“Incredible jungle experience!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Maldonado
Estancia Bello Horizonte
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Incredible jungle experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

My husband and I spent two nights here. The Amazon itself is unbearably hot and humid but so beautiful! This Eco lodge is great because of the warmth and friendliness of the staff...they are attentive and even though they don't speak the best English they are extremely willing to help. The rooms were basic but clean and during our entire stay we thankfully did not have a single encounter with a creepy crawly! The food was delicious, they catered to our dietary needs (I don't eat beef or pork) and we were treated to fresh Peruvian meals, even when on the tours! Our guide Freddy was really great! We were up early to see the parrots at the clay lick and then we went on a 3km hike and a boat trip around Lake Sandoval. An experience we will never forget! When we got back to the lodge, we hiked a km to a clear cool pool - It was so much fun splashing about in the middle of the jungle and a much needed relief from the heat :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank saiyuri m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Milano
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

Great place in the jungle and the staff was nice and funny, always ready to do something.
The lodges are essencial but really nice.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

The lodge is in a high area overlooking a beautiful palm swamp ("aguajal"). This area attracts a lot of macaws and other birds. The food is amazing and they were really accomodating of vegetarian and allergic people. The rooms were nice and clean, and sometimes we had warm showers (they have a generator and solar panels).
Both the manager and one guide could speak English well but it's best if you learn a few basic sentences in Spanish. This is not the Atlantis hotel in the Bahamas--this is an ecolodge in Peru, near the Bolivia border. It will be hot and humid and the outings might take longer than expected due to mud, weather, etc. But you get to see a piece of the world that is beautiful, isolated, and quickly vanishing.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Naiara P
Kettering, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

They genuinely care about the environemnt in which they live. Guides are very knowledgable and most speak good english. All the staff are very friendly. Rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable, overlooks a large area of jungle - perfect for watching all the mackaws. Excursions are very good and the food we had whilst away from the lodge was lovely. The food was all locally sourced and amazing! Extremely good value for money and the money all goes to a charity for orphans!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank skindog981
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

Amazing jungle experience, since we had Freddy, our guide. We got to see a sloth(!!!), however Freddy advised us you get to see this animal only once in 2 months. Other wildlife seen: cayman, tarantula, lots of monkeys, toucan, a snake ( non- venomous), giant river otters (family of 6), bats, macaws , lots of other birds and insects.
Freddy was great at spotting them. His warm and welcoming personality made the trip worthwhile.
Excellent location of the lodge- farther away from others, great views. Clean, but very basic rooms.
Great value for the price!!!
Good, local food.
Highly recommended, as long as you don't have too high expectations of accimidations. Very cozy place, with comfy/ cozy dining room and other facilities... Again, amazing experience for the price! Maybe since all the money goes to orphan kids( non- profit organization).

• Stayed November 2011
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Estancia Bello Horizonte was the last stop on our 2 week trip in Peru (September 2011). Thankfully it hadn't really rained so humidity and mosquitos were probably much better than coming here during the rainy season.

Our guide, Freddy, was wonderful. He knew a lot about all the plants and animals, he could spot things sans binoculars, and his English was very good. He also didn't seem as serious as the other guides who spoke French, which was nice. I appreciated the sense of humor :) He even had 'arranged it' so that we could stop to get ice cream (awesome, after the heat!) and most of the French tourists didn't even join us. Then the next day, the guides/drivers bought Inka Cola (coooold) and shared it with all of us. Awesome!

The pool, which was a short walk away, was a necessity. It helped us cool down after a hot, hot day and I think allowed us to get some sleep (remember, no electricity = no fans, no a/c). Also, no hot showers at all. Even if it was nice to cool off with, it's still cold.

The food was delicious, from breakfast to lunch to dinner. I appreciated the fresh squeezed juices! On the last day, they gave us a bottle of water that had been put in the freezer and it was THE BEST EVER. They should do that more often lol.

Like the others have said, the place attracts mostly French tourists. We were the only English couple there, and it was certainly strange to have us separated from the rest during meals. We like to interact with others, so it was a little isolating. I'm sure the language barrier doesn't help. However, Freddy understood some French and we understood a tiny bit so I think it would have been fun to stick us with the rest of the group but oh well.

We also did the longest program of 4N/5D and it seemed too long. Most people seem to do the 3n/4D, but you have to pick between Lake Sandoval or Taricaya reserve. I felt like some of the programs were dragged on to kill time....we spent much more time than needed on Lake Sandoval as we roasted in the hot sun, Loboyoc creek was kind of 'meh' and Taricaya reserve was neat but I could have done without the canopy walk (I felt unsafe). And while I appreciate that it's too hot to do anything mid-day, there was a lot of time spent reading our books or swimming at the pool. Nice to relax, but I'm not sure I want to do that in 98 degrees and 85% humidity.

This place was cheaper than many of the other jungle lodges that had package deals and we saw a LOT, including monkeys, toucan, lots of butterflies, macaws, caimans, tarantulas, river otters....and I'm really glad I came here. I still recommend it but choose one of the shorter programs and come with other English-speaking people. Over all 3.75/5.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

I booked this lodge after reading about it in Lonely Planet and reading reviews on here. It was my last stop on a month-long trip around Peru, and although I loved the country and didn't want to come back, staying here made it a lot easier to leave.

I agree with all the other reviews, the lodge is brilliant, set in the middle of the jungle, with an abundance of wildlife. The rooms are really well equipped and comfortable, and the food is delicious and interesting.

However, as a traveller on my own, it was a terribly isolating experience.

When I arrived, I was met at the airport by Freddy, who told me we would wait for the next flight to pick up another English guy, and the two of us would be his group for our stay. We were told there were some more English couples at the lodge already and we could ask their tips on what to do etc. However, when the other guy arrived, it turned out he had booked to stay in the lodge without any of the organised tours, so I was actually the only one in Freddy's group for the tours.

We arrived at the lodge, and it turned out there were no other English speakers there at all. Freddy was the only English-speaking staff, and all the guests were French. What was worse, we were discouraged from speaking to any of the other groups and were not allowed to sit together at meals. It was a very odd setup. I then had to go on all the tours alone with Freddy who, although he did try, really did not have good English. If I had been in a large group it may have been easier, but on a one-to-one basis, having a conversation was a real struggle, and it got to the point where I did not want to go on his trips as they were uncomfortable and too much effort.

Overall, if you speak French or Spanish, or are in a large group and don't want to talk to a guide, then the lodge was brilliant, but I really regretted going on my own.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo