“Amazon Adventure with quality lodging”

Inkaterra Hacienda Concepcion
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazon Adventure with quality lodging”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I just returned from 3 day stay @ the Inkaterra Hacienda Concepcion. My adult daughter and I stayed in bungalow (not the main lodge building) and it was an incredible & unique experience. As stated in previous reviews we were greeted by the Inkaterra staff @ the airport & taken for the very short drive to the Butterfly House office for check in. We then were driven (very unique open air transport vehicle) thru the town of Puerto Maldonado down to the little port to board our motorized canoe. A 20 minute boat ride landed us at the base of the lodge and walked up the stairs and thru a 5 minute jungle path walk to the lodge.
Our accommodation was a bungalow. It had two beds w/mosquito nets as well as an enclosed porch with a futon coach and a hammock. There were two sinks, one by the toilette & the other by the shower (separated by the entrance hall/door of the bungalow). It was a very nice retreat to go to after participating in each of the Amazon jungle adventures (which are 3 a day). The room was very clean, we had no water issues or unwelcomed Amazon wildlife in our bungalow. In fact I was very impressed how nice it was considering that we were in the jungle.
The food was much better than expected, again setting realistic expectations that you are in the Amazon jungle. Their power is supplied by a generator which only operates from 4:30am –10am and then 6pm-10pm. This means that your room ceiling fan only operates between those hours. It is very hot; my guess is 90F/32C with high humidity, all the time. Your body will adapt but it is hot!
Our guide Dino was very friendly, passionate and informative. He provided us with a wealth of information about the jungle. I certainly know much more about the Amazon then prior to my visit. They will keep you busy for the length of your stay. When we arrived in the afternoon of our 1st day, we had a pre-dinner hike and then a post dinner boat excursion. Then we were up @ 5am (for the 1st of 3 excursions) for the boat ride and jungle trek thru the mud @ Lake Sandoval. This trek thru the mud (you are provided with boots) is very strenuous and hot. It’s under 2 miles in each direction but takes well over an hour because the condition of the path. You will see many interesting things during all of your excursions.
I would recommend the Inkaterra for a once in a life time experience in a very nice setting!

Room Tip: Bungalow #s 19 & 11 are located off the pond and make for better viewing.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank JimLag
Ecommerce_manager, Ecommerce at Inkaterra Hacienda Concepcion, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments for our facilities and service provided, we are really glad that you keep great memories of your visit to the southern jungle of Peru

Thank you for staying at Inkaterra Hacienda Concepcion!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Please be aware that this review is based on our experience, and we are not saying that everyone's is going to be the same. Let me start by saying that I loved this place, not only for its beauty, the surroundings, and the wildlife, but the great service we received from most of the personnel at the hotel. However, truth be told, there is trouble in paradise. My husband and I spent five days four nights at Hacienda Concepcion, and that was our mistake, there is not enough to do for five days and if there is, we were left to our devices for a couple of days.

We arrived at this place we very high expectations and it does not disappoint from the moment your plane lands in Puerto Maldonado. Hotel reps were there to greet us and pick us up and after a short drive and brief check in session at the Butterfly House where we were greeted with a much needed cold Passion Fruit drink, we were on our way to the hotel in a large motorized canoe.

At the hotel lunch was ready and you don't have to worry about anything. introductions are conducted so you get to know your guide, who will be with you for however long you are there. Nobody tells you this, but the group you arrive with is the group you are going to be with until they depart or you depart. So go ahead and introduce yourself to the people coming with you on the boat.

The hotel serves very good food for its location and the service from the restaurant staff is absolutely incredible. Juan Carlos and Paolo are simply phenomenal. Kind, courteous, attentive and always pleasant. I only had problem once with a meal, which i sent back because the meat was undercooked, other than that, it was really great.

The Cabins. We stayed on one overlooking the lake and after lunch we were escorted there. They are fantastic and there is so much wildlife to see, it is simply marvelous. When we got to the cabin escorted by the young fellow who picked us up at the airport we learned that there were problems with the water in the sink and the shower. The water was coming out orange so he asked us to let it run for a few minutes, so we did as instructed but nothing happened. After a few hours of letting the water run (and feeling mortified for doing so), it was still orange and this time there were sediments coming out of the faucet. We complained about this several times throughout the day and nothing was done. We did so one more time at dinner and we were told by the same young fellow that he was going to send someone to fix the problem. We waited for three hours until 11:00 P.M. that night, but nothing happened and no one showed up, so aware that we had to get up early next morning for our second excursion with our guide, we wen to bed after taking showers in dirty water.

The next day after we come back from our outing, tired and sweaty after having walked to Lake Sandoval, we discovered that the water issue had not been fixed. Second shower in dirty water. We asked to speak with a manager, but after 20 minutes of inaction, we were told he was not available. At that moment, a young woman named Loralay introduced herself as the "Guests Relations Coordinator" and asked what the problem was. We explained yet again and that point we learned (over 24 hours after we complained) that the issue was greater than informed before. The filter for the entire hotel was not working. She indicated in the same sentence that she had been informed the issued had been solved and that our cabin was the only one with the same problem, contradicting herself. At this time other members of our group informed her that was no the case, as they were experiencing the same problem. She explained to us what the problem was and that it could take up to 48 hours to get the filter from the city. We get it, this is the jungle, we were not expecting to snap our fingers and have things fixed, but had we been informed this 36 hours earlier, we could have adjusted our expectations. I would like to think of ourselves as reasonable people.

Going back to the food (the menu repeats after every three days, so what you got on the first day is what you will get on your fourth one) they tell you that you cannot eat any food in the cabins, to avoid attracting rodents and insets. We complied, but it was really disheartening when we discovered on our fourth day that poundcake they had put for guests next to the coffee not he second floor of the main house was being eaten by a rat. We brought this the attention of Loralay who tried to denied it in the beginning so we pointed to the teeth marks on the cake. They took the cake away. We were informed that they used to fumigate but do no more. She also said they used to have cats but guests complained about their presence. I think a cake cover could help keep rats at bay. Just a thought.

Speaking of animals, our neighbors got a snake in their room. We were neither surprised nor alarmed. Hello, this is Amazonia. But when you arrive to the cabin they tell you to use the whistle in the bathroom as an alarm if there is an emergency. When our cabin neighbors saw the snake, they did as instructed, but no one arrived. After three attempts, he finally ran out of his cabin asking for help.

Finally, when it was time to depart, we were given our receipt and told how much we owed based on what had been consumed and I provided my credit card to pay for it. I was brought the receipt and I signed it and a copy of the credit card receipt was stapled to my bill. We were then all taken to the canoe and back to the Butterfly House, but once there, a young man by name Edison informed me that he needed my credit card again. When I asked why, he said I needed to pay my bill. I informed him I already had and showed him the receipt. He proceeded to provide three different explanations none of which made sense, and even though I provided the card again, I refused to sign a new receipt as a young woman now in tow with Edison, was demanding. I said I would not sign a second receipt so she threatened me with not giving me a copy of the credit card receipt. I informed her I already had one. My understanding of the whole incident is that at the hacienda they had no internet connectivity and that they ran a carbon copy (old fashioned way) of the card just in case the internet did not work at the Butterfly House, but once there, they had to do it via internet. What they did not understand is that it would helpful if they explained this the client before they did it as well as failing to understand that when you sing two receipts, for Americans it may appear that you are paying twice for the same thing.

Don't take me wrong, we had a great time. We had the most amazing guide in James, one of the most knowledgeable, smartest and kindest people I have ever had the fortune to cross paths with. He was accommodating to the clients' needs, but above all, he won our heart because of the way he paid special attention to members of the group who were a bit older. He never neglected any of us and was so attuned to what each one of us was interested in seeing. He was absolutely amazing. The personnel at the restaurant were perfect, but the three people at the "Gerencia" Management were absolutely useless. They made excuses about everything when sometimes a simple explanation would have sufficed. We knew we were not coming to Berlin or Paris, but even in Amazonia an simple explanation could go a long way.

Would I recommend this hotel? Absolutely. They mostly do a great job and when you hear that part of what you spend there goes to purchase land that is then preserved from development, mining, poaching, etc. you will love it even more like we did. We will probably go back one day, but at least now we know what to expect.

Room Tip: Get a Lake Cabin and ask for James as a guide.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank corazonladron
Ecommerce_manager, Ecommerce at Inkaterra Hacienda Concepcion, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this extensive review about your stay at our property.

We are very sorry to hear that we did not completely fulfill your expectations; it is extremely important for us to provide our guests with an authentic nature experience as well as quality services and facilities despite our location limitations. Your feedback has been sent to the correspondent departments and it will be very helpful for us to improve our facilities and the communication we have with our guests to avoid any similar situation.

We also appreciate your kind comments for our facilities and part of our staff, it is nice to know that overall you had a positive experience and hope to be at your service in a future occasion.

Thank you again for providing your feedback and for staying at Inkaterra Hacienda Concepcion!
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Had 4 great days in the lodge especially because of the good service from the servants + Gabriel, who taught us about the jungle. The food became boring as you received a menu but beef was daily changed to chicken. The juices were thin like they had added too much water. The room was fine, - but from the booking we thought we wouldn't stay in the main house but in one of the smaller houses instead.
Unluckily we had our important handluggage stolen from the transfer between the harbour and the the office at Butterfly House. It has caused us many days to receive a police report from the management and spoiled days afterwards. Don't leave anything in the "bus" unless it's locked into the cabin.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ellen-Mine
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights during a 2 week trip to Peru and we had a wonderful time. From the minute you arrive in Puerto Maldonado, Inkaterra staff takes care of everything. We drove from the airport to a butterfly house where we were met with cool towels and a glass of delicious starfruit juice. Then we were transferred to the dock where we met our boat and went to the Hacienda Concepcion.

The property is beautiful and very well maintained. Our cabana was so charming and well-appointed. At times it was hard to believe we were in the jungle because it felt so luxurious. The food at the lodge was delicious. There were lots of varieties of fresh fruits/veggies, quiches, pastas, salads, quinoa, lentils, chicken, beef, and fish. The desserts are great and are made with brazil nuts and chocolate grown on-site. We ate very well during our stay.

We loved all of our excursions and we cannot speak highly enough about our guide James. We did the botanical walk, the nighttime wildlife boat ride, the canopy tour, the Lake Sandoval hike, and the brazil nut walk. We were able to see so much wildlife: tamarinds, red howler monkeys, white capuchin monkeys, hoatzins, black caiman, vultures, macaws, agoutis, bats, turtles, and even a sloth. James also showed us many medicinal and edible plants. Our favorite excursion was the hike to Lake Sandoval. Even though it took a long time and was mostly through deep mud due to a heavy rain the night before, it was worth it. Watching the sunset over the trees while in the canoe on Lake Sandoval is one of my favorite memories from this trip.

We met some great people during our stay. It was so nice to be without a phone, internet, laptop, or TV for 4 days. You can just relax and explore the jungle. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a cabana if you can. It is worth it.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We are a family of five. We stayed at cabañas facing a little lake. Those cabañas were very comfortable. Each has two hammocks and listening to the incredible bird songs on a hammock was very relaxing.
The excursions were fun even though we had to keep walking in the mud. We could feel the real rainforest.
Our guide, Justo, was a genius of spotting wild animals. Thanks to him, we could see a big anaconda, a white cayman , a dwarf cayman and an anteater, not to mention various monkeys, birds and insects. He is very knowledgable, showing us many medicinal plants as well.
The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was delicious. We never forget the hot chocolate made with cacao beans grown in the region.
We had a great experience. Highly recommended.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Tetsud
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

My son (31) and I stayed here for 2 nights and cannot say enough about the staff and the experience. The cabanas are perfect. Staying in the jungle was never so luxurious but you feel at one with nature. Dawn brings bird calls, monkeys, cicadas. Astonishing. The two sink configuration in the cabana made it perfect for us getting ready at the crack of dawn. Food is outstanding. Will never forget Madre Selva Salsa Picante on superlative rice and beans. Great expeditions, knowledgable guides, caring staff.

Room Tip: Ask if any cabanas are under construction (they are expanding) and ask to be away from the expansion...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ranchmama
Ecommerce_manager, Ecommerce at Inkaterra Hacienda Concepcion, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments for our facilities and services, we are really glad that you enjoyed your visit and keep great memories of your visit to the southern Peruvian rainforest.

Thank you for staying at Inkaterra Hacienda Concepcion!
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

The Hacienda Concepcion is able to bring comfort to the jungle. The food was delicious, the outings were well organized, and the staff was helpful and friendly. We were prepared to 'repack our suitcases into backpacks' as we had read was required on other properties, but that was not necessary. Our large suitcases were taken to our cabins for us. The entire experience was seamless, from our arrival at the airport to our departure, when a staff member helped us with a problem at the airport.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
#4 of 54 in Puerto Maldonado
Corto Maltes Amazonia
Corto Maltes Amazonia
#5 of 54 in Puerto Maldonado

Been to Inkaterra Hacienda Concepcion? Share your experiences!