“7 days away from winter”

Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Farallon
edmonton
“7 days away from winter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed here for 7 days in March . It was our first time to Panama. Tired of Mexico and wanted something different. Yes it is a 2+ hr drive from the airport to the resort- which is bad and good - there are NO noisy planes over the resort when they come in for their landing. do not whine on reviews about the 2 hour ride - you have been warned over and over again.

Definitely upgrade to beachfront if possible - the room was level with the ocean, which was very convenient. otherwise you are walking up hills and stairs - do not whine on reviews about this - you have been warned over and over again.

the staff was friendly to us - I know this is all-inclusive but open your wallets people. this staff makes approx $2.20 per hour - tip your bartender once in a while and tip your waiter at the al a cartes (also your maid) . You would tip at home for these services. And for gosh sakes - pick up your plastic glasses from the beach! just my rant on how to treat people when you are a guest in their country.

the Club Med and Brazilian al a carte were nice - because there are right on the beach.

Go to Pipa's at the end of the beach for seafood - cheap and good.

I am not a high maintenance traveller and do not knit pick - what do you want for a $1000?! for 7 days. If you are that choosy - go to Sandals or Club Med.

the resort is huge and the only one on this beach - so it is not overly packed - which is nice.

WARNING - they seem to ship you back to the airport quite early - and the food in the airport is more overpriced than a movie theatre. $9 for a bag of potato chips. EEK!

Enjoy your week away from the Canadian winter.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jpilat1
Adal B, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Greetings,

We appreciate your review.

These comments encourage us to provide a better service. We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay here in Decameron.

Hopefully we will receive you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

A group of 26 of us went Feb. 2014 and not one person had a good thing to say about the resort. It was the same attitude to the other people on the plane on the way home. No fridges in the rooms, no ice to be had anywhere. It was an all inclusive and everything was extra: a key for the safe $3.00 per day, deposit for extra key only one per couple. Rooms no where they looked in photos and showers were 10 seconds of cold and without notice 10 seconds of scalding hot.Low grade brands of drinks. Only bad tasting draft beer. No workers, long lines to get a bad drinks, meals most times not worth eating and very few people speak English or even care. Would never recommend to anyone. Paid to stay at the Hard Rock Hotel the last night just to get away from the ROYAL DECAMEROON. Panama Canal was nice, that's the only thing good about the trip. Very HAPPY to leave and to never return.

Room Tip: Stay at the bottom of the Hill less walking
12 Thank Anthony Q
Greetings,

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience.

We appreciate these comments, they encourages us to provide a better service, we are doing our best to improve, that is why now all our accommodations have mini fridges, also we are remodeling and upgrading our rooms.

Our guest service staff are fluent in English, unfortunately we weren't able to offer this service to you.

Travellers are raving about these Farallon hotels

Sudbury, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed at the Royal Decameron for 15 days in Feb of this year. It was our first time to Panama. The reason we decided to go to this resort, was mainly that the price was right. It is a 2+ hr drive from the airport to the resort. There is a new airport that has been built only 15 minutes away, which will mean planes decending over the resort when they come in for their landing. Pretty noicy!! The resort grounds are well kept and beautiful. Our room was clean, but simple, none of the little extras that you get when you pay a bit more for a vacation. No coffee maker, no mini fridge. The air conditioner was dated, but, it worked fine. A little noisy at times. You have to pay in order to use the safe, it's not included. I believe it was under $4/day. After reading the reviews, we decided to upgrade to a beachfront room and boy, were we glad we did. The resort is built on a steep hill, so those who didn't get a beachfront room had to climb 66 steps up to the top of the resort, every time they needed to go to their room. Our room was level with the ocean, which was very convenient. The food was ok, not alot of variety, as only half of both steam tables were used, having the same food selection on both. There was always something to fill up on, though, we didn't go hungry. We spoke to some people who had been there withing the last 5 years and they said that the food was much better and had alot more variety then, than it does now. We didn't try the a la carte restaurants. If you like the heat, Panama is the place to go!! The whole two weeks we were there, we didn't get one drop of rain and it was probably around 45 degrees celsius most days. So hot that you can't walk around the pool or in the sand in your bare feet!! The main reason why I won't return to Panama is that the ocean isn't as apealing as the Caribean sea. It is quite mirky, with lots of jelly fish on the shore. The sand isn't white, there's lots of black sand moving around in the waves, making the water look dirty. You can't see the bottom at all. There were warnings of stingrays, so that freaked me out enough, that I didn't go in the water. We spent most of our time by the pool. By day 11, we were both ready to come home, which usually never happens. Too much pool time!! Hope this helps!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a beachfront room!! Your legs will thank you!!
1 Thank GinaandDave055
Greetings,

We appreciate your comments.

These review will make us improve in the areas you mentioned, regarding the steps, we offer a internal transportation, we recommend to let us know in advance, also we now all accommodations include a mini fridge, thanks to your comments now the resort has updated more than 190 rooms with new mini splits so you can enjoy your stay.

Hopefully we will receive you again.
Oakville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed here five and six years ago. The resort has obviously cut back on the quality of the meals to some respects. The buffets had much less variety and the slow service was a result of fewer floor staff and lack of interest. The theme restaurants were about the same, however some menu items were of a lesser quality than five years ago. Our stewed lamb dinner for example, was made from neck bones instead of lamb meat. Pretty slim pickings. The resort grounds were not kept as clean as before - fallen leaves, gravel on the pathways etc. All in all I'd say that the waining quality and customer experience satisfaction was a result of general cut backs. There are two schools of thought in how to increase profits. The first looks for ways to save money. The second looks for ways to make more profit. The first looses customer word of mouth promotion, and the second increases it. Royal Decameron has sadly chosen the first.

Room Tip: You can request a building and floor level, but they pick the room. In all fairness rooms can be swa...
2 Thank Walter B
Greetings dear customer,

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay in February.

These comments encourage us to improve the areas mentioned on your review, They will be sent to the right department.
Saint-Jérôme, Quebec, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was recommended this place by a coworker. He loved it..... unfortunately things have changed....
Food is ordinary but acceptable especially in the A la Carte restaurant. Problem is service. No in between .... some staff have a giant smile on their face ( a minority ) and the rest of the staff ..... well my dog has a greater smile.
One night we looked for ice for an hour....
Adult pool with bar closes at 5H30. Actually, the sign sais 6h00 but at 5h30 they threw everybody out of the pool for maintenance....... we stayed to have a few drinks by but nothing was done in the pool when we left at 7h00...
We met people there that were going for the 3rd time .... they obviously loved it ..... but hated this time.
We were told the resort had been sold so that can explain the change of philosophy.
Will go back to Panama .... but not there!
M

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marc R
Greetings,

We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

These comments will help us to improve our service, therefore we will like to tell you that now we have a pool open until 22:00

Regarding the customer service you received we will send this information to the correct department.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

My husband went to the Royal Decameron (Feb 25 - Mar 8, 2014) and really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere. Yes, there are stairs and it is hilly. This did not bother us as we are pretty active. I ran in the golf course section three times until I didn't wear my hat one day. Big mistake even at 7:00 AM, ended up with heat stroke. My husband ran in the fitness centre every morning at around 5:30 AM. Even though it is not supposed to open until 6:00 the door was open. He found that if he didn't get in before 6:30 the room really heated up by the time he ran his 10 - 12 miles. The place is older but very clean, the grounds are immaculate and the food was better than we have at the two times we were in the Riviera Mayan, Mexico (both were 5 star places). For tips on this resort go the Farallon Forum and read ICSYHFH who provided a very detailed list based on his 4 times to this resort. His list is spot on from arrival, the bus ride, arriving at the resort, what items to bring from home, what to expect, etc. Can't thank him enough for all the advise. When we arrived the first night the staff shuffled us all into a buffet that was horrible. My husband and I actually left our full plates and walked out. We were so disappointed and thought that the rest of the meals would be the same. Turns out that was the only bad meal we had. We ate at 5 of the restaurants that you can reserve and the meals were fantastic. The "Catch of the Day" was our favorite. Sushi was 2nd (ate there twice), and Fusion (Thai) 3rd. We ate at the buffets for all our breakfasts, lunches and the dinners we didn't have reservations. The Buffets always had something we loved. The beach is long and if the tide is out and you can get around the rocky points you can walk for a couple of hours. We would walk every morning for at least a 1 1/2 hours and around 4:30 when it cooled off we would walk down to Pippa's for a beer. Not that the beer served by Carlos and Julio at the bar closest to our Palapa wasn't great. The walk was to work off some of the beer. The beds were extremely comfortable (better than Hard Rock in Panama City). Would we go back to this resort, don't know. Only because we found during our last week that the airport right next to the resort was getting pretty noisy with the planes flying in and out. The airport just opened and I wish they would have moved it elsewhere. I really fell in love with this resort and all the wonderful staff we got to know, but we came to relax and the airplanes were annoying. See my next review on the Hard Rock in Panama City.

Room Tip: Get beach front rooms, buildings 11 - 14 or 30. Closest to the beach. Take the second or third flo...
3 Thank Turdie50
Greetings,

We appreciate your review.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in Decamaron in February.

Hopefully we will receive you soon.
Montréal, Québec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Let me start by saying that I had been to this resort five years ago and hadn't been impressed.... What a change this time! First of all, yes the travelling is long but well worth it... I really will miss my long walks on the beach... I would walk to Pipa`s (15 - 20 min) and enjoy a cold beer and walk back. Yes, the water is murky but the so enjoyable... I had rread previous reviews where people complained abouts rays and Jelly fish but I had no problem with it. Even on the day that the white flag was up, I went in the water 2-3 times and was fine... The hotel grounds are really well kept and the staff works hard. Yes, it is a big resort but some walking did me some good and I enjoyed it. My room was in block 31 so it was close to the beach and most main attractions. I do agree that the rooms need a little updating but it was stll great. My only complaint would be that the walls are paper thin and we could hear the people in the other room too well and too clearly.....

I did not miss having a fridge in the room as we had bottled water in the room everyday. We did not pay for the safety deposit box and did not regret it.

The pools are really nice as well (I am not a big pool fan).

I think that what made this trip so special was the fact that low season was starting (just came back was there from march 17 to march 24). Therefore, lots of room on the beach (never had to worry about finding a palapa) no line ups for dinner reservations or at buffets.

We did not book any tours as we normally prefer to do things on our own... One day we took the public transportation to Panama City and walked around, it was fun...

The food is average. Breakfast is really good is you get an omellette or eggs cooked. As for lunch we would normally eat at the restaurant on the beach where they had hamburgers, hot-dogs, pizza, nachos and it was allright. For dinner we always had a reservation the best restaurant was kontiky (fusion) you have to try the beef and blue cheese pasta it was amazing.... The sushi restaurant was our second favorite. The restaurants that were ok but nothing special: El canal and Cayuco. As for the Catch of the day restaurant, I paid the extra 7,80$ for the shrimp platter and was happy about it. Mogo Mogo was very average but still ok. So basically, you will never go hungry some restaurants are better than others.

Normally when I travel I almost always get sick and always really am careful about what I eat... Well this time, I ate whatever I wanted and I didn't have any issues with my stomach....

So basically yes I would go back probably around the same time of the year (mid march) because I wouldn't to be there when the resort is full. The beach is lovely, the resort is beautiful and the food is average but not a show stopper.

I would recommend this place without hesitation.

Room Tip: Try getting a corner room so that you only have neighbours on one side. Try getting a room on an up...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gennie L l

We appreciate your comments,

We are pleased to read that you had an amazing time in our resort. With the improvement areas you detail we are going to be able to build timeless memories.

Regarding the mini fridge, now all of our accommodations has one without any charge. Hopefully we´ll have the opportunity to have you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farallon
Hotel Riu Playa Blanca
Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort
Hotel Playa Blanca Beach Resort
JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort
BlueBay Coronado Golf & Beach Resort
Hato Viejo Boutique Hotel

Been to Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino? Share your experiences!