“Great beaches and snorkeling”
Review of Isla Grande

and up
Isla Grande Tour from Panamá City
Ranked #6 of 25 things to do in Colon
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The island is hopping....tours...wonderful restaurants. I wouldn't miss Sailing Bocas, catamaran tour for snorkeling. I'm an avid diver, and I was very disappointed with the dives and the condition of the reefs. However, the mangrove snorkeling is excellent with healthy corals.

The island is drowning in garbage, however. All trash barrels were bursting, and trash littered the streets. For a popular travel destination, the island seems to have no reliable source of maintaining sanitation. The excuse is...."there is no money." It was a shame to see such disrespect for the environment in such a beautiful place.

3  Thank womantraveler59
"garbage"
"banana"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 27 February 2014

From Panama city, it is only 2 hours away, this is a must see place. Water is turquoise and clear, also there are some coral and reefs all around here, great for scuba diving or fishing. Spent a weekend here, vacation homes for rent! must check

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Have been going to isla grande all my life since Im panamenian and love the Colon area beaches. Isla grande is defenately one of the best places to go in Colon. Can highly recommend El Nido del Postre..., where Francois and Olga make the best food and desserts in the Island. They also have a small lodge at the same location. Very nice and clean, A/C and such.., However I feel its a bit pricy. Another good place to eat would be Villa ensueño, where they have octopus, lobster and about any seafood you can imagine for a reasonable price. However the Island tends to get crowded in the weekend with local tourist that leave tons of garbage. Besides this I would defenately recommend it for someone that loves either surf, snorkel or scuba. Not the best beaches of Colon....,, The best hotel in the island is by far Banana´s, but its on the opposite side of the island and there is not much to do there except obviously Banana´s Hotel.. Getting there is easy by bus. I would recommend first timers and backpackers to pick the bus at Sabanitas at the REY supermarket. Getting the bus from the Colon Bus terminal can be risky.

5  Thank Alberto H
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I took my wife to Panama for our honey moon in January 2014. We stayed in Panama City for seven days. Two of those days I took her to Visit the island. I visited the island three times once in 1996, 2011 and 2014. If you go during the weekends it is more busy. The parking fee is five dollars compare to 3 dollars in 2011. The boat ride is $2,50 per person compare to 2 bucks in 2011. We passed by Portobello and the old fort seems finished with the renovation. We ate at the Congo restaurant and the food was good. They are slow when it is busy. Overall nothing much has changed. It us still a bit trashy at the parking and the beaches. We enjoyed going there during the week days. Less traffic and people. My wife like the rustic feeling of the island. We did noticed there were jet skis for rent at one of the hotels.

3  Thank soibean
See more reviews
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I traveled from New York to Panama and then on to Isla Grande. On the first night the accomodations were not the best, to say the least but the beach was wonderful. While walking along the beach front we walked by El Nido del Postre and noticed how well taken care of the place was so we ordered dinner and enquired if they had any rooms available. By chance, a group was leaving so we snagged a room. The atsmophere is incredible and the food........to die for. My girlfriend and I eat out at the best restaurants in New York at least 3 to 4 times per week and if Olga Ahrens of El Nido had a restaurant in NY it would be our favorite for sure. The staff are pleasant and make you feel like you are a very welcome quest. I would give this place 10 out of 10 for sure.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member