“Melia Panama Canal Hotel”
Review of Melia Panama Canal

Melia Panama Canal
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Colon
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Melia Panama Canal Hotel”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Melia Panama Canal hotel is a magnificent hotel situated in Colon, Panama. It's really nice. It's in the middle of a really quiet place sourrended by nature. It's next to a big lake. You can only listen to birds and peace if you're the guest of the hotel. My children loved the big pool!! Gatun Locks are really near and you can take a taxi to get there so you don't miss the experience of being there. It's also near the Colon port so it's ideal if you're taking a voyage on a cruise The hotel is also situated near a cheap shopping area known as "Zona libre" which is "free of tax".The staff is really really polite and nice!!.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Malala15
MeliaPanamaCanal, Director General at Melia Panama Canal, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Malala15,

Thanks for chosing us for your stay and to take time to let us know your experience through this review.

I agree with you about the quietness atmosphere surrounded Gatun Lake. Nevertheless at same time we offer a variety of activities not only "in house" (zumba, aquarobic, salsa lessons, live music, etc), but others such as,Hiking, Mountain Bike, "Paintball" (opening 23rd August), Zip-line (coming son), etc

Anyway our amazing pool with views to Gatun Lake is stunning for relax time.

Besides, just 10-15 min away, you can take our free shuttle bus towards the Free Trade Zone to go shopping. Or visiting less tan 10 min away the Gatun Locks from the Panama Canal...JUST STUNNING!

Let us know about your next visit in order to welcome you back personally.

Warmest regards!

General Manager Meliá Panamá Canal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

When visiting Colon, before shopping i stop at the Melia for a breakfast. ..I think it's the best in town a variety of everything you can think of not the ordinary continental breakfast...they have a cook on site who makes your own signature omelette an array of different sausages, cold cuts, cheese's pastry's , bread, tropical and exotic fruits, yogurt,all type of cereals hot and cold you also have coffee, espresso, tea..and I can continue the list I think is a good deal for $16 dollars all you can eat breakfast buffet you are set for the day...I think is a must if your visiting Colon, and you don't have to be booked at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank ChantalB4
MeliaPanamaCanal, Director General at Melia Panama Canal, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Chantal B,

Thanks for your kind comments about our breakfast. Honestly you make an interesting and detailed description.

It's a pity you didn't book your room among us, even probably you could score about us higher. But after having a breakfast I'm sure next time you won't miss the chance to discover our treasure in the middle of the Gatun Lake.

Don't hesitate to contact us.

GM Melia Panama Canal
Malibu, California
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Check-in with a large group. Front desk clerk greeted us promptly and with a smile and checked-in 44 people as quickly as she could. Her name is Tanisha and she did a terrific job!
Staff throughout property were smiling, polite and wanted to make the stay pleasant. I was greeted every time i passed someone. The staff get excellent reviews.

Grounds are in need of repair and maintenance . Lots of broken exterior fixtures, unusable tennis court, gazebos in disrepair.
Pool itself is quite nice but umbrellas needed to be wedged in with scraps of wood/ trash to keep them upright.

Overpriced buffet with mediocre food. Again, the staff in buffet tried and were quite pleasant.

Rooms were clean but dated with a seemingly 70-80's style and fixtures (the phone in toilet is as 70-80's as it gets)
Bed was slightly lumpy . Bedding was almost threadbare and probably a 200 thread count at best. Certainly beds and bedding and decor need to be updated.

Did I say property & grounds were in serious need of repairs and maintenance? Overall, a well-below average review is upgraded due to staff & relatively inexpensive price. I will try another property on next visit to Colon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank SanMo
MeliaPanamaCanal, Director General at Melia Panama Canal, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear SanMo,

First of all I'd like to thank you for chosing us for your holidays.

Your comments about our staff in general, and our receptionist Tanisha in special, are really appreciated and will be given to all of them.

Our hotel is in a big updating, and if you could be so kind to send me an email to let me know in particular your experience and your room number, I'll appreciate in order to coordinate with my team. My email is alberto.jerez@meliapanamacanal.com.pa.

On the other side, new improvements are in process actually, such as gardens, tennis court, and new rooms.

Concerning to the buffet almost all our guests value highly our quality standard. Nevertheless we take note for your interesting comments to keeping up our food.

Besides in 3 months, we'll open our Canopy, which we'll really proud cause it'll be our Crown jewel.

Honestly I'd really love if you consider to visit us in your next visit to our hotel, to check our following improvements. Don't hesitate to contac me for any query you'd have.

Kind regards from Panama

General Manager Hotel Meliá Panamá Canal
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is a great place to unwind. The hotel is exceptional. The staff is exceptional. The rooms are spotless and so are the grounds. The pool is amazing. If you are looking for a very quiet place to spend some time I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: All of the food is served buffet. Purchase the meal plan when booking or it becomes quite expensive...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank jlg07
MeliaPanamaCanal, Director General at Melia Panama Canal, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Jlg07,

Thanks for your kind review concerning to your experience among us. Specially thanks for chosing us.

On behalf of the entire staff I'd appreciate your comments and I agree with you about this special and magical place to unwind, due to our facilities and landscapes.

Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Awful!! I got there after 4 pm. At the check in time the reservarion agent told me rhat rhe disco had been closed for almost 8 years!! I asked about that at the time of thereservation and was told that they would have a band. That never happened.
Second, when I went up to the room and open the qater faucet, the water came out brown. I let it run for about 2-3 minutes abd they it cleared.
And the last thing happened when I decided to go to the swimming pool aroiund 9 pm and the manager came oer to let us know that the pool was under maintenance at that time!!! On a holiday weekend !!!! For God's sake...
No disco, brown water, horrible customer service and No swimming pool available!!!!
Around 10 pm I left and asked for my refund and rand they refused to do so

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Sorhay
MeliaPanamaCanal, Director General at Melia Panama Canal, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Sorhay,

I'd like to thanks for your comments which we respect and consider as others really helpful.
Nevertheless I'd like to explain several points:

First, it's not undestable that any travel agent informed you about we'd open any disco, when it's not open since many time.

On the other side we didn't receive any comment about brown water. So anyway we'd appreciate if you colud write us to explain us your room number and reach any problema there, but anyway no other comments has been told us since or after your stay about iy.

Thirdly, our Guest Experience manager, tried to explain to you that at 9pm our pool is not opened for guest because at that time we're in process with the cleaning with chemical products for cleaning the pool and could cause you any injury. Besides there's an advise at the entrance of the pool in which is clearly visible the timetable for pool.

General Manager Hotel Panama Canal

Travellers are raving about these Colon hotels

Puttershoek, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

we had a very pleasant 2 nite stay, good service, very nice pool, only negative is that the hotel is a little quiet. we donot understand the negative reviews, we didnot experience any of it. the hotel is close to the gatun locks, portobello is another nice half day trip

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Henk001
MeliaPanamaCanal, Director General at Melia Panama Canal, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Henk001,

Thanks for your kind review.
It's an honour you've stayed among us and chosen us for your holidays.
We're considering your comments concerning as a quiet hotel, despite being located in an absolutely amazing area for relax and enjoy about eco-activites (such as canopy, kayac, boat trip round Gatun Lake, etc) or visit cities as Portobello, San Lorenzo, besides visit the Gatun locks of Panama Canal.

Please don't hesitate to contact me in your next visit to Panama. We'll be so proud to welcome you back again.

"Spoedig!!"

General Manager Hotel Melia Panamá Canal
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I don't know where to begin...when my husband and I first arrived at Melia with our birding group, we were very impressed. Knowing the building's interesting history as the School of Americas was exciting and our first impression was positive. We pulled up in front of the hotel and were very pleased with the opulent appeal and friendly greeting from staff. We checked in without a hitch and were more than satisfied when we first arrived in our room. We dropped off our things and went to the sports bar for drinks. That was a fiasco. We needed about $10 change from our bill and they had NO money at the bar. The bartender was not very friendly when we said we couldn't charge to our room (our guide paid for the rooms) and said, "I'll be back." About 20 minutes later, she returned with the change. We left the bar confused and headed to the pool which was excellent (it took me a little while to realize that you have to request towels from the front desk though; I finally asked another guest since I couldn't find staff). We left the premises later that afternoon and unfortunately returned to our room that evening to find that the AC quit working. This is where it gets interesting. We called the front desk and within about 20 minutes, a maintenance employee showed up. He tinkered with the control panel and told us he'd be back in a few minutes. Over an hour later, we called the front desk asking what was going on. They said he left for the night! We asked about our AC and they said they'd move us to another room. The second room was like daylight when we walked in (it was about 11pm) from the the security light outside our window. I tried to pull the curtains closed when they collapsed to the floor- tracks and all. A moment later, my husband announced that the AC wasn't working in this room either. So, we called the manager again who came to our room and agreed to move us for a second time. We arrived in our 3rd room only to discover that the curtains wouldn't close in there either and the AC was only slightly working. We had only 4 hours left to sleep before we had to leave the hotel, so we submitted to the fact it was a losing battle and went to bed. AT 3AM, HOTEL GUESTS ENTERED OUR ROOM!!!!!! Greg and I failed to bolt the door and guests who checked into the hotel late, were assigned to the room we were in!!!!!!!!! We woke to them walking into our room and I don't know who was more terrified- them or us. They shouted apologies and darted out. NO PHONE CALL OR VISIT FROM ANY STAFF AFTER THIS OUTRAGEOUS SCENARIO. We got up and visited the front desk to confront them about the horrible experience. The response? "Sorry, we messed up." We asked for a manager, but no one was available until 8am (it was 6:30am). We went to breakfast in the restaurant- food was awful and the coffee maker was not working. When our guide arrived at 7am, we told him the story. He immediately went to the front desk and demanded a call from the manager asap. No response as of that afternoon. We departed our guide a few days later and he was still trying to work out a refund for our room. I haven't heard if he was successful. On a side note, we were in the country for 3 weeks, staying at several different hotels along the way. This is the ONLY negative experience we had our entire vacation. Had Melia attempted to repair the situation at all, even with something small like a free breakfast, we would have relaxed at least a little. We understand that things go wrong sometimes and that certain experiences are out of their control (like the broken AC). With that said, they offered NOTHING to ensure we were satisfied customers when we left. Please save yourself from such an awful experience and stay anywhere else but here.

Room Tip: Beware of rooms on the front of building; security lights are great for their purpose but not for ro...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jitterbugjamey52
MeliaPanamaCanal, Director General at Melia Panama Canal, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Jitterbugjamey52,

Thanks for your comments concerning to your experience among us.

After reading with interest your review I'm so ashamed about all those incidents and I apologize for not being able to give you an appropiate service as we usual make under Meliá's standards.

In fact I urgently had an interview with my assistants and responsibles in detailed departments.

Be sure your comment will be very usable to correct inmediately this situation!

On the other side, I'm so upset I couldn't get your information on time in order to, firstly, contact you during your stay, and secondly get you any inmediately solution or compensation.

That's why I'd like you to send me an email to explain me with all details (room number, days of stay, name and surname, travel agency, etc) and I'll reply you directly to offer you any solution.

Please take note of my email as follows: alberto.jerez@meliapanamacanal.com.pa

I'm looking forward to receive your email.

One more time I apologize for all those incidents and be sure in Melia, main reason is get 100% satisfied guests and in this opportunity we didn't get, due to a fact of coordination and check.

On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for your kind review and give my best wishes to you and your husband.

Best regards

General Manager Meliá Panamá Canal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colon
Radisson Colon 2000 Hotel & Casino
Marina Hotel at Shelter Bay
Marina Hotel at Shelter Bay
#1 of 1 in Fort Sherman
Gamboa Rainforest Resort

Been to Melia Panama Canal? Share your experiences!