“Lovely room - so-so food”
Review of Jais Aben Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madang
Jais Aben Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Madang
East Bay, near San Francisco
“Lovely room - so-so food”
Reviewed 11 September 2010

Our tour group of 15 stayed here for only one night. Our room (#10) was large, with 2 double beds and an outdoor screened porch. Others in our group had troubles with their air conditioners, etc., but ours worked perfectly and we slept comfortably. On the "minus" side was the food in the restaurant. I'm vegetarian and ordered the veggie pizza, which was awful, with a terrible crust. The restaurant's open-air setting, however, is quite lovely. The resort has a large open air lounge where it is possible to relax comfortably and read. WiFi is also available, but at a price!

• Stayed August 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 22 August 2010

First of all, the facilities are fine, and the setting is great. But, service, management, and food have greatly gone down hill since my first stay in 2007. The first time we went, the new Canadian Management had not arrived. It was wonderful. The food was decent to good. The employees were happy. The Beach Bar area was lively as was the Scuba Diving outfit on the grounds. We loved it. As we returned a few times each year, we have seen the quality of the food go way, way, down. Now there is no childrens menu. A real shame. My kids used to love eating there. I believe it is a management issue. They never have half of the things on the menu availble. The new managers have changed many things and really none for the better. The rooms are nice. Stay away from their family bungalows with the kitchen in them. They are dirty, old, and overpriced. Well, beautiful place, but everything else has gone down hill while the prices have shot up. I am actually sad to see how the whole feel of the place has changed. Oh well.......

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 June 2010

As two young women meeting with an NGO on the premises, we ponied up for 2 nights at Jais Aben and left after one.

We had 90 minutes between meetings for dinner, ordered a simple dinner and were told after 60 minutes that the chef had not received our order and after another 15 minutes that he had used the wrong cheese on a pizza and needed to start over. With 15 minutes remaining, we canceled our order.

That night, we were set to enjoy the sound of waves crashing but instead found men peering into our windows. One stood 3 feet from the window for a full hour. And then, at 10 pm, they began knocking on our door. We stood motionless and fearful. Clutching our mobile phone, we desperately searched for a signal to call security. There was none. We peered out the back window scanning the horizon for a guard. There was none. Terrified that the sound of the waves would drown our screams if these strange men forcefully entered our room, we piled up our luggage against the door and tried to find some sleep for the night.

In the morning, we approached the manager. He seemed wholly unconcerned with our experience. Later, he came to us with the news that these men were not hotel staff but other guests (from PNG Power) and asked if we would like an apology. We did not wish to ever see these men again, promptly checked out and sought more secure accommodations.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank 2doubletrouble2

Travellers are raving about these Madang hotels

Papua New Guinea
Reviewed 2 November 2009

I have travelled and stayed at Jais Aben many times over the last 17 years. It was very rundown years ago but slowly but surely the incoming owner has completely improved the place - there are now airconditioned rooms with balconies that are less than 10 metres from the crystal clear sea, the beach bar has been completely renovated as has the main dining and bar area. It is about 20 mins from Madang and it is a real tropical paradise ! Breakfast is a short walk from the bungalows you stay in and is a la carte and has great pancakes ! The restaurant is also right next to the sea and the views are breathtaking - drinking hot PNG coffee and watching the canoes glide by. There is a small beach by the beach bar (perfect for children young and old) and you can even feed an amazing array of brilliantly coloured fish from the jetty. The reef starts about 50 metres away from the beach and runs parallel to shore so even the most unlikely snorkellers can have a go. My children never tire of finding nemo, as the clown fish are prolific, varied and spirited. The water is warm and calm and combined with the vision of the palm trees on the old plantation across the inlet, the experience is just heavenly. Lunch is served now at the beach bar - rolls, wraps, burgers, kaukau chips, ice cream etc - or at the restaurant - grilled meats etc. It is easy to spend the whole day there, with or without children. Dinner is a limited buffet, but the food is fresh and tasty. The rooms are of varying levels - from budget to executive - the deluxe rooms are great for a family, with 2 x queen size beds, a balcony, air con, small fridge, tea/coffee, beautiful timber work and floors and a roomy bathroom. Service is good for PNG - it is not Intercontinental standard, but maski wari, slow down, get Melanesian, it's hot for goodness sake - you'll get what you ordered eventually - it is the same type of service in any hotel in PNG !!! Make friends, have a chat, smile and go with the flow. Most of the staff have been there a very long time and are great people and are very tolerant of both children and demanding white people. The resort reflects PNG life - early to rise, early to bed - if nightlife is what you are looking for, it is not for you. If peace, well-being and beauty is what you want - go to Jais Aben !!! The management has not been there long, probably a year and a half - but have made some really good changes to the whole resort. Menus have changed, rooms freshened up, internet has appeared and they have successfully implemented a plan of full activities at the resort such as snorkelling, canoeing, kayaking, fishing and island and village trips etc. Previously the people running the water centre focussed on scuba full stop which was a real shame. Jais Aben shows PNG at its best - the spectacular flora, the amazing clear warm waters of the sea and the pungent tropical air that just hypnotises you into laid back mode. It is a mesmerising place and I recommend it to anyone who visits PNG and wants to sit back and be amazed at her beauty

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank TiffanyWHP
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 September 2009

I travelled here with my husband and was completely taken away with the beautiful scenery, exotic birds, palm trees, and the lush green surrounding us. The management were so helpful and the staff were excellent. The food was wonderful and everybody was very helpful. The only part that we hated was having to leave!!! I would recommend this to anybody looking for an amazing experience!

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Kerema
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Spent 1 night in this so called Resort.. In the magazines, it looks so stunning with myriad of activities such as Scuba Diving, etc.. i but was trully disappointed with my stay and will surely not go there again.. There isn't even Scuba Diving as stated..

The location is quite scenic and tranquil and sets a nice idyllic feeling of relaxation when I initially checked in at around 2pm. However, after getting a room I was shocked to be provided with Towels, and A/C control and TV remote which I had to return upon checkout.. Felt like being treated like a college student given the basic room amenities, which had to be returned upon clearence...

After settling into the nice cosy bungalow-type room, we went to the restraunt to get seated, only to be hushed away by a waitress who portested that she was still setting the tables for dinner.. It was 3pm so I explained that i wanted to order some late lunch; but to my surprise was told all the cooks had gone and return on 5:30pm to prepare dinner; which consequently ruled out room service.
Luckily I hired a car so went into town for food instead.. I returned at 9:30pm and attempted to order dinner or at least have a quiet drink in the bar, but was turned away a 2nd time!! This time i found out that all services cease at 9pm.. I found it humourous and frustrating at the same time...
Tired driving out after 10pm... and was advised by the security at the Gate that the gates were to be closed at 10:30pm and that we needed to be back by then.. I was shocked by the inconvenience and disconcern the management was imposing on the paying guests... Was totally disgraceful !!

When I was about to checkout in the morning i returned the A/C control and was asked by the receptionist for the towels.. I popped my whistle and gave her an earfull; however, i stopped when I realised that they were in totally agreeance with me and were simply excecutiing these ridiculous rules by the Canadian Management...

I advised the receptionist that I hated the service and I would not be returning to stay at Jais Aben and they need to change the managment if they are serious about keeping customers...

Oh last thing.. the 10min drive from the Main Highway to the Resort is dilapitated, with huge craters.. Be prepared for a bumpy ride from the start !!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NobleRigman
Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights/3 days. I wish I had the first review from a couple of weeks a go. The view is beautiful with tropical islands in the distance and safe water to snorkel in. We rang to book and were told there were no deluxe bungalows available. When we arrived, most of them were free. Not too bad but no towels and shower water pressure was no there but thats life. The issue is they try and keep you captive with their transport arrangememts. K15 each to go to town - a rip off anyway. But if you want to go into Madang and look around and decide where you want to eat you must book with the resort to return by 5.00pm for a return no later than 6.30 otherwise to return after that time is K60 each. What a disgrace! K120 for 2 of us (they generously decided not to charge for our 10yo) to go 20km one way! I ended up ring a security firm (Paragon Security) who gave us a lift back at our convenience for K30 for all 3 of us.
At the resort, the menu is one price - K50 for adults for dinner for very ordinary buffet meals. They hold you captive with their transport arrangements and then shaft you on meal prices. There is nothing about the place to justify these prices and the transport costs are to dissuade you from eating elsewhere. They tried to tell us there were no PMV's or taxis that went out that way. Nonsense.
The staff are complaining about the new Canadian owners who have raised he prices of everything and they want it to go back to the way it was. They have a nice bar near a beach that they used to cook bbq meals at but that has stopped - must order from the lunch menu at the restaurant - choice of 2 burgers, each at K24. Again, very poor value for money. Though the burgers tasted nice.
Oh - and dont lose your key. Our daughter was tired so she went to bed and locked the door. An hour later and after bashing on the door for 15 minutes I could not wake her. Down to reception and they advised they had no key at all and I should just bash louder. Another 15 minutes and that worked.

A nice place that has been spoiled by sheer greed.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Transport rip off
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank plbk4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madang
Madang Resort Hotel
Kokopo Beach Bungalow Resort
Kokopo Beach Bungalow Resort
#3 of 7 in New Britain Island
Walindi Plantation Resort

Been to Jais Aben Resort? Share your experiences!