“Great stay”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Madang
Newcastle, Australia
“Great stay”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had one of the villas right on the water. Storm came in and the waves were actually breaking on our balcony and glass sliding door. It was great lol. Pool area needs some work but it was a great stay - food was good but we also ate out a bit.

Room Tip: Get a room over the water
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for your review, we note your comments about the pool and rough seas. Unfortunately we cannot control the weather and for just a few days during the SE season we occasionally get rough weather and ideally we should not allocate water front rooms that are subject to waves crashing against the seawall. We have again reminded staff of this in the hope that these rooms are not allocated in such weather conditions.
You maybe aware our 35m main pool is saltwater, it is kept fresh by rotating seawater 24 hours a day but when seas are rough it is not always possible to pump water and this was the case during your stay - we pride ourselves of having this pool the largest in PNG and normally the water is crystal clear without the use of chemicals.
Peter Barter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We had a redesign training in March this year and we had a blast. The hospitality and the environment was totally awesome for such an occasion. I recommend it 100%. So if your travelling to Madang for Business or pleasure please consider the Madang Resort Hotel for your stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for writing a review of the Madang Resort. As you have experienced it yourself, the Madang Resort is an ideal place for conferences, apart from 5 different conference rooms fully equipped and access to wifi we have 170 rooms and an ideal location making a perfect environment for meetings and after the meeting our facilities are the best in PNG with pools, marina, diving, cruising, snorkelling, tennis, golf just to name a few. Very soon we will be opening our new state of the art Gymnasium.
Thank you for your review, we hope to see you again in the near future.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at the report for 4 nights while on a business trip to Madang. I had only ever stayed in Port Moresby hotels in PNG until now and was pleasantly surprised at the resort. The staff were all friendly and efficient and I found both the check in and check out worked flawlessly. I got a seaside room. This is, in my opinion, both a blessing and a curse. The waves crash right against the foot of the balcony and since I am a light sleeper I did not get good rest while at the resort. The complementary breakfast is only available up until 9am so on the weekend we felt a bit rushed to get in before this time. The breakfast is simple and was the same selection each day. The rooms are large and the aircon worked well. The bathroom is dated but everything functioned correctly. The restaurant food was good but a little on the expensive side when compared to other restaurants in PNG. The light lunchtime snacks were good value. I was there purely for business so I didn't get to experience the other attractions eg diving the wreck , boat trip , fishing etc

Room Tip: Away from seaside if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Ross B
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thanks for your review. Sorry about weather during your stay, several of the waterfront rooms take a bashing from se winds which fortunately only cause rough seas for about 2 weeks each year, it was unfortunate your visit coincided with this weather. I might add that staff had been advised to relocate any guest disturbed by the sea to alternative rooms, I am not sure if this message was relayed to yu, any way I am sorry for weather beyond our control.
In regard to breakfast, it is FREE and primarily designed to suit our PNG guests who often miss breakfast because of expences and lack of travel allowance, yes it is limited however full a-la-carte menus is available upon request, but of course it is charged to rooms,
I will speak to the management to make sure this is made clearer to guests. I do not like being criticized when we offer FREE breakfast, we should be thanked.
We are pleased your overall stay was satisfactory and look forward to your return visit.
Kind regards and thanks
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I spent 2 days here on business and really enjoyed my stay. I arrived early in the morning and my room was available on checkin. Juice, fresh fruit and a free room upgrade greeted me. The front desk staff were efficient and friendly and check in was a breeze. Breakfast was included with the room and was very good. The facilities were excellent, I enjoyed the pool and restaurant. I ate all my meals in the restaurant and they were extremely good. The service was good and the delivery to the table was prompt. Swimming in the olympic size pool was great and sitting outside with drinks service was really nice.

The free shuttle to/from the airport was flawless and I had to take a trip to DHL to ship a large package, the concierge organised quick transport for me for free. The hotel wifi worked really well and was quite dependable and reasonably priced. The rooms were clean, beds comfortable with fridge and tea/coffee.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at Madang Beach Resort, everything worked well and the staff was always very helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
It is great to receive good reviews, it makes our job all the more rewarding as the bottom line is not so much as making profit, but satisfying guests visiting Madang and of course staying with us at the Madang Resort. We take a great deal of pride in owning the oldest hotel in PNG and upgrading the hotel to a resort standard. our aim is not just to provide good accommodation and meals but to also provide facilities to allow our guests to enjoy their visit regardless if it is visiting villages, meeting the people, kayaking, sailing, diving, snorkelling or taking a cruise aboard the Company's Luxury motor yacht up the Sepik River or to the many islands off shore.
We hope you return in the near future.
Perth Western Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2014

So very close to paradise. World class.

A short business trip to Madang saw me booked in for two nights at the Madang Beach Resort. This is the best hotel that I have stayed in PNG and I have stayed at quite a few! This is especially so for provincial PNG where expectations should generally not be as high as in upper end hotels in Port Moresby and certainly overseas.

On arrival our early morning check-in was prompt and efficient. Due to the early arrival we were informed that our rooms would not be ready for another hour. One hour later they were ready. That’s really appreciated as it enabled us to unpack and then continue on with our business during the day knowing our things were in our rooms.

The rooms we reserved were right on the water’s edge. The balcony literally jutted out over the water and overlooked the harbour entrance and surrounding islands. A tropical paradise. The room itself was of a good size, very clean and with a comfortable bed. A large flat screen TV with numerous cable TV channels including CNN (I am a CNN junkie!). Separate bathroom and toilet with coffee/tea making facilities were included.

The resort is set amongst some of the most immaculate tropical gardens I have ever seen with wild birds wandering around, not a leaf seemingly out of place. Just stunning.

I ate all meals in the hotel. The Haus Win restaurant is extremely good with great service and presentation, live background music in the evenings and a really nice tropical resort feel.
The food itself was brilliant. An awesome burger for lunch on the first day. Some of the best barramundi (coconut crusted) I have ever eaten that night. The buffet breakfast included with the room charge was a great way to start the day. Fish patties and chips for lunch on the second day were also really very good. All meals were accompanied by very fresh salad or vegetables.

The only letdown was the dinner on our second day but I would not lower my rating because of it. So many other great things made up for it.
Because of the “State of Origin” Rugby being played that night I believe that a BBQ dinner was utilised in lieu of the usual menu. That was a shame in itself as there were several dishes on the menu that I really wanted to try. Not to worry, a BBQ steak would be fine. The steak was unfortunately very tough to the point of being inedible. A second attempt was not much better and well undercooked. I eat steak medium. The situation was handled well by the duty manager and I am sure this is an aberration on otherwise a very fine restaurant.

In summary it’s a great place to stay, most certainly world class. Usually when I travel around PNG provinces I am happy to leave and go back to my very comfortable Port Moresby apartment. I could have stayed a lot longer here. Looking forward to my next trip to Madang now!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MrAustralasia
Thank you for taking time to send your review. Obviously was are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to you returning in the near future - tell your friends!
Regards
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We have stayed here on a few occasions over last 15 years. Hotel has had a major refurbishment and the facilities are quite good. The food at the restaurant was slow in coming and service anywhere tends to be friendly, but slow.

Expensive, but everywhere in PNG tends to be expensive.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking time to post a review. We take reviews very seriously and take action wherever necessary. We also have the right to respond honestly and whilst our service is sometimes slow, in PNG our patrons in the restaurant rarely book a table in advance and on occasions we have to make a guess on how many people will be dining. This makes it difficult for us to roster staff on both the kitchen and dining room and during July our occupancy has been very high and we have had to deal with patrons arriving in large numbers which places a great strain on the staff to provide good service and I feel that the staff really do their best to meet these peaks. In Australia if large groups appear in a restaurant unannounced it is likely to be would be turned away because the 'unions' stipulate how many patrons can be served - we do not do this, our staff do what they can to do their best.
Having been in the hospitality industry for 50 years, owning and operating 8 hotels, cruise ships you get a feel about how you are satisfying guests and if you wish to investigate our Company and hotels have all been rated as #1 and #2 in Madang, they have received Excellence Awards from Trip Advisor for the past 3 years which indicates we deserve a little better than the 3 stars you have provided.
I hope you return in the near future, I would personally like to ensure that our service to you is improved.
Sir Peter Barter
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Our family holiday was a week at the Madang Resort. We took an 8 night package, which included breakfast, a full day village tour & 1/2 day snorkelling & use of the catamarans & sea kayaks. The staff are friendly and Casper & BusyBee were excellent drivers & guides. The young chef, Abraham, is enthusiastic & the meals delicious. Very easy to eat well & healthy with lots of fresh fish & vegetables. The Japanese diving instructor doubles as an okonomiyaki chef & we had a fun night. We had a relaxing time. My only disppointment was prior to our trip when MTS failed to respond to my request so we missed out on a highlands O/N stay. The grounds are beautiful & we had a great deal of enjoyment finding orchids & watching the Kokomo birds jump around. Rooms have fridge & tea & coffee facilities and comfy beds. Fiona Lowe

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Fiona L
explorerCairns, Owner at Madang Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your positive response, we are all very pleased you enjoyed your visit to Madang and the Madang Resort and look forward to a return visit in the near future. Sorry about the delay in responding to your first email.
Peter Barter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madang
Kalibobo Village
Crossroads  Hotel
Crossroads Hotel
#4 of 6 in Lae
Madang Star International Hotel

Been to Madang Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!