“Horrible!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Farallon
Panama City, Panama
“Horrible!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I am from Panama and have stayed in 4 different beach resorts here ... and this one was by far the worst! To start off, they make false advertisement. Their websites "sells" the idea that they have the largest pool in the area and are all inclusive. However, you have to pay $15 extra per person to use that pool! Ridiculous! The property is old and run down. They were out of pool towels, ketchup, and even hot water! On top of everything, they do not understand the concept of customer service! Panama has a few other options. Don't go to this resort. So not worth it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Adi K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Polish first
Mitchellville, Maryland
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My daughter and I stayed at this resort for a week and enjoyed ourselves. The accommodations were nice, the food was good. The specialty restaurants were average. The Italian restaurant was the worse. The Steak house was the best but the food was served warm, not hot. Our reservation was for an ocean front room and they tried to put us in a partial ocean view stating that there was a difference between ocean view vs ocean front! So, if your reservations are for ocean view, plan on having to speak with management as you won't get that view. The nightly activities were very un entertaining and there were no beach activities at all. The resort is more family/ kid friendly so if you are adult couples expect to be slightly bored. I would also recommend a room near the elevators as they are slow. The resort is fairly new so I am certain with time, the activities and specialty restaurants will improve. The maid service was poor. My room wasn't cleaned 1 day and my bar was never re- stocked my entire 5 day stay. The resort is close to some coo. Points of interest like, Anton Valley and Penenome. My favorite staff was Benjamin who greeted us upon arrival and recommended places to go. Overall, my stay was enjoyable but I have stayed at several Riu's around the country and this one had the most un entertaining resort events.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Yvette W
Panama City, Panama, Panama
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Al decidirme por Playa Blanca esperaba romper con el taboo de que el Decameron había pasado a ser demasiado corriente y popular. La verdad Playa Blanca me pareció igual o peor, por lo menos no lo que me esperaba. Ahora comprendo la popularidad del Decameron no se lo gana nadie.
Habitaciones entre sucias a regulares, la atención del personal entre regular pasando hasta grosera por parte de algunos. En mi habitación no colocaron toallas y la luz central nunca funcionó.
La comida muy normal y hasta aburrida..
Lo que me impresionó fue la enorme piscina de agua salada y los toboganes, excelente para los niños, lo malo que allí no hay bar cerca y se hace algo incomodo luego de un rato. Tampoco hay baños cerca de allí.
Del lado del hotel está la otra piscina la cual también no se le compara a la cantidad de piscinas en el Decameron. Pero está pasable también.
El restaurante de Sushi excelente !
Snack bars con comida vieja y de mala calidad.
En fin creo que para haber pagado mas que en el Decameron si se refiere a los hoteles de TODO INCLUIDO creo que no me apuntaría de nuevo al Playa Blanca.
Falta conocer el nuevo RIU :)

When i was deciding on Playa Blanca i hoped to break the taboo that the Decameron had become too common and popular. Actually I found Playa Blanca is the same or worse, at least not what I expected. Now I understand the popularity of the Decameron can not be equaled.
Rooms from dirty at regular, personal attention between regularly going to rude by some. In my room did not put towels and central light never worked.
The food was very ordinary and even boring.
What struck me was the huge saltwater pool and toboggans, great for kids, bad that there is no bar nearly and is somewhat uncomfortable after a while. There is also no bathrooms nearby.
In the side of the hotel is the pool which was also not compared to the number of pools in the Decameron. But it is also fair.
Sushi restaurant excellent!
Snack bars with old and poor quality food.
In resume i paid more in Playa Blanca than the Decameron but if it refers to all inclusive hotels I do not think I would point back to Playa Blanca.
Still i must know the new RIU :)

Room Tip: En el downtown queda muy lejos del área de restaurantes todo incluido.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Leidy N
David, Panama
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I just returned from a four day stay at the Playa Blanca resort, which was the first time I have been there. The Good: Arriving seems pleasant as it goes through a nice residential area on fairly clean roads.... Check in was friendly and fast, felt accommodating to us (we were my family of four and my wife's parents in separate rooms). I asked for rooms side by side, and larger beds for my family and was assured we were give that by management.

Other good things are the pools which are nicely sized, good play areas for the kids with a water slide, lots of lifeguards, clean as can be expected and good chairs to sit on and some shaded areas..... so far, so good.... including the food selection at the main dining room, I don't think anyone would complain about. Also, the wait staff had a few really nice people (and a few duds but that is to be expected)..... also, the pool snack bar was always stocked with finger foods and fruit etc... and tasted good to boot.

The Bad: We were given rooms separated and not together! Our parents room was great... modern and clean, but our room had smaller beds, no towels in the bathroom, a heavy odor or urine in the bathroom, the hot water valve at the shower fell off and could only work if one pushed it onto the striped stem, the refrigerator leaked water onto the floor, the safe had dead batteries, the duvet on one bed was dirty leaving me to believe they didn't even change the bed sheets but I found out they at least did that and the phone would not call out, but should I go on? Also, the food, while great, was really in only one main dining room. They had a sushi place inside the main dining hall on the end area, but it had to be reserved so they denied us access however only two tables out of about 15 had people for the entire two hours we were in the area that first night.... the second night they closed that restaurant!.... so very little choice in dining here. One other thing worth mentioning, we never had hot water... it might get lukewarm after five or ten minutes waiting, but never did it get hot, in either room spread far apart, so it was just not comfortable.

The Ugly: The beach at Play Blanca, which translates into English as White Beach, was mostly black! Volcanic sand or something but it looked dirty..... also, the concession for the normally free beach fun items was given over to a private company and they had very high prices on everything!! Too high to even consider using anything to have fun in the water there (compared to the nearby all inclusive Decameron who let you even use their Hobbie catamarans free! Plus their beach is at least all white or beige anyway... Here at Playa Blanca, they wanted $40 per hour for the Hobbie Cats!

They advertise this huge pool for Playa Blanca (maybe second largest in latin america?) but it is not part of the hotel..... and it is huge if you decide to walk over and see it...... but it is useless and no one was using it as it is lined on the bottom with white rubber and the rubber has lifted in many places creating large bubbles, plus the white makes it reflect the sun and it is so bright and hot there, it is actually unbearable!!! We all looked and then left as soon as possible knowing now it is just a marketing gimmick to sell condos there...... We also had a medical emergency while there not related to the hotel but, the nurse who came by, didn't know how to take blood pressure, showed little interest in helping us, charged a cash fee and the nearest hospital or doctor was about 25 minutes away, but when we got there, there were no doctors and we had to wait for over two hours!!!! When we got back, we needed a wheel chair or help to get my wife back to the room, but they said they could not give us one or anyone to help me! Needless to say that left a bed impression of them and the area in general. Don't plan on having an emergency or even a heart attack at this hotel please!

Overall, we would return here knowing the limits in advance and would check our room carefully before letting the bellman go.... if you want a relatively quiet vacation and smaller hotel, this may be for you. If you want a lot to do, a huge hotel grounds, more pools and many restaurant choices, then go to the Decameron Hotel down the road. The general dining food is not as good but the specialty restaurants easily make up for that.

By the way, the kids club which we counted on for our four year old, remained closed for the days we were there!! Shame on them for that.

We got to our rooms which was not easy since everything had to be carried upstairs by hand... but we had help to do that. After we entered our room, we

Room Tip: Just make sure you don't accept the room until you check everything, turn on the shower, wait fo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank tarzantheman
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The place is in serious need of renovations and tidying up. The wifi only works in the lobby or you have to somewhat magically find it around the pools. They sell it to you but the prices are a joke and of course they didn't have the weekly pass available which would save you money over the hour or 30 minute increments. It's all inclusive yet not a single thing to drink in the minibar. Most of the staff were great.. However a few behind the front desk were rude and not accommodating. A friend of mine who didn't have a reservation wanted to see my room before paying and they wouldn't even let him do that. So that goes to show you something. How some have reviewed this place as awesome I'm not sure how! I left my room one morning at 6 am only to return at 5 pm.. Tired and worn out from a long day to not even find it clean. Food was ok but I'm not the biggest fan of a buffet to begin with. Service while at dinner was good. It's very loud at this hotel so if ur looking for a relaxing time it's prob not the place for you. The best part of the trip was a open water race that we got to watch from the beach haha..

Room Tip: Choose something close to the lobby if you want a good nights rest.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank John S
Jhenifer D, Gerente at Hotel Playa Blanca Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
First of all, thank you for your comments.
we are working actually in some renovations and improvements in all the hotel but we are going to take in consideration your opinion because it help us to improve our services.
We hope that you come back soon.
regards,

Travellers are raving about these Farallon hotels

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The place is beautiful with a lot of garden beds all the way around. The complex is divided in 2 areas: the suites and the regular hotel rooms. The suites are situated into 2 big apartments buildings witch is 10 floor high or maybe more and it face the largest pool in the caribbean. In the lobby area they have several stores and restaurants. The other area (hotel like) has another reception area and is the entrance to several pools, bar and at the very end of it you will find a beautiful beach with sparkling black and white sand. The staff is very polite but the mayority of them do not speak english. The ambient is more relaxed if you are comparing it to the Decameron resort.

Room Tip: The suite T414 didn't have a very good air conditioner.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank betzabelc
PBlanca, Guest Service at Hotel Playa Blanca Beach Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your opinion.
It is very important to know that your stay was wonderful.
We hope that you come back soon as posible.

Regards,
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel has extensive gardens, a large pool with a swim-up bar, lots of music for an energetic ambience, and attracts many travelers from across the region, including many families. It offers marginally better food than its new neighbor the Riu Playa Blanca. The biggest drawback is its need for a renovation. While the bathroom had a new vanity and sink, the shower was old (the clear shower curtain was dirty), and the room was very old. This could be good value for money if you plan to spend very little time in the room. Also, only some rooms have balconies big enough for chairs -- make sure you ask at reception. Wifi is only available in the lobby; you can pay for access with 30 minute increments.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Michele B
Jhenifer D, Gerente at Hotel Playa Blanca Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your comments.
We are actually working on a renovation of our romos but your opinion is going to help with the process.
We hope that you come back soon to enjoy our improvements.

Thank you for prefer us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farallon
Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort
Hotel Riu Playa Blanca
Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino
JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort
Casa Guardia Panama
Casa Guardia Panama
#2 of 5 in Farallon
BlueBay Coronado Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Hotel Playa Blanca Beach Resort? Share your experiences!