“Work stop over” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Madang
Brisbane, Australia
“Work stop over”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I have stayed in the Madang resort now on 4 separate occasions and thought is was time to share my experience.
Firstly and most importantly, Madang is not the sort of place the average person would normally visit as a holiday destination. However if you like to mix some day time leisure activities like snorkelling and diving combined with a casual "chill session" around the pool, the resort has a lot to offer. The staff there are nothing short of fantastic. I have stayed in 3 types of rooms and feel the waterfront rooms offer the best experience, however the price is reflective of what you receive. The day activities are well managed, I did some snorkelling off one of the islands and found it equal to some of the reefs I have seen in Vanuatu.
The rooms are well maintained but showing their age somewhat (due mainly to the environment) and it's the little things that let them down slightly.

Room Tip: Water front rooms are great and offer some privacy and great views of the harbour.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Than you for taking time to write a review, much appreciated! As you can imagine maintenance of any large property on the waterfront receives damaging salt spray which dictates constant maintenance - we constantly are faced with routine maintenance in all rooms but especially the waterfront rooms closest to the sea - despite this, I think we do a fairly good job, this year we have refurbished all executive rooms, new furniture from Pacific Green in Fiji, new bedding, new 42" TV and sideboards and all rooms have currently being repainted. It would help if we knew which room you stayed in so I can make a personal check as it is difficult for me personally to check all 186 rooms and 20 cottages.
We look forward to you revisiting us again in the near future.
Kind regards
Sir Peter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Dongara, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

We stayed here April 2012, just read all the reviews, and would love to leave a positive comment. This Resort was here 35 years ago, as I spent many days swimming in the pool as a kid. It was a beautiful resort then, and I must say it is more beautiful now. The rooms we had over the water were lovely, 5 star, serviced every day, loved the fresh local flower on our bed. The adjoining room was great as there was myself, my husband and a friend. Sitting on the balcony, having a sun-downer watching the world go by. The restaurant for breakfast was lovely, breakfast was beautiful, and you were most likely to run into the hotel manager as well if you had any queries, but was always greeted with a "Good Morning" and a friendly smile, thankyou!!.Security was 24hr, which made us feel safe. We had a fantastic tour guide "Busy Bee" and that is his real name. As I grew up in Madang I had a few places I needed to see, like my old home, my school, my father's work place, and some local villages, and Busy escorted us everywhere for a few days, he is amazing, thankyou so much Busy. Also the local girls on the inside of the resort gates, selling souveniers were beautiful. They welcomed me with open arms, made some amazing beaded jewellery. I would sit with them every day and practice the local language of Pigin English, which I hadn't spoken for so many years, laugh with them, eat with them, and play Hop Scotch, the New Guinean way as we did when we were young girls. Thankyou girls. The gardens were beautifully looked after, the Orchids were stunning. So overall I would like to thank Madang Resort and all the Staff for making our holiday in Madang for 10 days, an amazing, memorable blast from the past holiday, which has given me the satisfaction of why I have always been in love with MADANG!!!!!!

Room Tip: Adjoining rooms on the sea are the best!!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Like you, I was here 35 years ago, in fact more than 40 years ago, we took over the old Hotel Madang in 1976 and the rest is history. The Madang Resort has always been the heart of Madang, we have had some ups and downs but no one can dispute the Resort has become an institution and one of the iconic hotels in the Pacific. 35 years ago, we had 20 odd rooms, today we have 180 plus more than 20 cottages and 40 staff houses and apartments with a staff of over 150 - whilst we have plenty of accommodation, heaps of facilities including the best conference rooms in PNG we are faced with a decline in tourism due to unreliable air services and the absence of direct flights between Madang and Cairns.
We are also luck to have such friendly staff, when I travel around PNG and elsewhere I have yet to find more genuinely contented staff that want to please every guest and welcome them as though it was their hotel, it displays PNG as its best and I am very proud of them.
We hope it is not another 35 years before you visit us again?
(I assume you were here in April 2013 not April 2012?)
Sir Peter Barter
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

About 20 minutes drive from Madang Airport. They have just (2012) completely renovated the downstairs restaurant and added a beautiful restaurant upstairs. You can hire scuba diving gear and go diving of the reef, laze by the pool with great food and drinks, go for a stroll down to the lagoon or enjoy a game of tennis. There is a super luxury yacht for hire too if you want to splash out!!! Food is excellent whether for dinner, lunch or brekky at the resort and the views are great. PNG at its best!!!

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room or one of the new ones adjacent to the pool,
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your positive review on the Madang Resort and Madang. It was a pleasure having you at the Resort and we look forward to your next visit.
We also had a very good Kalibobo Open Day on Jun 10 when 4000 people visited the resort, took guided tours through the property, culminating in the official opening of the Haus Win Restaurant and Kalibobo Haus Kibung and in the evening, the Madang City Mission was launched which raised K2m in cash and kind - a remarkable effort in such a small town.
Again, thank you for your review.
Kiama, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

This was my second visit to the resort and I can say equally enjoyable. I missed the amazing orchid display but I am sure this would have been the same had this visit been in Sept/Oct.
The standard and cleanliness of rooms and condition of the grounds was first class, The friendly and helpful staff could not do enough for our group of 9 particularly in reception and the restaurant.The pool and surrounds were most appealing.
My wife and I would recommend the Resort and Madang in general to anyone seeking a relaxing and rewarding experience in a neighbouring country which offers something quite different from mainstream Australia..
We found resort owner Sir Peter Barter a most amicable and generous host.
We are looking forward to another visit in the future.

Room Tip: For a duration of 7-10 days a room in close proximity to the pool and restaurant and preferably wate...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Noel E
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Many thanks for your review. All responses received are circulated to our staff and if and when there is a recommendation, we act immediately. Our reputation is very important, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and sorry that some of our many orchids were not out during your visit having said that the 'Morobe Shower" are now in full blossom, so to is the flame of the forest (d'albertis creeper) which are quite spectacular at the entrance of the Resort.
This weekend we have an OPEN DAY on Monday, for the first time we are opening the property to the public and expect many thousands of people to spend the day in the grounds, see sing sings, bamboo bands, cultural displays, chain saw demonstrations, meet various organisations, companies at a mini trade fair and in the evening the former Prime Minister, Grand Chief Sir Michael Somare will officially open the new Haus Kibung and Haus Win Restaurant.
Since you left we have completed the Sageng Aben (Forum Park) and a new Haus Kaving which has replaced the old Sepik Haus Tambaran at the gate which enables craftsmen and women to display their artefacts, handicraft - we hope you can return again in the future to see these new facilities and attractions.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

I stayed at the Madang resort early this year as a weekend break while visiting family in Lae. Could have spent all day just sitting on the balcony watching the world go by on the harbour. Resort grounds were just beautiful, the garden team are to be congratulated. The orchids were divine! Service was helpful, always with a smile. We found the rooms and the resort clean and well presented. I would recommend staying here if you are in Madang.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Madang Resort. We look forward to your return visit in the near future.
Kiama, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

We recently stayed a week here and found the rooms, grounds, restaurants, pool area very clean and well presented. In addition the staff were courteous, friendly and very helpful. We found Madang in general a very enjoyable place and in particular the people of Madang very warm & friendly. We felt quite safe during the day provided we moved around in groups of 2 or more. Need to move around in vehicles of an evening though. There is plenty to do in Madang, all of which can be arranged through the Resort reception. The resort shop had limited hours of operation whereby it closed at 4.00pm each day, which restricted the opportunity to buy things.

Room Tip: Try to get a room over the water
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review. You review has been circulated to the staff. I note that you have ticked all categories with 4 stars. I would have thought there would be some variation - I am aware the staff really went to extraordinary lengths to satisfy you group and indeed this was conveyed to me personally prior to your departure. In regard to the closure of the gift shop at 4pm, yes we may have to review the hours of operation to open at 10am and close at 6.3opm - there has been a low volume of visitors and Management reduced the hours over the past month.
We look forward to having you return in the future
Camberwell, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

I stayed at the Madang resort for a month while in Madang for business. What a beautiful place to stay! The units are surrounded by beautiful tropical gardens that contain wonderful orchids as well as so many of the other local tropical plants and trees. The unit was spacious and nicely decorated with some local artefacts adding ambience to the PNG experience. The veranda jutted out over the waterfront and the ships, large and small, came past as they headed to the port, providing interesting entertainment.

The staff looked after me like my mother would have, cheerfully and professionally responding to any requests for assistance or food. The tourist office of the hotel has amazing ocean and jungle activities that are not to be missed. And the staff on these trips were very generous with both their time and local knowledge. What a wonderful place to stay in the Madang! Thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: Rooms on the waterfront are novel and have a great view. There is a pool with spa which looked invit...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Henk B
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review of your stay over the past month. It was a privilege for us to have you stay at Madang Resort and your review will be made available to all the staff whom I am sure will appreciate your positive comments about the Resort, services and staff.
Yesterday, we received notification from Tripadvisor that the Madang Resort was winner of the 2013 Excellence Certificate. We were further thrilled that Tropical Heritage Cairns and Cairns Sheridan Hotel received similar awards from Tripadvisor indicating that we are doing some things right to satisfy our guests - I have spent a lifetime in the hospitality industry broken by a decade or so in politics, I have committed myself to development of the tourist industry as the potential PNG has to offer is tremendous and my hope is that we can begin to improve the image of PNG as a tourist destination and provide mores business and job opportunities to Papua New Guineans rather than simply rely on the natural resource industry. Unlike gas, oil, copper, gold, nickel the tourist industry is a renewable resource!
Again, thank you for your review, and thank all those people who have given the Madang Resort many positive reviews.
Sir Peter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madang
Madang Lodge Hotel
Madang Star International Hotel
Liamo Reef Resort
Liamo Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in Kimbe

Been to Madang Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!