“Stay Away / Anthony Q”

Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Farallon
Reviewed 1 April 2014

A group of 26 of us went Feb. 2014 and not one person had a good thing to say about the resort. It was the same attitude to the other people on the plane on the way home. No fridges in the rooms, no ice to be had anywhere. It was an all inclusive and everything was extra: a key for the safe $3.00 per day, deposit for extra key only one per couple. Rooms no where they looked in photos and showers were 10 seconds of cold and without notice 10 seconds of scalding hot.Low grade brands of drinks. Only bad tasting draft beer. No workers, long lines to get a bad drinks, meals most times not worth eating and very few people speak English or even care. Would never recommend to anyone. Paid to stay at the Hard Rock Hotel the last night just to get away from the ROYAL DECAMEROON. Panama Canal was nice, that's the only thing good about the trip. Very HAPPY to leave and to never return.

Room Tip: Stay at the bottom of the Hill less walking
12  Thank Anthony Q
Adal B, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Greetings,

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience.

We appreciate these comments, they encourages us to provide a better service, we are doing our best to improve, that is why now all our accommodations have mini fridges, also we are remodeling and upgrading our rooms.

Our guest service staff are fluent in English, unfortunately we weren't able to offer this service to you.

There are newer reviews for Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed at the Royal Decameron for 15 days in Feb of this year. It was our first time to Panama. The reason we decided to go to this resort, was mainly that the price was right. It is a 2+ hr drive from the airport to the resort. There is a new airport that has been built only 15 minutes away, which will mean planes decending over the resort when they come in for their landing. Pretty noicy!! The resort grounds are well kept and beautiful. Our room was clean, but simple, none of the little extras that you get when you pay a bit more for a vacation. No coffee maker, no mini fridge. The air conditioner was dated, but, it worked fine. A little noisy at times. You have to pay in order to use the safe, it's not included. I believe it was under $4/day. After reading the reviews, we decided to upgrade to a beachfront room and boy, were we glad we did. The resort is built on a steep hill, so those who didn't get a beachfront room had to climb 66 steps up to the top of the resort, every time they needed to go to their room. Our room was level with the ocean, which was very convenient. The food was ok, not alot of variety, as only half of both steam tables were used, having the same food selection on both. There was always something to fill up on, though, we didn't go hungry. We spoke to some people who had been there withing the last 5 years and they said that the food was much better and had alot more variety then, than it does now. We didn't try the a la carte restaurants. If you like the heat, Panama is the place to go!! The whole two weeks we were there, we didn't get one drop of rain and it was probably around 45 degrees celsius most days. So hot that you can't walk around the pool or in the sand in your bare feet!! The main reason why I won't return to Panama is that the ocean isn't as apealing as the Caribean sea. It is quite mirky, with lots of jelly fish on the shore. The sand isn't white, there's lots of black sand moving around in the waves, making the water look dirty. You can't see the bottom at all. There were warnings of stingrays, so that freaked me out enough, that I didn't go in the water. We spent most of our time by the pool. By day 11, we were both ready to come home, which usually never happens. Too much pool time!! Hope this helps!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a beachfront room!! Your legs will thank you!!
1  Thank GinaandDave055

Greetings,

We appreciate your comments.

These review will make us improve in the areas you mentioned, regarding the steps, we offer a internal transportation, we recommend to let us know in advance, also we now all accommodations include a mini fridge, thanks to your comments now the resort has updated more than 190 rooms with new mini splits so you can enjoy your stay.

Hopefully we will receive you again.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed here five and six years ago. The resort has obviously cut back on the quality of the meals to some respects. The buffets had much less variety and the slow service was a result of fewer floor staff and lack of interest. The theme restaurants were about the same, however some menu items were of a lesser quality than five years ago. Our stewed lamb dinner for example, was made from neck bones instead of lamb meat. Pretty slim pickings. The resort grounds were not kept as clean as before - fallen leaves, gravel on the pathways etc. All in all I'd say that the waining quality and customer experience satisfaction was a result of general cut backs. There are two schools of thought in how to increase profits. The first looks for ways to save money. The second looks for ways to make more profit. The first looses customer word of mouth promotion, and the second increases it. Royal Decameron has sadly chosen the first.

Room Tip: You can request a building and floor level, but they pick the room. In all fairness rooms can be swa...
2  Thank Walter B

Greetings dear customer,

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay in February.

These comments encourage us to improve the areas mentioned on your review, They will be sent to the right department.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was recommended this place by a coworker. He loved it..... unfortunately things have changed....
Food is ordinary but acceptable especially in the A la Carte restaurant. Problem is service. No in between .... some staff have a giant smile on their face ( a minority ) and the rest of the staff ..... well my dog has a greater smile.
One night we looked for ice for an hour....
Adult pool with bar closes at 5H30. Actually, the sign sais 6h00 but at 5h30 they threw everybody out of the pool for maintenance....... we stayed to have a few drinks by but nothing was done in the pool when we left at 7h00...
We met people there that were going for the 3rd time .... they obviously loved it ..... but hated this time.
We were told the resort had been sold so that can explain the change of philosophy.
Will go back to Panama .... but not there!
M

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marc R

Greetings,

We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

These comments will help us to improve our service, therefore we will like to tell you that now we have a pool open until 22:00

Regarding the customer service you received we will send this information to the correct department.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

My husband went to the Royal Decameron (Feb 25 - Mar 8, 2014) and really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere. Yes, there are stairs and it is hilly. This did not bother us as we are pretty active. I ran in the golf course section three times until I didn't wear my hat one day. Big mistake even at 7:00 AM, ended up with heat stroke. My husband ran in the fitness centre every morning at around 5:30 AM. Even though it is not supposed to open until 6:00 the door was open. He found that if he didn't get in before 6:30 the room really heated up by the time he ran his 10 - 12 miles. The place is older but very clean, the grounds are immaculate and the food was better than we have at the two times we were in the Riviera Mayan, Mexico (both were 5 star places). For tips on this resort go the Farallon Forum and read ICSYHFH who provided a very detailed list based on his 4 times to this resort. His list is spot on from arrival, the bus ride, arriving at the resort, what items to bring from home, what to expect, etc. Can't thank him enough for all the advise. When we arrived the first night the staff shuffled us all into a buffet that was horrible. My husband and I actually left our full plates and walked out. We were so disappointed and thought that the rest of the meals would be the same. Turns out that was the only bad meal we had. We ate at 5 of the restaurants that you can reserve and the meals were fantastic. The "Catch of the Day" was our favorite. Sushi was 2nd (ate there twice), and Fusion (Thai) 3rd. We ate at the buffets for all our breakfasts, lunches and the dinners we didn't have reservations. The Buffets always had something we loved. The beach is long and if the tide is out and you can get around the rocky points you can walk for a couple of hours. We would walk every morning for at least a 1 1/2 hours and around 4:30 when it cooled off we would walk down to Pippa's for a beer. Not that the beer served by Carlos and Julio at the bar closest to our Palapa wasn't great. The walk was to work off some of the beer. The beds were extremely comfortable (better than Hard Rock in Panama City). Would we go back to this resort, don't know. Only because we found during our last week that the airport right next to the resort was getting pretty noisy with the planes flying in and out. The airport just opened and I wish they would have moved it elsewhere. I really fell in love with this resort and all the wonderful staff we got to know, but we came to relax and the airplanes were annoying. See my next review on the Hard Rock in Panama City.

Room Tip: Get beach front rooms, buildings 11 - 14 or 30. Closest to the beach. Take the second or third flo...
3  Thank Turdie50

Greetings,

We appreciate your review.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in Decamaron in February.

Hopefully we will receive you soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Let me start by saying that I had been to this resort five years ago and hadn't been impressed.... What a change this time! First of all, yes the travelling is long but well worth it... I really will miss my long walks on the beach... I would walk to Pipa`s (15 - 20 min) and enjoy a cold beer and walk back. Yes, the water is murky but the so enjoyable... I had rread previous reviews where people complained abouts rays and Jelly fish but I had no problem with it. Even on the day that the white flag was up, I went in the water 2-3 times and was fine... The hotel grounds are really well kept and the staff works hard. Yes, it is a big resort but some walking did me some good and I enjoyed it. My room was in block 31 so it was close to the beach and most main attractions. I do agree that the rooms need a little updating but it was stll great. My only complaint would be that the walls are paper thin and we could hear the people in the other room too well and too clearly.....

I did not miss having a fridge in the room as we had bottled water in the room everyday. We did not pay for the safety deposit box and did not regret it.

The pools are really nice as well (I am not a big pool fan).

I think that what made this trip so special was the fact that low season was starting (just came back was there from march 17 to march 24). Therefore, lots of room on the beach (never had to worry about finding a palapa) no line ups for dinner reservations or at buffets.

We did not book any tours as we normally prefer to do things on our own... One day we took the public transportation to Panama City and walked around, it was fun...

The food is average. Breakfast is really good is you get an omellette or eggs cooked. As for lunch we would normally eat at the restaurant on the beach where they had hamburgers, hot-dogs, pizza, nachos and it was allright. For dinner we always had a reservation the best restaurant was kontiky (fusion) you have to try the beef and blue cheese pasta it was amazing.... The sushi restaurant was our second favorite. The restaurants that were ok but nothing special: El canal and Cayuco. As for the Catch of the day restaurant, I paid the extra 7,80$ for the shrimp platter and was happy about it. Mogo Mogo was very average but still ok. So basically, you will never go hungry some restaurants are better than others.

Normally when I travel I almost always get sick and always really am careful about what I eat... Well this time, I ate whatever I wanted and I didn't have any issues with my stomach....

So basically yes I would go back probably around the same time of the year (mid march) because I wouldn't to be there when the resort is full. The beach is lovely, the resort is beautiful and the food is average but not a show stopper.

I would recommend this place without hesitation.

Room Tip: Try getting a corner room so that you only have neighbours on one side. Try getting a room on an up...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gennie L l

We appreciate your comments,

We are pleased to read that you had an amazing time in our resort. With the improvement areas you detail we are going to be able to build timeless memories.

Regarding the mini fridge, now all of our accommodations has one without any charge. Hopefully we´ll have the opportunity to have you soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Reading other reviews affirms that if you want to have a bad time you will. Read up on the place you are visiting. Try to be a gracious guest, learn a little of the language and do not assume everyone speaks the same language as you. Even my humble spanish was appreciated. Reading about the resort firsthand, knowing that in room safes and small fridges were extra $, knowing that you only receive one key per room unless putting down a deposit, knowing that there are stairs all over the resort and maybe consulting a map of the place prior are all things I DID FOR MYSELF. I can see how not knowing these things and arriving fresh off the bus could amount to some blown expectations but I hardly think thats anyones fault but your own. Its called research people. My room was nice second floor as requested, I did request a fridge but they only have 50 that they move from room to room and 850 rooms, so unless you have a medical reason to have a fridge you probably wont get one. Oh missed your NOLITOURS meeting? then blame yourself for not knowing anything about the resort. When we checked in it was very nice, greeted outside with a drink, and strangely enough, they handed us a MAP of the resort! We found our room using the map, but even as we were walking to it, staff approached us and pointed out the right building to us. An added bonus to this resort was the many many stairs! We would walk from one end of the resort to the other after meals. The food was ok, not the best we have had, but definitely not the worst. We really enjoyed the chicken at the snack bars. The drinks were the best! such a selection and very quick preparation, always with a smile. Juan was my favourite bartender at the swim up adult pool bar.

Our rooms were kept spotlessly clean by some very nice ladies and the A/C was actually too cold sometimes and we had to turn it off at night.

If you're looking for the Caribbean clear blue water beaches, this isnt it. the water was warm and felt great but was murky and made snorkelling pointless. the beach is very dark silty sand and the tide comes way up, so if youre one of those people who drag your chair all the way up to the waters edge to watch your children play in the water rather than play with them in the water, then why don't you drag your chair back when you are done so they are not chasing the chairs down the beach as they get pulled out to sea.

The Nolitours staff were very helpful, very friendly and provided some comic relief. They hooked us up with a tee time but sadly when i learned it would cost over $400 for our round the thought of playing 18 holes in +36 temp wasn't as appealing. If you want to golf, book a villa which includes 4 free rounds. the grounds looked good but not much coverage and a little dry.
Yes wifi is expensive, walk down the beach to Woodys Canadian for a beer and enjoy free wifi and watch some hockey!

Next time we will definitely split the trip with a few nights in the city, and partake in some of the rainforest excursions or the canal tour.
all in all a great trip! watch out for tree climbing Iguanas!

Room Tip: when booking beach front you receive rooms closest to amenities and beach, if youre looking for some...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kerrie C

Greetings dear visitor,

We appreciate your review.

We are improving in all areas, to offer you the relaxing rest you deserve. Regarding the mini bar, nowadays all rooms has one. Also the we provide free WiFi in our three lobbys so you can stay tuned.

Hopefully we will receive you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Farallon
Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort - An All Inclusive Resort
JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort
Hostal Acuarela
Hostal Acuarela
#1 of 1 in Farallon

Been to Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!