“Update on diving and resort facilities”

Madang Resort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Madang
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Diving is in mostly sheltered waters 5-10 minutes boat ride from the marina at Kranget, Pig, Wongat Islands. Currents are experienced mostly at Planet Rock. Because of the sheltered conditions, Madang is good for beginners and those who prefer hassle free diving. The bigger boat is comfortable for up to 5 divers; banana boat is used for up to 2 divers. The reefscape is mostly dominated by hard corals but there are signs of coral bleaching indicating that corals are stressed. The greatest extent of bleaching was observed in Magic Passage. Best dive for me is Barracuda Point with swirling shoals of 2 varieties of barracudas and silver/black trevallies. Surprisingly, there was a scarcity of sharks compared to Tufi. I wander if they have been fished out for the shark fin market. I saw baby white tipped sharks and 1 gray reef shark. Henry Leith and B25 wrecks are also good sites especially for macro shots for soft corals. In your stay, I would recommend 8 dives as most of the dive sites are very similar around the island groups. 2 boat dives cost 270 K. They do not go to sites like the Quarry or Boston on the Northern coast.
Resort rooms feature Australian Tv networks (but no Channel 10), HBO, NatGeo, Discovery and other satellite channels. A note of caution is that the water supply stopped in the middle of the nights for a few nights when I was there which means that the flush would not work at night. Not many mosquitoes encountered here unlike the resort at Tufi. The compounds are beautifully landscaped. Reception and housekeeping staff are good. Only experienced inadequate, slow service with SOME of the restaurant staff. Also note that the Haus Win restaurant is building an upper floor and watch out for the dust particles that drop from above on your plates/food and they look like black ground pepper. Because the saltwater pool is next to the Haus Win restaurant, it was difficult to relax with the construction noise and occasionally unsavoury swear words used by the workers. I like the variety of fresh fruits for the breakfast menu but the sausages/mushrooms are from cans and taste funny when fried/sauteed. The path leading down to the Kalibobo lagoon is damaged, needs to be repaired in order to swim in the lagoon. Clients at the resort are mostly there for conferences or big Japanese group so it is advisable to have your dinner at 6 30 pm or you will experience long waiting times.
Guests are picked up at no charges at Madang Airport, but the driver almost left without me when I was last to pick my luggage. The resort should ensure that driver leaves the airport only when it becomes clear that all arriving passengers have been accounted for. I do not recommend walking to the town on your own. I did not feel safe when I walked out of the resort towards the lighthouse.

Room Tip: Stay for longer time and get an upgrade.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

We are always pleased to receive reviews however in this case explanations are required.
Diving: We are always happy to undertake extended diving to offshore islands or more remote locations but when individuals require extended or live aboard diving the costs are proportionally more expensive. Obviously the most economic diving for individuals is closer to the resort and I as the guest states, the diving he or she did was within 5-10 minutes, very few other places in the world could offer diving in such close proximity to a hotel/resort. Madang Resort has six dive boats including two live aboard including the luxurious Kalibobo Spirit a 30m motor yacht that offers diving anywhere in PNG, but it is expensive for an individual.
In regard to the hotel, the writer may not have had his TV tuned, we have 21 channels including video text information channel. HBO, Nat Geo, Discovery, CNN, BBC, Channel 7, Channel 9, ABC 1 & 2, SBS 1 & 2, Hallmark Movies, Cinemax, DW, Australian TV, Aljazeera and more are all available from our own Satellite system.
PNG is a developing 3rd World Country, whilst major advances have occurred in the past 35 years, some utility services fail and in view of this the Madang Resort has back up services including power and water. When the occasional outages occurs, we change over to our own system, water and power shortage rarely exceed 30 minutes.
The Madang Resort is continually improving our facilities and services. The Haus Win is being entirely rebuilt and an apology is given to all guests. Due to the superb location of the Haus Win beside the waterfront, we continue to use this restaurant during the construction stage. WHen the second floor is complete, we will relocate the restaurant whilst the existing restaurant is rebuilt. In the event that we need to relocate, the air conditioned Janek Aben Restaurant is used in the meantime for the next couple of months we ask for our guests understanding.
Most of our guests are not delegates to conferences, admittedly we have a number of conferences as it is the most popular conference venue in PNG but more than 60% of our guests are either business travellers or tourists from Japan, Australia, Europe and North America and more recently from China.
I trust this responds to some of the matters raised in the review.
Sir Peter Barter, Managing Director

Reviewed 24 May 2011

The resort is old an run down. My room was dirty, tiny and the bathroom was infested by ants. The air conditioner broke down on the last night of my stay.
The staff are friendly but useless, struggling with the most basic of requests.
The food at the hotel is below average and not cheap.
Other advertised facilites, including wi-fi, tennis courts, three pools; are non-existent.
Madang is a dump. Why would anybody visit here? It's not cheap, there's no facilities and forget about walking around town, especially at night. Admittedly, I wasn't in Madang to go diving, which seems to be the popular holiday past-time, but surely there are better places in the Pacific/SE Asia to go diving.
Take my word for it; avoid!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank BarnsburyBlake
Madang, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2011

The writer under the name of Blake from Perth is not registered in the system of the Madang Resort and I suspect he never stayed at the Madang Resort. One example of this can be seen where he states there is no Tennis Court, he also says there are not 4 pools - if he stayed at the Madang Resort he could not miss the tennis court or for that matter the four swimming pools. The writer then refers to staff are useless and other derogatory remarks which are quite inconsistent with the comments made by our guests.
Despite numerous attempts to locate a guest of this name in 2011, we have not been successful. If the guest exists he could well have stayed at another Madang Hotel, but certainly not at the Madang Resort which brings to mind the legal consequences of making reviews that are damaging not only to the Madang Resort but to the image of Madang which is considered to be one of the most beuaitful and safest destinations in PNG and the Pacific.
Chief, Sir Peter Barter, Managing Director, MTS Limited.

Reviewed 6 February 2011

We recently stayed here with our extended family (13 of us) before and after boarding and chartering the "Kalibobo Spirit" Motor Vessel.
We had the Executive Waterfront suites which have a great view over the ocean. The hotel is nice enough and very safe. The people of PNG are just fantastic and the service was very good.
The restaurant was very nice with wonderful service.
If you have the chance to go on the Kalibobo Spririt then it is well worth it. A fantastic boat with a wonderful crew that took us to very remote islands and showed us some great beaches and scenery.
A wonderful experience for our whole family and really a once in a lifetime trip.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2011

Loved every minute of my stay at Madang Hotel Resort. The location on Madang Harbour is stunningly beautiful and the people are incredibly helpful and friendly. We went on many varied and interesting tours every day and found we could have stayed much longer than our 5 days. The villages we visited were beautiful and the people extremely welcoming. The snorkeling was the best I have ever done anywhere - the coral and fish were amazing. The jungle walks were brilliant - walking through the cave was great fun and swimming in the cool waterhole was out of this world !!! We had several swims in the gorgeous swimming pool. Cannot wait till our next visit....

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2010

I just returned back from a week stay at Madang Resort and was blown away by my amazing experience !!!! Despite all the negative comments prior to us visiting PNG about safety etc we felt secure at all times whilst in Madang, of course you just need to use common sense to get you by ! I would say its a spot for a wonderful cultural experience and relaxing time away !

All of the staff were wonderful , friendly and warm and would go out of their way to help with anything big or small ! I could not commend them more for the fabulous service we received whilst at the resort !
Busybee & Wesley were our tour guides who took us out on many day trip to local villages , schools, caves , highlands areas and many more interesting places ! They were absolutely fantastic tour guides and very knowledgable- some of the best guides I have experienced throughout my travels worldwide and they made us feel more than welcome ! The food at the resort was of high standard and very reasonably priced with a great with a fantastic variety for all tastebuds!
The resorts grounds are immaculate and a real tropical paradise within itself.
We stayed in a waterfront bungalow which is definately the pick of the bunch - great spot sitting on our overwater deck with a sunrise /sunset - Stunning !
I will be going out of my way to suggest the Madang Resort , as I said it was truly an unfortgettable experience ! Madang is a great spot for travellers who want a wonderful experience of a lifetime !

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank AliCairns
Reviewed 16 October 2010

So I was in Madang for a conference but this should not stop you from enjoying the trip. Madang is amazing and the hotel takes very good care of you. I had a great time at the resort and enjoyed staying here. It is beautiful and the staff are helpful.

Food was good - not great but there is a choice and range for lunch and dinner. People are well trained and helpful. I was in the resort part of the hotel and had a lovely room. The views around the resort are amazing and I wish I had the time to go diving and ejoy myself as a colleague had done.

Easily recommend the place to any visitor and for a meeting. Take a trip/dinner to the nearby islands - great stuff.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2010

The Madang Resort is located in a perfect area with the most beautiful surrounding Environment...such a relaxing place to be especially..The view of the sea is perfect..etc

The only thing i found frustrating about the resort was the POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE from especially the front desk and that most of the staff had no idea of their products.. it was like every question we asked about the Resort etc.. we'd get the same answer that either they weren't sure or they dint know

First day we arrived we got our bath towels at 11pm which was a long wait.We actually had to ring and ask for the towels and mind you there were no floor mats/hand towels as well. Then on the 2nd day Madang had showers of blessing so after checking that defiantly there were no umbrellas in the cupboard we called the reception for umbrellas and the guy immediately responds ''didn't you check the cupboard'' ...Well obviously we did check the cupboard that's why we called.

On the last day we argued with the guys at the reception only because they couldn't figure out the definition of ''Land Content Cost'' too make matters worse they didn't even have a copy of their tour packages so the guy was pretty much talking all over the place.

Anyway I must say excellent service by Titus and Timothy and all the Resort Bus Drive.

I would recommend the Front Desk staff pull up their customer service

I have lived in Madang before and must say that the service has dropped from Excellent to very poor..Apart from that the Resort its self is A1

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madang
Kalibobo Village
Hotel Morobe
Hotel Morobe
#4 of 6 in Lae
Madang Star International Hotel

Been to Madang Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!