“Wish we had spent 2 weeks not just 1”

Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Farallon
“Wish we had spent 2 weeks not just 1”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Reading other reviews affirms that if you want to have a bad time you will. Read up on the place you are visiting. Try to be a gracious guest, learn a little of the language and do not assume everyone speaks the same language as you. Even my humble spanish was appreciated. Reading about the resort firsthand, knowing that in room safes and small fridges were extra $, knowing that you only receive one key per room unless putting down a deposit, knowing that there are stairs all over the resort and maybe consulting a map of the place prior are all things I DID FOR MYSELF. I can see how not knowing these things and arriving fresh off the bus could amount to some blown expectations but I hardly think thats anyones fault but your own. Its called research people. My room was nice second floor as requested, I did request a fridge but they only have 50 that they move from room to room and 850 rooms, so unless you have a medical reason to have a fridge you probably wont get one. Oh missed your NOLITOURS meeting? then blame yourself for not knowing anything about the resort. When we checked in it was very nice, greeted outside with a drink, and strangely enough, they handed us a MAP of the resort! We found our room using the map, but even as we were walking to it, staff approached us and pointed out the right building to us. An added bonus to this resort was the many many stairs! We would walk from one end of the resort to the other after meals. The food was ok, not the best we have had, but definitely not the worst. We really enjoyed the chicken at the snack bars. The drinks were the best! such a selection and very quick preparation, always with a smile. Juan was my favourite bartender at the swim up adult pool bar.

Our rooms were kept spotlessly clean by some very nice ladies and the A/C was actually too cold sometimes and we had to turn it off at night.

If you're looking for the Caribbean clear blue water beaches, this isnt it. the water was warm and felt great but was murky and made snorkelling pointless. the beach is very dark silty sand and the tide comes way up, so if youre one of those people who drag your chair all the way up to the waters edge to watch your children play in the water rather than play with them in the water, then why don't you drag your chair back when you are done so they are not chasing the chairs down the beach as they get pulled out to sea.

The Nolitours staff were very helpful, very friendly and provided some comic relief. They hooked us up with a tee time but sadly when i learned it would cost over $400 for our round the thought of playing 18 holes in +36 temp wasn't as appealing. If you want to golf, book a villa which includes 4 free rounds. the grounds looked good but not much coverage and a little dry.
Yes wifi is expensive, walk down the beach to Woodys Canadian for a beer and enjoy free wifi and watch some hockey!

Next time we will definitely split the trip with a few nights in the city, and partake in some of the rainforest excursions or the canal tour.
all in all a great trip! watch out for tree climbing Iguanas!

Room Tip: when booking beach front you receive rooms closest to amenities and beach, if youre looking for some...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kerrie C
Adal B, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Greetings dear visitor,

We appreciate your review.

We are improving in all areas, to offer you the relaxing rest you deserve. Regarding the mini bar, nowadays all rooms has one. Also the we provide free WiFi in our three lobbys so you can stay tuned.

Hopefully we will receive you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bogotá
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

You can relax and have a great time. There you can find Coan swimming pools, golf court, private beaches, great food, excellent service. My full trip from Colombia round trip air tickets and hotel was 1300usd for 2 people 4 days.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank david007co
Greetings dear customer,

We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay here in Decameron.
Hopefully we will receive you soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

A very nice, big , clean resort offering many pools, bars and Al la carte restaurants. (Adult infinity pool with bar we thought was the best) Beach was nice with lots of area to walk along and explore a bit. Rooms were clean and tidy. Lots of walking which we found nice after drinking and eating lots. Food was average didn't bother us though. Neat Canadian bar down the beach as well as a little town with a few restaurants and shops worth checking out no hassle and safe. We stayed 5 nights and another 2 in Panama City. After 5 days the resort had offered everything we were looking and a change was nice. Only negative would be the length of drive to the resort from the airport. Enjoy !

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank LiveActive86
Greetings,

We appreciate your review.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed during your stay in February.

Hopefully well have you around soon.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

Flew in from Montreal with Air Transat. Nice new plane. Flight was just over 5 hours.
Immigration and Customs was quick. They take your picture and finger print you. Nolitours is set up at the airport, you get your room number and another number that tells you where to line up when you get to Decameron.
On to the bus with a free bottle of cold water, nice touch. It's about a two hour drive with a quick stop for washrooms and beer.
Decameron is organized, we had our room key and wrist band very quickly. Had to go to the lobby for a safety deposit key, cost is $22 for a week.
Our room wasn't ready but we were prepared for that, we changed in the pool bathroom and had a drink and were in the pool pretty quickly. This was our third time at the Decameron so we knew our way around. Our room was at the top of the hill, building 20. Basic room but nice with a king size bed. Bathroom was ok, nothing fancy but everything worked. Hot water every morning and night. I would recommend bringing your own shampoo and soap though, theirs wasn't nice.
Nolitours meeting was our first morning and the spa has a deal if you book that morning, $40 for a 50 minute massage, well worth the price. My massage was down by the beach and very good.
Food was excellent. We had breakfast every morning at the buffet by lobby 1. We were there when it opened at 7. We had an omelet or pancakes and fresh fruit every day. Evening buffet was great too, we ate there three nights and at specialty restaurants four nights. The special restaurants we tried were all great. The best was El Canal, salmon was excellent. KonTiki was good, Panamania and Club Med as well. Kon Tiki and Club Med are right on the beach so it was nice to be there at sunset. No stomach problems or issues all week.
Beach was good, nice for long walks. Be careful though, there are sand fleas if you are out walking early. Ocean was nice and warm but some times big waves and undertows. We did see one individual getting rescued by the lifeguard. And we heard of a few jellyfish stings as well. Pools were great, so nice and clean.
Drinks were good, lots of variety. No clamato juice though so no Caesars. We walked to Woodys a few times. You could get a large Caesar and a beer for $8, pretty fair price.
Lots of exercise walking up and down the stairs.
Checkout was smooth and the bus back to the airport was again just under 2 hours.
This resort is good value and is still on my list of resorts that I would return to.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank moemoe_10
Dear customer,

We appreciate your review, these comments are opportunities to improve and offer you a better service.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay on March, hopefully we will have you again.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

For me and the rest of my 13 person party we would all agree we would never go back to this resort. From start to finish we did NOT enjoy ourselves. I did not feel like I was on vacation because I felt as though I had to accommodate staff when they were suppose to be accommodating me. It was like they were doing me a favour when I'd ask for anything or tell me there was no manager around, say they spoke no English and worst of all argue with me when I'm the guest! Never mind customer service.. No one knew how to basically problem solve when we were simply trying to change rooms or book an al a carte restaurant reservation.

From the start it's at 5.5 hour flight then a 2 hour bus ride to the hotel in which we didn't stop for a washroom break after a whole day of traveling. Got to the hotel at lobby 1 as there are 3 lobbies (only one key per room) and found out they deliver our luggage to the room and LEAVE IT OUTSIDE THE DOOR for just about anyone to get to and when you request to take your own luggage they will not let you. Our 6 rooms in which we requested to be the same building were scattered across the resort, 15 minute walk apart and there was no changing rooms at 10pm because there was apparently no manager available it was absurd. No one guided you to your room on a 90 acre resort! So when it's 10pm at night and it's dark at a new resort and no one speaks English to help you get to your room it's a little scary! To make matters worse when I finally found my room myself my luggage was not outside the door. They lost my luggage. I went to lobby 3 at 11pm now asking someone for help because all I wanted to do was change into new clothes and sleep, no one could help me, no one knew what I was talking about no one spoke English on night shift. So I walked ALL THE WAY back to lobby 1 and found my own luggage sitting by the curb where they dropped us off and dragged it ALL THE WAY back to my room! I almost flew back home after the first night of hell. No mini fridge in the room to chill the water or free wifi anywhere so we had to purchase some to do work which was pretty expensive 72 hours of consecutive wifi in your room or lobby was 42$. My second morning my maid asked us to sign a form in the morning written all in Spanish and she couldn't speak English to explain it, here I was thinking it was to say that she cleaned our room yesterday.. Nope she didn't show up to clean our room for the next two mornings so we didn't have clean towels. My fault, so I learned how to say please clean my room in Spanish when I saw her and asked she looked at her colleague and rolled her eyes and noded in frustration that she would clean it. I begged my maid to clean my room, pretty sad.

THE FOOD at the buffet was pretty bad, I really tried, I really did but it was just a mash up of stews and random foods every time. Chicken wings for breakfast! When you would see ground beef or hot dogs at the midnight buffet and then see little mini meat balls and cut up saugage at the buffet in the morning for breakfast you just put two and two together. I basically ate burgers fries and chicken nuggets all week because the salads weren't very appetizing. When the buffet jar at the salad bar of balsamic vinegar would run out and you would ask for more they would tell you there was no more and 15 minutes later they would put more out?? Some of the al a cartes were good like the sushi samba but booking them was the hard part, took me 20 minutes one morning to book one reservation for 8 people. Not because of a lineup but because the lady couldn't communicate properly and solve a room number problem on her computer.

The pools were nice always a line up at pool bar for drinks. The beach was clean the water was a little murky. It's very hot there like 45 degrees with humidity so wear lots of sunscreen. Lots of South American people staying at the resort. The entertainment was repetitive and the disco was pretty good just that they only Latin music. The place is very secure, always security on patrol, except when your walking back to your room late at night and they whistle at you it's a little scary.

The last day my aunt went to find out when we were leaving and the bus situation. They had placed us on two different busses which was a problem because we had small children separated from their moms. The woman who spoke English from nolitours actually argued with my aunt about putting us all on the same bus.

All around the service to me was horrible.

I'm lucky the weather was good to get a nice tan that's about it and the resort didn't even provide me that the weather did naturally.

I would never go back to this resort and wouldn't advise anyone to go there either even if the value of the trip looks good. It's not worth it. Not only have I put this on trip advisor I also wrote a letter to the royal Decameron head office because I'm so unhappy.

• Stayed February 2014
12 Thank Ctharr
Greetings,

Thank you for your comments, we are sending this review to the correct department so they can proceed with actions.

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We are training our staff to provide better customer service.

This is an improvement opportunity.

Travellers are raving about these Farallon hotels

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Travel times:
Flight times from Montreal via Air Transat : 5:50 to Panama City and 5:10 back. A little longer than the flight to the Caribbean but you are assured of warm climes. Bus ride to the resort was on average 2 hours each way (out of 4 times). A new airport is slated to open near the hotel but the timing is still unclear.
Hotels rooms:
We stayed in a beachfront room, block 31 and the rooms were great. Great view of the pool and ocean, A/C worked well, rooms were very clean, no mould whatsoever and the cleaning staff kept the room immaculate. Only wish there was a fridge in the rooms as if you request one, say for medication, there is a $30 charge per week. I highly recommend the beachfront rooms over any other unless you are there for the golf. Buildings are 3 stories and have no elevators.
Food:
There is an oriental buffets near the pool on the upper level and a few restaurants near lobby 1 but the majority of restaurants and buffets are on the beachfront level and the buffet food is very palatable. There is something to eat for all tastes. It can be somewhat repetitive after a week but the restaurants (reservations required) can add to the diversity. Ask for bacon at the egg station if none is available…we had some every day. The steakhouse was our favourite, followed by the seafood and others.
Beach:
The beach is quite wide and very hot (sun is hotter here closer to the equator). Don’t expect the type of fine sand found in Cuba or Punta Cana but it is nice. The water is not as clear depending on the wave action and I was unable to snorkel as I would elsewhere. People do play the towel game and shade is at a premium so do reserve early as you cannot stay in the sun for more than an hour or two at a time. Non-motorized toys can be reserved at beachfront below lobby one.
Pools:
Plenty of clean pools for people to use and there are more people in pools than in the ocean. Some have water jets/spouts to refresh users. They are not deep (about 4 feet for the swimming ones) but are a welcomed relief from the scorching sun.
Outings:
The resort and travel reps have a number of outings. We decided to go our own by renting (negotiating) a taxi for the day to Panama City. For $170 (we were 6 people) we rented a van & driver and went Panama City and visited Amador (3 islands), old Panama City, the Miraflores locks (part of the Panama Canal) and the shopping mall. I recommend spending a few hours in the old Panama City area and skipping the mall. Prices are comparable (even more expensive) to ours….no deals to be had here. A local bus (modified van) in front of lobby 2 will take you to Panonome (local town) for $2 each way. Look for the ones that have the words “Farallon – Panonome” on the windshield. We also used a taxi to go to Anton Valley for the suspended bridges, zip lining, mud baths and local market. The ATV outing was great fun riding in the countryside and on the beaches.
Overall:
The price was right and the temperature was very warm. We enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Beachfront block 31 recommended.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Sunisamust
Dear customer,

Thank you for your review, these comments will help travelers to choose their destination.

Here in Decameron we care about our customer, this is why we are making some changes so your stay it becomes even better.

We hope to have you soon.
St Albert
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Takes a 2 hour bus ride from airport to reach resort. Very bland food with poor variety. Drinks no where near an ounce each, bartenders unfreindly, bartender at Bar 1 almost snarly, too many steps everywhere and therefore not suitable for seniors, easy to get a la carte reservations, very picturesque,very few English speaking staff, they seem to cater more to Spanish speaking people. Check in and check out process seamless. Hot water not available all the time. No facecloths provided nor did they give us a bottle of water everyday as they claim. Internet very costly and not worth the money, extremely hot , difficult to walk on sand without burning feet. Noisy airconditioner

Room Tip: It seems most rooms give you a sea view. Building number 19 very close to Lobby # 1
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sultan25
Greetings,
We appreciate your comments.
These review will make us improve in the areas you mentioned, regarding the difficulty of locomotion, we offer a internal transportation, we recommend to let us know in advance.

Hopefully we will receive you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farallon
Hotel Riu Playa Blanca
Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort
Hotel Playa Blanca Beach Resort
JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort
BlueBay Coronado Golf & Beach Resort
Hato Viejo Boutique Hotel

Been to Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino? Share your experiences!