“Beautiful Madang”

Madang Resort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Madang
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I have never stayed as a guest in Madang Resort but I am living in Madang few kms. away from this resort and eversince we have moved in Madang since February of this year, The Resort has been part of our weekends. We really love to dine and stroll around Madang Resort. They have friendly staffs, Security is very good. There is a good showcase of local artworks and a mini zoo with locally thriving birds and lemurs. The Victoria crowned pigeon is simply amazing. The owner Sir Peter Barter is really a great guy, very friendly and always gives warm welcome.to the guests and oh he is great on the keyboards. Madang Resort is the summary of Beautiful Madang.

• Stayed: February 2013
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Thank you for taking time to write a review, it is all the more interesting to receive reviews from Madang residents as they would be aware of the time it has taken to build what is considered to the the finest resort in PNG.
What is more important to me is that the Madang Resort has largely become the heart of Madang, I am very proud of the role it has taken with various projects that benefit the community along with the support we receive from the community.
One of these current projects is the restoration of the Haus Tumbuna (Museum), the Nicholay Mikloucho=Maclay Memorial at Garagassi Point which is about ready to fall into the sea unless we construct a seawall, Other projects nclude the maintenance of the Dental Ward at Modilon Hospital, raising of funds for X Ray Macine for Gaubin Hospital, re-roofing of the Gaubin Hospital - all these projects have been initiated by the Melanesian Foundation and there are many more!
Again, thank you for your kind remarks.

There are newer reviews for Madang Resort Hotel

Reviewed 26 June 2013

i had a priviledge to spend 8 nights in Madang Resort in May this year and the environment itself made me feel at home. all the employees are very friendly even Sir Peter himself provides assures all the guest which made me want to leave in Madang particularly in the resort. the rooms and other facilities are the BEST i have ever seen from the other places (provinces) hotels ( that i had been too. the sea veiw from the kalibobo hauswin is so spectacular it is suely a trip i will never forget coz the place is a true PARADISE!

to all the management and staffs, please keep the good work and maintain the standards.

Sir Peter, thank you for your kind hospitality, its william hia...
i will never forget this trip, what an experiance!!!
wilz65

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

William
Thank you for taking time to write a review. We really appreciate comments from our Papua New Guinea guests the staff and management are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay at the Madang Resort and look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

I stayed at the Madang Resort Hotel for six nights this June on vacation. The resort grounds were absolutely beautiful and the birds and flowers on the grounds are amazing. The salt water pool was fantastic and the rooms were clean and comfortable. We found the prices for food at the restaurants expensive, but the food was tasty.

I highly recommend a tour with Busy Bee - we did two full day tours (WWII sites and the village tour with singsing) and Busy Bee is an excellent guide with great local knowledge.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2013

Thank you for for your response. I very much appreciate all reviews which enable us to fine tune the smaller details which have earned us the respect from so many of our guests. We look forward to you visiting us again in the near future.
Sir Peter Barter

Reviewed 21 June 2013

As an Australian Rotarian I have visited this wonderful Resort several times on stop overs to or from other PNG destinations. In May 2013 along with 8 fellow Rotarians we were fortunate enough to spend 9 wonderful days in this resort whilst attending to Rotary work in this area. Sir Peter Barter also a Rotarian ensured we had wonderful rooms of the highest standard and greatly discounted these rooms as he usually does for fellow Rotarians, I may add he personally checked daily on our well being. Having travelled extensively world wide I am always delighted to stay in this resort. The food, service and helpfulness of everyone within this resort is always of a high standard. The activities within and around this resort are great. Very well recommended to any visitors to this region of PNG.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a room on the 2nd row back from the Harbour, it had great views split level bedrooms dow...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay in Madang along with the other visiting Rotarians. We always try and help those organisations that assist in delivering services to the people which include the mainline churches, some NGO's and service clubs such as Rotary. We look forward to your returning in the near future.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

I have been traveling to Madang for five years and have almost always stayed at the Madang Resort. I feel very much at home at the resort as I know many of the staff by name and they make a point of remembering my name and are attentive to my needs. As I am often in the field for work I find it a real treat to un-wind at the Resort. The wonderful pool, comfortable rooms, good food and pleasant service keep me coming back.

On a recent trip Sir Peter Barter, the Madang Resort owner shouted my colleagues and myself to a four hour boat trip around Madang harbour - the harbour contains many small islands mostly inhabited with locals who go about their daily business in a relaxed manner. Our bost trip culminated in us snorkling on the leeward side of a small island in beautiful warm tropical waters.

I can totally recommend the Madang Resort as great value for money and will be a highlight of your trip to PNG. There is absolutely no security concerns and there is plnety to do in the resort to keep you occuiped.

Room Tip: I like the water front rooms but the standard rooms are also fine
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Peter
Thankyu for the review. I am pleased we continue to satisfy you and your colleagues. I am pleased yu remark about security during visit as many people are deterred by media reports that are not always factual, I also appreciate mention of harbor cruise which is just one of the many activities available, in addition to cruising we offer tours, diving, game fishing, extended cruises aboard the Kalibobo Spirit to Sepik River and Trobriand Islands, there is a tennis court, jogging track, 4 pools and 2 lagoons not least the largest conference centre in Madang.
Thankyu again for such a positive review, we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

I have stayed in the Madang resort now on 4 separate occasions and thought is was time to share my experience.
Firstly and most importantly, Madang is not the sort of place the average person would normally visit as a holiday destination. However if you like to mix some day time leisure activities like snorkelling and diving combined with a casual "chill session" around the pool, the resort has a lot to offer. The staff there are nothing short of fantastic. I have stayed in 3 types of rooms and feel the waterfront rooms offer the best experience, however the price is reflective of what you receive. The day activities are well managed, I did some snorkelling off one of the islands and found it equal to some of the reefs I have seen in Vanuatu.
The rooms are well maintained but showing their age somewhat (due mainly to the environment) and it's the little things that let them down slightly.

Room Tip: Water front rooms are great and offer some privacy and great views of the harbour.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Than you for taking time to write a review, much appreciated! As you can imagine maintenance of any large property on the waterfront receives damaging salt spray which dictates constant maintenance - we constantly are faced with routine maintenance in all rooms but especially the waterfront rooms closest to the sea - despite this, I think we do a fairly good job, this year we have refurbished all executive rooms, new furniture from Pacific Green in Fiji, new bedding, new 42" TV and sideboards and all rooms have currently being repainted. It would help if we knew which room you stayed in so I can make a personal check as it is difficult for me personally to check all 186 rooms and 20 cottages.
We look forward to you revisiting us again in the near future.
Kind regards

Reviewed 14 June 2013

We stayed here April 2012, just read all the reviews, and would love to leave a positive comment. This Resort was here 35 years ago, as I spent many days swimming in the pool as a kid. It was a beautiful resort then, and I must say it is more beautiful now. The rooms we had over the water were lovely, 5 star, serviced every day, loved the fresh local flower on our bed. The adjoining room was great as there was myself, my husband and a friend. Sitting on the balcony, having a sun-downer watching the world go by. The restaurant for breakfast was lovely, breakfast was beautiful, and you were most likely to run into the hotel manager as well if you had any queries, but was always greeted with a "Good Morning" and a friendly smile, thankyou!!.Security was 24hr, which made us feel safe. We had a fantastic tour guide "Busy Bee" and that is his real name. As I grew up in Madang I had a few places I needed to see, like my old home, my school, my father's work place, and some local villages, and Busy escorted us everywhere for a few days, he is amazing, thankyou so much Busy. Also the local girls on the inside of the resort gates, selling souveniers were beautiful. They welcomed me with open arms, made some amazing beaded jewellery. I would sit with them every day and practice the local language of Pigin English, which I hadn't spoken for so many years, laugh with them, eat with them, and play Hop Scotch, the New Guinean way as we did when we were young girls. Thankyou girls. The gardens were beautifully looked after, the Orchids were stunning. So overall I would like to thank Madang Resort and all the Staff for making our holiday in Madang for 10 days, an amazing, memorable blast from the past holiday, which has given me the satisfaction of why I have always been in love with MADANG!!!!!!

Room Tip: Adjoining rooms on the sea are the best!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Like you, I was here 35 years ago, in fact more than 40 years ago, we took over the old Hotel Madang in 1976 and the rest is history. The Madang Resort has always been the heart of Madang, we have had some ups and downs but no one can dispute the Resort has become an institution and one of the iconic hotels in the Pacific. 35 years ago, we had 20 odd rooms, today we have 180 plus more than 20 cottages and 40 staff houses and apartments with a staff of over 150 - whilst we have plenty of accommodation, heaps of facilities including the best conference rooms in PNG we are faced with a decline in tourism due to unreliable air services and the absence of direct flights between Madang and Cairns.
We are also luck to have such friendly staff, when I travel around PNG and elsewhere I have yet to find more genuinely contented staff that want to please every guest and welcome them as though it was their hotel, it displays PNG as its best and I am very proud of them.
We hope it is not another 35 years before you visit us again?
(I assume you were here in April 2013 not April 2012?)
Sir Peter Barter

Also consider these accommodations in or near Madang
Kalibobo Village
Seeadler Bay Hotel
Seeadler Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lorengau
Madang Star International Hotel

Been to Madang Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!