Perfect location right on the beach. Everybody at the hotel was very friendly and it was a lovely relaxed atmosphere. Pascal who is the manager spoke both English and Spanish (and French obviously) and was very welcoming and hospitable, and the girls on the desk (sorry I'm hopeless with names) were always cheerful and went out of their way to help.
The room was a bit tired in terms of decoration, but this didn't really bother me. If you come here expecting luxury then you will be disappointed but the way I look at it is you don't come to Contadora to enjoy the room - if you want luxurious decoration and 5* facilities then there are plenty of good hotels in Panama City that will cater for that. On Contadora I spent most of the time swimming, snorkelling, spear fishing, kayaking etc and just went back to the hotel room to sleep. Having said that I understand there will be some refurbishment works over the coming year. The internet was generally ok but in common with most other places in Panama it doesn't always work when you want it to, however they have 2 wifi networks so at least a better chance of getting a connection.
The food was of a good standard, I generally went for fish but they also do pizzas and paninis etc, and the eating area is in a beautiful spot overlooking the beach. Restaurant service was fairly laid back, I guess what you would expect on an island in Panama.
I didn't really understand some of the other comments on here about going to bed at 10pm. It's not as if there is any nightlife on the island, no streetlights and no taxis. It's not really a party place, which personally I like, but if you want that then go to Bocas del Toro instead.
Overall a very enjoyable few days, thanks to all at Villa Romantica, I hope to come back soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mar & Oro is the only hotels on the island, Contadora, with direct access to the the most beautiful beach on the island, Cacique Beach. With recently updated rooms, Mar & Oro features a great range of rooms types for you to pick from. Furthermore, the property is now run by a new administration which promises to deliver a great customer service to ensure you and those who accompany you have an excellent experience. Whether you are looking to enjoy some drinks by the beach or have a great meal, Mar & Oro has got you covered. Within the hotel we feature a beach bar known as Cacique Beach Bar, and a restaurant known as MiraOlas. Since we are located next to the beach we take great pride delivering the freshest seafood. To ensure that our seafood is the freshest we buy it directly from the native fishermen's which spend hours fishing daily from the beautiful blue Pacific Ocean which surrounds Contadora. During your stay with us, you will be able to request an umbrella and beach chairs to spend hours relaxing at Cacique Beach. With our staff from Cacique Beach Bar standing by to facilitate any beverage or meal we ensure you will have an unforgettable experience that will last a life-time. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Mar & Oro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Romantica Hotel Contadora Island
- Romantica Hotel Contadora Island