“Perfect jungle retreat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Maldonado
Estancia Bello Horizonte
Reviewed 1 December 2011

They genuinely care about the environemnt in which they live. Guides are very knowledgable and most speak good english. All the staff are very friendly. Rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable, overlooks a large area of jungle - perfect for watching all the mackaws. Excursions are very good and the food we had whilst away from the lodge was lovely. The food was all locally sourced and amazing! Extremely good value for money and the money all goes to a charity for orphans!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skindog981

Reviewed 29 November 2011

Amazing jungle experience, since we had Freddy, our guide. We got to see a sloth(!!!), however Freddy advised us you get to see this animal only once in 2 months. Other wildlife seen: cayman, tarantula, lots of monkeys, toucan, a snake ( non- venomous), giant river otters (family of 6), bats, macaws , lots of other birds and insects.
Freddy was great at spotting them. His warm and welcoming personality made the trip worthwhile.
Excellent location of the lodge- farther away from others, great views. Clean, but very basic rooms.
Great value for the price!!!
Good, local food.
Highly recommended, as long as you don't have too high expectations of accimidations. Very cozy place, with comfy/ cozy dining room and other facilities... Again, amazing experience for the price! Maybe since all the money goes to orphan kids( non- profit organization).

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Estancia Bello Horizonte was the last stop on our 2 week trip in Peru (September 2011). Thankfully it hadn't really rained so humidity and mosquitos were probably much better than coming here during the rainy season.

Our guide, Freddy, was wonderful. He knew a lot about all the plants and animals, he could spot things sans binoculars, and his English was very good. He also didn't seem as serious as the other guides who spoke French, which was nice. I appreciated the sense of humor :) He even had 'arranged it' so that we could stop to get ice cream (awesome, after the heat!) and most of the French tourists didn't even join us. Then the next day, the guides/drivers bought Inka Cola (coooold) and shared it with all of us. Awesome!

The pool, which was a short walk away, was a necessity. It helped us cool down after a hot, hot day and I think allowed us to get some sleep (remember, no electricity = no fans, no a/c). Also, no hot showers at all. Even if it was nice to cool off with, it's still cold.

The food was delicious, from breakfast to lunch to dinner. I appreciated the fresh squeezed juices! On the last day, they gave us a bottle of water that had been put in the freezer and it was THE BEST EVER. They should do that more often lol.

Like the others have said, the place attracts mostly French tourists. We were the only English couple there, and it was certainly strange to have us separated from the rest during meals. We like to interact with others, so it was a little isolating. I'm sure the language barrier doesn't help. However, Freddy understood some French and we understood a tiny bit so I think it would have been fun to stick us with the rest of the group but oh well.

We also did the longest program of 4N/5D and it seemed too long. Most people seem to do the 3n/4D, but you have to pick between Lake Sandoval or Taricaya reserve. I felt like some of the programs were dragged on to kill time....we spent much more time than needed on Lake Sandoval as we roasted in the hot sun, Loboyoc creek was kind of 'meh' and Taricaya reserve was neat but I could have done without the canopy walk (I felt unsafe). And while I appreciate that it's too hot to do anything mid-day, there was a lot of time spent reading our books or swimming at the pool. Nice to relax, but I'm not sure I want to do that in 98 degrees and 85% humidity.

This place was cheaper than many of the other jungle lodges that had package deals and we saw a LOT, including monkeys, toucan, lots of butterflies, macaws, caimans, tarantulas, river otters....and I'm really glad I came here. I still recommend it but choose one of the shorter programs and come with other English-speaking people. Over all 3.75/5.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2011

I booked this lodge after reading about it in Lonely Planet and reading reviews on here. It was my last stop on a month-long trip around Peru, and although I loved the country and didn't want to come back, staying here made it a lot easier to leave.

I agree with all the other reviews, the lodge is brilliant, set in the middle of the jungle, with an abundance of wildlife. The rooms are really well equipped and comfortable, and the food is delicious and interesting.

However, as a traveller on my own, it was a terribly isolating experience.

When I arrived, I was met at the airport by Freddy, who told me we would wait for the next flight to pick up another English guy, and the two of us would be his group for our stay. We were told there were some more English couples at the lodge already and we could ask their tips on what to do etc. However, when the other guy arrived, it turned out he had booked to stay in the lodge without any of the organised tours, so I was actually the only one in Freddy's group for the tours.

We arrived at the lodge, and it turned out there were no other English speakers there at all. Freddy was the only English-speaking staff, and all the guests were French. What was worse, we were discouraged from speaking to any of the other groups and were not allowed to sit together at meals. It was a very odd setup. I then had to go on all the tours alone with Freddy who, although he did try, really did not have good English. If I had been in a large group it may have been easier, but on a one-to-one basis, having a conversation was a real struggle, and it got to the point where I did not want to go on his trips as they were uncomfortable and too much effort.

Overall, if you speak French or Spanish, or are in a large group and don't want to talk to a guide, then the lodge was brilliant, but I really regretted going on my own.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Great organisation behind it. All funds go to charity. They also run office supplies and icecream shops in town. Lovely staff, some ex students of the orphanage. Have some French and English speaking guides b ut check you are sure to get in advance. Lodge isn´t too far from town, but go further if you want deeper jungle. Food is great. Was very very quiet when I was there, which was great in a way. Tour I went on was good but I got a bit bored with the bird watching so much. Not a huge amount of animals to see but typical enough on jungle tours around. Lodge cabins are pretty good. Swimming pool is a very nice walk away, about 10 mins, and lovely bird watching tower.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2011

My husband, sister and I stayed at Estancia Bello Horizonte for 4 days in early June. The lodge was beautiful, the guide was fantastic and accomodating and the food was amazing. During the stay, we were the only group there so was like a private tour. The lodge was basic, clean and well kept. The staff was very responsive to our request. Our guide Freddy spoke very good english. Although a night tour was not included, he took us out on a night walk per our request. On the second day, we had lunch on the boat at Sandoval Lake. When Freddy took out the lunch from his bag, I was expecting a soggy sandwich like the ones we would have gotten in the states but it was chicken with rice wrapped in leaves- it was amazingly delicious. Although I didn't see as much animals as I wished- the sound of the animals and birds was amazing. it was a relaxing and enjoying stay.

The only thing I didn't like was that the pool was a 10 min walk away. We went the first day and it was kind of cool but didn't go away because we go tired from the other walks.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2011

We loved every minute of our stay at Bello Horizonte. The food was excellent - really delicious with good variety. I'd brought snacks with me to the lodge but didn't eat any of them - we were so well fed! Our guide was a really nice guy with very good knowledge and was always very enthusiastic and helpful. The lodge was well placed - none of the journeys on the day trips were too long, yet we felt perfectly deep into the jungle! The trips were great value for money, we saw and learned so much, each day was a fantastic experience. The view from the lodge was spectacular, overlooking a massive area of tree-covered marsh, and because of this we saw so many parrots and other birds flying back to their nests from the marshland every evening. There was a really nice bar area overlooking the marsh, where we played the board & card games provided and drank beer after a day's activities. One of the very best things about the lodge was the pool!! It was a 5 min walk away from the lodge, and was continuously re-filled by the freshwater river flowing into it (clean water). It was so refreshing, I am so glad we stayed in a lodge with a pool!! The huts you stay in were perfectly fine too - quite cool yet cosy. You'd be able to hear your neighbours as the walls are just made of wood and they don't reach the roof (to allow more air to circulate), but this would be the same anywhere, and for us every night was silent until the birds started flying over in the early morning!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family