far from Colon and not easy to reach. No restaurants , shops or other attraction near... The hotel is a little run down -not reaching a Melia standards- Very few guests around. The place is very beautiful, I recomend at least a vist to this place with its very dramatical past...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mxmale,

Thanks for your comments and specially thanks for trust us for spend your holidays among us.

Certainly, this building was before the well known as "Escuela de Las Américas", but believe us...there's no reminiscence or any ghost between it walls.

I agree with you according the hotel still need to be update, and this is pur main focus nowadays.
As well we're working so hard to improve our service and our standars. In fact lasts reviews demonstrates that step by step, results are appearing, not enought still, but we're working hard and keeping up!

Finally, our privileged location is based just to be relaxed. That's the main reason why several big companies trust us to make Team Buildings or other events specially in this área.

Thanks again for your comments and we wish to meet you son.

Kind regards from Panamá

GM Hotel Meliá Las Dunas

Also consider these accommodations in or near Colon
Radisson Colon 2000 Hotel & Casino
Marina Hotel at Shelter Bay
#1 of 1 in Fort Sherman
18 mi away
Gamboa Rainforest Resort

Been to Melia Panama Canal? Share your experiences!