“beautiful resort”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Farallon
Ottawa, Canada
“beautiful resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Room was absolutely stunning. Bought the upgraded suite, and was well worth it. Absolutely beautiful view of the ocean. Staff were very accomodating, very little english, but that was okay . The only negative thing I can say is the food was horrible. Charcoal chicken at the snack bar was amazing when you could find it. Buffet was really horrible..........especially the guests who were touching the food with their hands and picking it apart. Expect alot of walking as the resort is absolutely huge. Had to pay for room safe which we didnt find fair considering what we had paid for the week. Drinks are obviously very watered down. Room fridge was restocked everyday with soda and beer. A definate plus!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Thomas094

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

We went for our honeymoon in april 2013. I dont know why I was expecting white sand but, yeh it was far from it. Beach was very disapointing. Lots of stones, far from clear water.. Was not the beach I was hoping for. As far as the food it was great lots of options. 90% of the staff speaks only spanish so that was an issue for us.. and omg.. There are so many stairs up and down lol.. Overall had a good time, but not sure if will go back, will see, to many other resorts out their to go back to panama..

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Shermoo
Ajax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed at the Royal Decameron December 16th to December 30th. We liked the hotel and found that if you made an attempt to speak a little Spanish, most of the staff were friendly and helpful. The beach and pools are wonderful. The food is typical resort fare, which can get a little boring, but we always found something good to eat. Luckily, we were in section 11 so we were on ground level and central to the pool, beach and restaurants, which was a blessing considering it's a huge multi-level resort, and we had my 83 year old father with us and I broke my ankle on Dec.23rd. As with all travel over Christmas, we payed a premium rate to be at a resort for Christmas. Needless to say I was shocked and dismayed when on my return from the hospital on Christmas Eve, I was informed that due to the fact that some guests don't celebrate Christmas, they were keeping it low key and would not be doing anything special to celebrate the occasion. Other than a turkey dinner on Christmas eve, you would NEVER have known it was Christmas in Panama.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a beach front room. Sections 11, 12, 13 would be my choice. They are at beach...
3 Thank janet m
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had a great week+ at the Royal Decameron. Rooms were clean and updated and the service was good. It is very close to the former home of Manual Noregia (sp)....just down the beach. Although a bit of a wreck now...it must have been magnificent when he lived there. At the time we were there they had an exchange program....you could spend part of your time at the resort, and then the remainder at a hotel in Panama City....great hotel....great food.. We opted for that, and it was great decision. We got to relax at the resort, and then spend some time touring the 3 cities of Panama. We chose not to take advantage of the tours offered by the hotel in Panama and instead walked outside and picked up a tour at about 1/2 the cost. This resort is worth the money.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank charli
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

The resort itself is not too bad. The rooms were nice but it's a little older. The beach was wonderful, you could walk several kms. on the shore in the sand and the ocean itself was really nice to swim and play in. The water was a little murky but very warm. The pools were plentiful and therefore not too crowded. There was quite a lot of shade and they always had lots of towels in many different towel pavilions. The bars were well organized with lots of different drinks that were not too sweet. The main buffet restaurants were quite good but served mostly fish and chicken, not much beef or pork (my husband doesn't like fish or chicken). Their deserts were simply fabulous, but not much ice cream that we missed. The staff however, seemed to be grouchy and not very welcoming. They would chase you away from the beverage station but we had to wait and wait before they came over to serve us.

4 Thank pauline_c_emond
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

My boyfriend and I travelled to panama dec 23rd-30th we loved the country but would never recommend the resort. Let me start by saying we are very easy going and sometimes when we read negative reviews we think "these people are probably just snobs that you can't please" but I wish we listened to the negative reviews before booking here.

We like to play golf once and awhile so we figured we would book a villa on the green which comes with free golf (they don't advertise that on weekends it's actually $70 a person). When we arrived after a brutally long day of travel (flight delays due to the ice storm) check in was relatively easy which was one positive. We were told our bags would arrive in our room within half an hour and not to worry about them. We also had to pay about $25 for a safe for the week (should be included in my opinion). We asked the shuttle to take us to our room and it ended up being literally a 10 minute bus ride from the resort!!!! It seemed like we were in a subdivision and we couldn't even see the resort from where we were.. At midnight after a full day of travel you can imagine we weren't happy about this surprise. There was also no toilet paper or fridge in our room.. I tried to call the font desk but there was no number left there to contact them and when I was finally able to there was no answer. Our phone rang at 2am and it was the bell boy with the luggage.. However it was only my boyfriends bag there and they ended up calling and waking me up at 6 am to deliver mine.

Fortunately after 3 different attempts at switching rooms we were moved to a villa directly across from the resort which we were very happy with. Although the rooms are basic they were fine. Our main complaint was that there was no fridge in the room to keep any drinks cold.. We have never encountered that before.

The food was just ok.. The buffet had maybe 5 items half of which were unrecognizable.. Lots of rice pasta and beans. We tried 3 a la carte restaurants.. You had to make reservations for them so if you weren't there early you probably won't get a table until the 9:40 seating. All of them offer only a salad bar for appetizers.. The steak house seemed hit or miss.. My steak was amazing and a really good cut (I hate fatty steaks) but my boyfriend found his very gristly.. Luckily he's not picky so didn't complain much about it. Catch of the day restaurant was amazing and I highly recommend it.. However they do have lobster and a few other items at an additional charge, I recommend walking down to woodys just down the beach the lobster is the same price and comes with jumbo shrimp. The el canal restaurant was just ok.. There seemed to be a lot of hype over it and was tough to get a reservation but it's mostly seafood and catch of the day was much better. Overall average a la Cartes and below average buffet.

Service was overall just ok.. Some employees are great and really do their best to understand and help out. Most of the time your playing charades if you don't speak Spanish but this is to be expected and didn't bother us at all. There were a couple instances of extremely rude service. My boyfriend was standing at the bar to get a drink and the bartender completely ignored him and served about 15 other people who hadn't been waiting without even acknowledging him.. He got so frustrated we had to walk all the way to another bar. The next day we slept through lunch so we wanted to stop at the snack bar for some nachos to tie us over until dinner. They were just wrapping up service and there were two Spanish speaking people in line before me. The server went to the back and got two plates for them and completely ignored me.. When they were done the server cleared all the food without even acknowledging my presence. This was around 430 and the buffet doesn't open until 630 so there was absolutely nothing you can do until then (no room service option). The bell boy who moved us to our new room was amazing we tipped him $20 (didn't have small bills) and the rest of our trip anytime he saw us he stopped to offer a ride or help us out.

A few things to beware of about the resort- DO NOT bring Canadian cash with you.. They only offer $.65 per $1 at the resort!!! Luckily we exchanged our money before we went but we spoke with a few people who only brought Canadian and they were not pleased. Calling is crazy expensive $30 fee to open your line $3 connection fee for any call and $3 minute per call. We actually walked to the convenience store down the street and purchased a calling card $5 for two hours and used the pay phone across the street (a little ghetto but still safe and much more practical cost wise). We didn't bother with Internet but heard it was very expensive as well.

There is A LOT of walking anywhere you go.. I was happy with this as it was some exercise to work off the food and drinks however my boyfriend broke his foot a week before we left and he found it pretty tough. If you are not fully mobile don't book this resort its huge!!

There were some positives.. The beach was absolutely beautiful and the weather was great! it was very hot and humid but hey that's why we're there isn't it! There is so much amazing history in panama it was awesome to learn about the culture and history. We booked the jungle land adventure with panama roadrunner and the guides were very knowledgable and taught us a lot about panama. The tour itself was ok we got to see birds a sloth and a monkey.. Great experience- how often do you get to see the panama rainforest?

I would highly recommend panama but skip this resort!!!! If we had stayed more than a week I honestly would have switched to a different place half way through. After staying at a 5 star in Mexico last year I would give this resort 3 star at best! Listen to the bad reviews I wish I would have!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Kellie2014
Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Met with the family for Christmas. Great place to forget about the daily trials. Varied restaurants make dining interesting. Beach front bars are plentiful. Many activities to chose from. The whole resort is well maintained. The staff is very attentive and ready to help in any way possible.

1 Thank Abe C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farallon
Hotel Riu Playa Blanca
Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort
Hotel Playa Blanca Beach Resort
JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort
BlueBay Coronado Golf & Beach Resort
Hato Viejo Boutique Hotel

Been to Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino? Share your experiences!