Madang Resort Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmadang resorthaus winsir peterdive shopfishbeautiful locationpapua new guineaharbour entranceconference facilitiesscuba divingsalt waterwaterfront roomrelaxing staygreat rooma real treatlocal villagevillage tour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I spent 2 days here on business and really enjoyed my stay. I arrived early in the morning and my room was available on checkin. Juice, fresh fruit and a free room upgrade greeted me. The front desk staff were efficient and friendly and check in was a breeze. Breakfast was included with the room and was very good. The facilities were excellent, I enjoyed the pool and restaurant. I ate all my meals in the restaurant and they were extremely good. The service was good and the delivery to the table was prompt. Swimming in the olympic size pool was great and sitting outside with drinks service was really nice.

The free shuttle to/from the airport was flawless and I had to take a trip to DHL to ship a large package, the concierge organised quick transport for me for free. The hotel wifi worked really well and was quite dependable and reasonably priced. The rooms were clean, beds comfortable with fridge and tea/coffee.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at Madang Beach Resort, everything worked well and the staff was always very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

It is great to receive good reviews, it makes our job all the more rewarding as the bottom line is not so much as making profit, but satisfying guests visiting Madang and of course staying with us at the Madang Resort. We take a great deal of pride in owning the oldest hotel in PNG and upgrading the hotel to a resort standard. our aim is not just to provide good accommodation and meals but to also provide facilities to allow our guests to enjoy their visit regardless if it is visiting villages, meeting the people, kayaking, sailing, diving, snorkelling or taking a cruise aboard the Company's Luxury motor yacht up the Sepik River or to the many islands off shore.
We hope you return in the near future.
Sir Peter

Reviewed 10 July 2014

So very close to paradise. World class.

A short business trip to Madang saw me booked in for two nights at the Madang Beach Resort. This is the best hotel that I have stayed in PNG and I have stayed at quite a few! This is especially so for provincial PNG where expectations should generally not be as high as in upper end hotels in Port Moresby and certainly overseas.

On arrival our early morning check-in was prompt and efficient. Due to the early arrival we were informed that our rooms would not be ready for another hour. One hour later they were ready. That’s really appreciated as it enabled us to unpack and then continue on with our business during the day knowing our things were in our rooms.

The rooms we reserved were right on the water’s edge. The balcony literally jutted out over the water and overlooked the harbour entrance and surrounding islands. A tropical paradise. The room itself was of a good size, very clean and with a comfortable bed. A large flat screen TV with numerous cable TV channels including CNN (I am a CNN junkie!). Separate bathroom and toilet with coffee/tea making facilities were included.

The resort is set amongst some of the most immaculate tropical gardens I have ever seen with wild birds wandering around, not a leaf seemingly out of place. Just stunning.

I ate all meals in the hotel. The Haus Win restaurant is extremely good with great service and presentation, live background music in the evenings and a really nice tropical resort feel.
The food itself was brilliant. An awesome burger for lunch on the first day. Some of the best barramundi (coconut crusted) I have ever eaten that night. The buffet breakfast included with the room charge was a great way to start the day. Fish patties and chips for lunch on the second day were also really very good. All meals were accompanied by very fresh salad or vegetables.

The only letdown was the dinner on our second day but I would not lower my rating because of it. So many other great things made up for it.
Because of the “State of Origin” Rugby being played that night I believe that a BBQ dinner was utilised in lieu of the usual menu. That was a shame in itself as there were several dishes on the menu that I really wanted to try. Not to worry, a BBQ steak would be fine. The steak was unfortunately very tough to the point of being inedible. A second attempt was not much better and well undercooked. I eat steak medium. The situation was handled well by the duty manager and I am sure this is an aberration on otherwise a very fine restaurant.

In summary it’s a great place to stay, most certainly world class. Usually when I travel around PNG provinces I am happy to leave and go back to my very comfortable Port Moresby apartment. I could have stayed a lot longer here. Looking forward to my next trip to Madang now!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MrAustralasia

Thank you for taking time to send your review. Obviously was are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to you returning in the near future - tell your friends!
Regards
Sir Peter

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We have stayed here on a few occasions over last 15 years. Hotel has had a major refurbishment and the facilities are quite good. The food at the restaurant was slow in coming and service anywhere tends to be friendly, but slow.

Expensive, but everywhere in PNG tends to be expensive.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking time to post a review. We take reviews very seriously and take action wherever necessary. We also have the right to respond honestly and whilst our service is sometimes slow, in PNG our patrons in the restaurant rarely book a table in advance and on occasions we have to make a guess on how many people will be dining. This makes it difficult for us to roster staff on both the kitchen and dining room and during July our occupancy has been very high and we have had to deal with patrons arriving in large numbers which places a great strain on the staff to provide good service and I feel that the staff really do their best to meet these peaks. In Australia if large groups appear in a restaurant unannounced it is likely to be would be turned away because the 'unions' stipulate how many patrons can be served - we do not do this, our staff do what they can to do their best.
Having been in the hospitality industry for 50 years, owning and operating 8 hotels, cruise ships you get a feel about how you are satisfying guests and if you wish to investigate our Company and hotels have all been rated as #1 and #2 in Madang, they have received Excellence Awards from Trip Advisor for the past 3 years which indicates we deserve a little better than the 3 stars you have provided.
I hope you return in the near future, I would personally like to ensure that our service to you is improved.
Sir Peter Barter

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Our family holiday was a week at the Madang Resort. We took an 8 night package, which included breakfast, a full day village tour & 1/2 day snorkelling & use of the catamarans & sea kayaks. The staff are friendly and Casper & BusyBee were excellent drivers & guides. The young chef, Abraham, is enthusiastic & the meals delicious. Very easy to eat well & healthy with lots of fresh fish & vegetables. The Japanese diving instructor doubles as an okonomiyaki chef & we had a fun night. We had a relaxing time. My only disppointment was prior to our trip when MTS failed to respond to my request so we missed out on a highlands O/N stay. The grounds are beautiful & we had a great deal of enjoyment finding orchids & watching the Kokomo birds jump around. Rooms have fridge & tea & coffee facilities and comfy beds. Fiona Lowe

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Fiona L
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for your positive response, we are all very pleased you enjoyed your visit to Madang and the Madang Resort and look forward to a return visit in the near future. Sorry about the delay in responding to your first email.
Peter Barter

Reviewed 2 July 2014

During June 2014, I was one of a team working with archaeologist Professor Glenn Summerhayes and we were accommodated within the complex of the Madang Resort Hotel. We received wonderful assistance from Sir Peter Barter, owner of the hotel and his staff particularly Sibona Mani and the driver who called himself "Busy Bee." The food in the 'haus win' was great as were the views and the pool. An extra trip was taken to Long Island aboard the Kalibobo Spirit which can be hired. Banana boats took us to nearby islands. Madang is warm all year around and the Madang Resort Hotel is a great place to stay. Mary Mennis

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Thank yu for taking time to write a review. Positive reviews help to dispell the conception that Madang and PNG is dangerous placer to visit. We are also pleased you enjoyed your visit and it was productive and thank you for your effort in assisting Jane at gage Museum.
We look forward to your return visit in the near future.
Peter Barter